Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

You know it's sad when a car I found. Took the time to fix up and get ready to be painted and have the fresh 421 HO installed in ends up in the hands of a fool that is selling it. Had I not needed the money to try to save my Austin home I'd still have the 62 and it would not have been crashed by the Idiot that bought it.
It's a true 4 speed car. I spent lots of money fixing it up and putting the HO manifolds and the brand new exhaust under it. I also found and put the 8-lugs on it. The car is solid and the extra parts I also sold him so he could refix it. If I had 3k I would buy it back in a heartbeat. Don't just buy such a nice car that My friend lovingly spend days installing the new interior in and part it out.

I fixed the power windows in the car. Redid the brakes. I was not happy with them yet. I installed the new clutch. Even detailed the motor and engine bay before I sold it.

Oh the 59 4 bolt block was mine earlier. He should also have a 3:23 open pumpkin for the 62 that came out of my 63 wagon.

The power steering and box is all brand new on the car. I replaced it all. I took parts from a 2nd 62 GP I purchased to make that one good. A friend may still have it in his junk yard if you want to buy grills from it.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

I take it you don't like "KIKI very much? haha He seems like a cool dude.

It's just tough to pay 3k for a car that's wrecked when 2 automatic grand prixs just went for $1500 on ebay for the pair. Yeah, they're not real 4 speed cars but they're also not wrecked. And my 62 GP sold for $1400 and it was a really nice project car.

He said the rear in the GP is a 3.23 open which I think was standard in all the 62s anyway.

Oh yeah and the power brake booster and MC and sitting on the floor and it's got manual brakes right now.

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 01-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7;3AMEWAX%3AIT

I'd rather spend $1500 on those and do a 4 speed swap on the best one then pay $3000 for a car that's wrecked and will require straightening the frame, still finding more parts, and putting it all back together.

Again, I'm not saying the wrecked GP 4 speed isn't worth that much, but it's not to me.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
I'm kind of with you guys but I really want a Catalina and a plain jane one at that.

If it was a plain jane Catalina 4 speed car I wouldn't even hesitate
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????
??? Rob, you HAD that exact car (the red Cat from Larry) ???
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????

Old 01-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

I don't hate Kiki. He has more money than brains. Instead of restoring the car like he said he drove it and wrecked it within a few months after driving it. Of course some Uninsured Mexican blasted him. Plus he had very little ins on the car. It's rather rare to find any Pontiac with Air and standard shift back in the days. The sales people didint want to sell them do to them constantly tossing the air belt and being repaired under warrenty. As it stands. Finding a 62 stick car is rare and then adding in the Air makes it even rarer. Add the Grand prix its now really unsual. I paid almost 3k for it non running with a wasted interior when I picked it up. I put more than 3k worth of work into the car itself. The exhaust and the manifolds and adapter ran over 1500 alone.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, that Cat was too rough. My GP was a lot nicer but it need a lot of body work and I hated the brown interior. Dark red with a white top and brown interior? What was I thinking? haha I loved the interior and paint color on that Catalina though. Just more work than I wanted

Just as I was getting the impression that Kiki had a lot of money he was telling me that he didn't have any money and he got great deals on all his cars. IDK he had some cool stuff and seemed like a cool guy.

Again, I'm not saying the car isn't worth that...but it's wrecked! I can put 2 years and 10K into a car and then wreck it...but doesn't mean it's still worth 10K, or even 5K. This car has 3K in parts easily and it definitely could be restored but it's going to take A LOT of money and time to get it nice again.

As it is right now, I'm thinking it's going to cost at least 3K to get it presentable and back on the road. OR I can pay 3K for a car that's not wrecked and already running and driving. Or just buy a shell and drop in a good motor and tranny I have sitting in my garage.

Honestly I would probably do 2K on that car and that's about it. I really do like it and it would be a cool project since it is a "Real" 4 speed car.

I told him I would think about it, and I am. It's not going anywhere so we'll see what happens

Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Kiki saying he doesnt have a lot of money? Sorry, I do have to laugh a lot.
It's your money. I'm just sad to see such a nice car. (When I sold it) get into that condition and maybe end up being parted out. You get a bit attatched to them when you put lots of blood and sweat into them.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think it should be parted out. It's savable it's just going to have to be saved by someone who wants to put some money into it. And it would probably have to be someone who really wants a really well optioned, real 4 speed car.

And I think it's unfair to blame the condition of the car on Kiki. Some uninsured Mexican (like you said) pulled out in front of him and he hit them hard. Sh!t happens

Kiki says he works for a beer distributor. Where does he get the money from?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I don't think it should be parted out. It's savable it's just going to have to be saved by someone who wants to put some money into it. And it would probably have to be someone who really wants a really well optioned, real 4 speed car.
........or someone who appreciates the fact that the brakes, exhaust, etc. have already been gone through. That stuff adds up and takes a lot of time, too. With Rob's information, the car would be automatically worth more to me. But that's just me.

