Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 AM
Senior Chief

Default 1966 Tachometer Rebuilding---Where To Go?

A friend has a 1966 Canadian Pontiac with a factory tach and transistorized ignition. His tach quit working this past year.

Can someone recommend a trustworthy place he can send it to for rebuilding? Obviously with the rarity of this unit he wants to make sure it's done right and that it's someone he can trust to send it to, as he would have trouble finding a replacement if something happened to it.

Also, he needs a new lens for it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

Last edited by Carl S; 01-17-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Peter Serio is the go-to guy around the forums. Has a good reputation and is a long time forum member. http://precisionpontiac.net/

Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For the lens, I'd ask either Bob Vidan or Bruce (63gpman). Both are on these forums and both are good sources of tach information.

Agreed, Pete Serio is the guy to sort out the electronics in the tach.

Just as a side question, on your friends Canadian car, is the tach mounted on the dash (like an American built Pontiac) or is it in the centre console if its a Custom Sport? Just wondering?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
For the lens, I'd ask either Bob Vidan or Bruce (63gpman). Both are on these forums and both are good sources of tach information.

Agreed, Pete Serio is the guy to sort out the electronics in the tach.

Just as a side question, on your friends Canadian car, is the tach mounted on the dash (like an American built Pontiac) or is it in the centre console if its a Custom Sport? Just wondering?
Yes, it mounts exactly the same on our cars as on the US cars, left side top corner. Interesting that the tach is identical when the cluster is not. The cluster looks the same but our's is a printed circuit and the US models have individual wires for everything. And we never had the optional rally gauges on the Canadian models.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Senior Chief

And thanks for the input guys.

I hadn't though of asking 63gpman. I keep in touch with him over on the Canadian Poncho forum.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 PM

I had my tach rebuilt by APT Speedometer in Minneapolis, they did a good job. I've used them for several other projects over the years, they can do complete restorations with new faces and even rechroming the case and bezel if necessary. http://www.gaugeguys.com

Old 01-17-2019, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have lens with needles

Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I had my tach rebuilt by APT Speedometer in Minneapolis, they did a good job. I've used them for several other projects over the years, they can do complete restorations with new faces and even rechroming the case and bezel if necessary. http://www.gaugeguys.com
Good, thank you. I have another friend who had a 66 tach rebuilt in the Minneapolis area. I bet that is who he used as well.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
I have lens with needles
I sent you a PM Bob, thanks.