THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I Retired !

And it's wonderful. I was a union electrician for 35 years. They offer to double my pension at 55 till I am 62. So crunched some numbers and it was better financially to retire from the local. I remained with the company in the office running projects for 2 1/2 years and hated every minute of it. In 2 1/2 years I was able to pay the house and cars off. I decided to retire from the work force December 1st. I will be 58 in March.
I have 1 week under my belt. Started working out every morning and have both quarter panels cut out and new ones welded in on the 67. It is nice to be able to work on what you want anytime you want.
I always had too many hobbies and not enough time.
Over the winter I want to paint the 67 and have it ready for race season. I also want to lose 20 lbs.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:05 AM

Default retired

nice job. Great age to wrap up the 40 hour a week thief lol Now its your time. Cash many checks stay healthy ,and enjoy LIFE & the CARS ,

Old 12-06-2020, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats to you Mike! Enjoy your well earned retirement. Stay safe and active.

TOM
Old 12-06-2020, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations on your retirement! Or as I call it “permanently unemployed”.
I retired at about the same age 5 yrs ago. Everyone was telling me I’d get bored. I don’t think most people want to admit that they can’t afford to retire.
With this hobby, I don’t think a person could ever run out of things to do.

Enjoy your we found freedom!
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-06-2020, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations, Do what you want to do. Sounds like you are already getting things done.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrat's. I'm the same age and looking forward to it. But unlike you I worked for a Private company with no pension fund.
Kinda sucks now but to late to worry about it. Just finishing up new shop and hoist is coming today, so getting ready to take
a step back soon. New shop will be retirement income on my time and chosen jobs.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats!

I quit the 40+ hour a week grind in March of 2018. I now choose to work a couple days per week so that I don't have to draw on my retirement savings until after my wife retires.

It's nice to be able to go golfing or skiing in the middle of the week when there aren't so many folks trying to get some exercise.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations on your retirement. I am glad you were offered a great deal by your company. I was more or less forced out of my job after 35 years. Every year I stayed on, there was a reduction in my pension % so it was a no-brainer to leave. If your like me, in a year when you look back you will never understand how you had time for a full time job. The only regret I have is since I was only 57 when forced out, I had to all of a sudden pay 100% of my wife and my health care. The 20+K hit every year and the very minimal coverage has forced me back to work a part time job just to pay for that. Otherwise, it's great. Have fun and get the cars done!

Old 12-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations!

Sounds like you landed in a good spot with a good attitude at a young age. All great things for you!

Enjoy your transition!

I retired in May 2019... I sometimes miss the job but don't miss the stress!

Old 12-06-2020, 12:54 PM
Senior Chief

Congrats on your retirement, enjoy it. We are closer to the end, then the beginning. I know that sounds morbid, but it’s true. I’ve been retired since Dec of 08. I occasionally work in a parts store at my own convenience. My wife will retire at the end of 2021 and then we’ll spend a good portion of winter in sunny Florida.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:23 PM
Senior Chief

Congratulations on your retirement, I retired a few years ago at 57. It took some time to adjust to it but I love it. I miss the people but not the job. I finished my long term project 67 GTO and purchased a beach house in Florida. I love when people ask me what I do with my time. I tell them “anything I want”.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats! I'm 64 and can't retire just yet but have cut my hours back to 32 a week. Nice having 3 days off in a row in the middle of the week.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-06-2020, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Way to go! I wish you a long and happy retirement!

Old 12-06-2020, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congrats. Live long and prosper. I have found that the younger a person retires, the longer they live. I've seen too many older people work as long as they possibly can, only to die a year or two after they retire. My plan is to spend more time on retirement than I worked. The only negative is that my body tells my brain it can't to the same things as when I was a bit younger.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 12-06-2020, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a ways to go...but I'm happy for ya Mike!!

Old 12-06-2020, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats! My pre-retirement is practicing retirement. Been good.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:26 PM

Smile

Sounds like you have a great plan Mike! You've got a jump on the car project, and it you only have to lose 20lbs...you're way ahead of most guys our age!
Congrats on your well earned retirement.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I drew my retirement at 51 years old, It will feel like a vacation for a month or so then you will realize you don't have to go back to work. I too don't know when I had time to have a job. Enjoy your retirement I know I am enjoying mine.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations. I liked retirement so much that I did it 3 times! Finally retired fully in March, 2019 at the age of 68. I tell people I still work full time only I don't get paid and I can't take a day off from retirement!

Old 12-07-2020, 12:24 AM
Senior Chief

Lucky for you to retire with pension.

I'm one month into it, no pension, 63, retired from a 40 year career as a GM parts manager but stepped down to being a counter guy 3 days a week for the last 7 years. I spent the last 35 years at the same dealership. Great co-workers (except for one of them, wont get into that....), tremendous boss, never had to ask for a raise in 35 years.

The first 2 weeks I scrambled around trying to work hard on old car stuff, then realized if I don't do it today, I can do it tomorrow, every day is the same! I absolutely love retirement except I miss my co-workers and my customers. I worked in a small town and likely greeted about 95% of the people by first name when they walked in the door.

You're gonna love it but it certainly takes some mental adjustments, it's not simple like I thought it would be!