Old 02-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll try to exhibit more patience. Good luck on the license.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just ordering the last of the parts. I hope to have the cam in this weekend and get ready to bolt up the trans. The TV cable support will be the final challenge. If i'm aggressive enough PF i will be putting the trans in in 2 weeks!

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

Hey Willshire,

How did you addressing the adaptor or are you lucky enough to have a block with provisions for a block mounted starter? I don't even know where to start looking for this. I have a 1962 Catalina with the Slim-Jim and looking at my options!

thanks

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moshier View Post
Hey Willshire,

How did you addressing the adaptor or are you lucky enough to have a block with provisions for a block mounted starter? I don't even know where to start looking for this. I have a 1962 Catalina with the Slim-Jim and looking at my options!

thanks
Bendstens' Transmission for either a starter mount plate (1/4" thick - uses original starter) or actual adapter (to adapt a Chevy trans to a BOP block, allows the use of a mini-starter).

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/index.htm

There is also a blueprint of how to make the starter mount plate in Pete's book.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hey Willshire,

thanks
I have the mounts for a block mounted starter. And my trans is bop so win. win. i had to buy a new mini starter so now i have both styles.

If you get a BOP transmission you could use the Benstends adapter plate as mentioned above and save on a starter.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If memory serves me the block mounted starter provision appeared in 64. As the blocks went into both A and B body some used them and some didn't. I think that B body with the Slim Jim (and probably the 4 sp HM also) still used the bell housing mounted starter. By 65 with the transmission changes this was no longer needed. But manual trans may have all used the block mount.

In 64 A body I think the manual trans used the block mount and I'm not sure about the auto used in these cars.

Prior to 64 (casting numbers all changed in 64) I don't think there were any block mounted starters. So if Jim Mosher's 62 Cat still has the original block it will need the Bentsens adaptor (or similar). And if I remember right they suggest some model of MOPAR geared starter to use with that. Probably needs some non-GM snout length to properly engage the flywheel. Unfortunately the Bentsens adaptor has to add thickness which will move the transmission back some which probably accentuates the floor hump interference problems. But maybe that movement helps the trans to cross member mount questions. A lot depends on which transmission is going in.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW...

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/early_pontiac.htm

Old 02-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/index.htm

There is also a blueprint of how to make the starter mount plate in Pete's book.

K
Oops, didn't see your link, Keith.

Keith & the group (and I don't mean the 'Stones): please reply here if you have used the plans in Pete's book.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfilean View Post
If memory serves me the block mounted starter provision appeared in 64. As the blocks went into both A and B body some used them and some didn't. I think that B body with the Slim Jim (and probably the 4 sp HM also) still used the bell housing mounted starter. By 65 with the transmission changes this was no longer needed. But manual trans may have all used the block mount.

In 64 A body I think the manual trans used the block mount and I'm not sure about the auto used in these cars.

Prior to 64 (casting numbers all changed in 64) I don't think there were any block mounted starters. So if Jim Mosher's 62 Cat still has the original block it will need the Bentsens adaptor (or similar). And if I remember right they suggest some model of MOPAR geared starter to use with that. Probably needs some non-GM snout length to properly engage the flywheel. Unfortunately the Bentsens adaptor has to add thickness which will move the transmission back some which probably accentuates the floor hump interference problems. But maybe that movement helps the trans to cross member mount questions. A lot depends on which transmission is going in.
If you install something like the 2004r and maybe the th400, the quarter inch you push the trans back will not be an issue as the bellhousing is about an inch from the firewall. That being said, i believe the solution for the install would be to make shims for the torque converter to the flexplate. I am sure Pete's book finalizes this detail.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My mistake it appears the bendsten unit is 3/4" thick so pfilean may be right about firewall interference

Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This ones for you pf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	352520  

Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Wilshire. Looks like it is about ready to sling in place and see what interferes. You're lucky to have a BOP bolting flange. I think that is only possible with the 200 and not a 700 and as you have the block mount starter it works out great.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed. Ya the 700 came along after the death of the pmd engine.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is your oil filter adaptor home made? I thought the ones for header clearance turned at an angle but didn't move the filter out that far.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it right from RARE

Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Oops, didn't see your link, Keith.

Keith & the group (and I don't mean the 'Stones): please reply here if you have used the plans in Pete's book.
I have not used Pete's plans but the Bendsten part seems to match. I'm told there is an error in one of the dimensions (although I don't recall which one).

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-10-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey Willshire,

thanks
Jim (and to Keith's last post): This plate is for the non-block-starter guys (like US)...

Bendtsen's makes it. I didn't axe pricing - I am not ready for this yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new pics of adapter kits 024.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	352538  

Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that is an interesting piece. Had not seen that on Bendtsen's website (and still can't find it). Makes for interesting possibilities if you already have a BOP flange transmission.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

800 to 1000 dollars! That's not inexpensive. I will stop complaining about having to by a block mounted starter now. LOL

Old 02-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willshire View Post
800 to 1000 dollars! That's not inexpensive. I will stop complaining about having to by a block mounted starter now. LOL
I think I payed closer to $200 for my Bendsten starter mount plate a few years back (Dec '08).

No way I woulda' popped for $800. Momma would have found out and I'd be dead.

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.