Quote:
It also comes with 2 fenders, a hood, lots of new weatherstripping, a box full of tail lights, 2 bumpers that need rechromed but they're straight, a radiator, a Catalina grill and front valance and some other parts
Hell, I love a project anyway. Gives me something to do. Truth be told, I enjoy restoring them more than I enjoy driving them.

'41 Plymouth Business Coupe

You can't put a price tag on a good time!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I kind of agree with you but I would much rather do exhaust and brake work than take a wrecked car apart and have the frame straightened and put it all back together.

I think my real problem with this car is the options. I don't want AC or power windows or power seats. I don't even have power locks, windows or seats in my 2007 Dodge. Hell it doesn't even have carpet. That's how I wanted it. I just want a plain jane 4 speed.

Still thinking about it though

Old 01-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
Finding a 62 stick car is rare and then adding in the Air makes it even rarer. Add the Grand prix its now really unsual.
Will someone please buy the car and store it for me until next year (when I have gotten some economic traction with the business)?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Matt, If I bought that one I'd be driving it by next yr! On second thought, Send the guy a check and me some fuel money and I'll have it read for you to drive by next yr!

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I emailed the guy an offer last night. We'll see how it goes

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He said I'm close. I'm going to take another look at it this weekend

Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 AM

Hey Rob. I've got a sweet 62 shell with a good frame you could mate with what's left of Kiki's 62 for a sweet ride.

Price is right for you!

I tried to buy that thing off Kiki a while back but he never returned by calls. Must have decided he really wants to get rid of it now.

I think the distributorship he "works for" belongs to his family and he definitely has plenty of $$. He's not selling it to pay the mortgage or anything.

I say buy it and then sell it to me for 2/3 what you paid for it in six months. I could use the rocker covers and the 4 speed console. Let me know if you come up to Austin this weekend.

Chris

Old 01-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, I'm going up there saturday morning. How did you know about this car? Does everyone in Austin know Kiki or what? haha

He said he works for the company that does coors light and shiner and the mexican beers.

Is this 62 shell you're talking about the one I sold you? haha How is that one coming along?

I don't think I'd swap these parts onto another 2 dr ht because then it wouldn't be a real 4 speed car. I've got a spare 4 speed, pedal assembly, bellhousing and flywheel so if I was just going to build a non original 4 speed I could do it without buying a REAL 4 speed car as parts. It would kind of be a shame to part it out when it really is a good shell minus the front clip

He keeps saying he really needs to get rid of it. Maybe he found a Trans Am he needs or something.

I think I'm going to end up paying more than I want to for it but I do really want it. It kinds of seems weird to pay that much for a wrecked car but I think it'll be worth it when it's finished. Actually this is more than I have paid initially for any car I have ever had.

I think with a good 4 door parts car you could definitely swap all the parts and end up with one nice REAL 4 speed car. Now I wish I bought that decent 4 door star chief in Dallas for $400 a few weeks ago...

Old 01-27-2010, 04:26 PM

Call me Sat. a.m. on your way up. 426.2809. I would say Kiki's car is worth it because of the options etc. and the fact that he has almost all the parts to put it back together.

If you want a plain old Catalina, the one you sold me would be easier to fix than Kiki's. I now have replacement sheet metal and new interior for that one, but it still needs the floor patched.

I also have a black 62 Cat with bench seat four speed and tripower & 8 lugs in pretty nice shape. I'm thinning the herd, but that one's a lot more expensive than Kiki's.

And I have a 62 GP now maroon with white interior that is an original tri power car that's pretty solid overall. Has 15 inch steelies, needs the baby moons to make it sweet.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I think with a good 4 door parts car you could definitely swap all the parts and end up with one nice REAL 4 speed car. Now I wish I bought that decent 4 door star chief in Dallas for $400 a few weeks ago..."

...Rob, remember that Star Chief/Bonneville has a longer frame that the Catalina/GP.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I was just planning on straightening the frame since it's really not that bad

I'll give you a call Saturday morning, Chris. How far are you from Kiki? I'd like to take a look at your "herd"

Old 01-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rob just get back our old red/red 3spd ,Ventura interior 62 Cat coupe since you have the numbers matching engine and stuff for it and put the fresh ported original heads back on the original block and run the chit out of it.. MAN ! Matching numbers !!!!

69 Firebird 400 Burgandy/Black
70 Olds Rallye 350 F85 4 speed 3.91's
70 Olds Cutlass Cruiser Red Wagon 350 101k miles 15 sec 1/4 12 sec w 455
74 Cheyenne Super C10 LWB Gen 6 454 w ZZ502 cam 3.07gear 13.1 1/4, 8.3 1/8
2020 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4 5.7 A8 Hemi
2007 Hummer H3 3.7 liter turd
2019 Chevy Spark petrol car 38 mpg