THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:02 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Their search is worthless: look for Pontiac heads and you get tons of 'featured crap". ie. LED lights etc.

It won't get any better until they lose many more sellers.
Exactly, Ebay is getting close to useless if you are looking for a specific item. It's just about impossible to narrow the search enough because they let guys lits anything and everything in categories that have very little to do with what you are looking for. I seldom use it any more.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Joined ebay in 1998; have seen many changes.

Worst (my opinion) thing ebay has done is eliminate listing fees. This has been responsible for LOTS of problems.

Never did sell a lot on ebay (on average, most items bring maybe 60 percent of actual value; new old stock Bugatti parts might be an exception).

But buy a LOT of stuff for our shop on ebay, and save ridiculous amounts of money!

Example: refurb HP laser printer for $139. with free shipping and a warranty. New price is $995.

Example: new slide scanner with open box for $41. with free shipping. List price $199.

Example: fiberglass reinforced strapping tape (in quantity), $1.05/roll (again, free shipping).

No, I didn't like the give them the bank account number, but solved that problem with a bank account that is used for ebay only.

No, I don't like paying fees on shipping (a future class action suit on this issue would not surprise me).

For selling, I use my website for decent stuff, and Ebay for blowing out "garage sale" stuff.

But buying is where ebay is very useful.

I have no problem with searches except because of the no listing fees and all the overpriced stuff I have to wade through.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2021, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
Exactly, Ebay is getting close to useless if you are looking for a specific item. It's just about impossible to narrow the search enough because they let guys lits anything and everything in categories that have very little to do with what you are looking for. I seldom use it any more.
Searching can be difficult, but it helps to modify your search. For instance, if I go to to eBay>eBay Motors>Parts and Accessories>Cars and Truck Parts, and do a search using "1961 Pontiac" I get 52,412 hits. By changing the search to "1961 Pontiac -(fits)" the number gets reduced to 7,646 hits. I can add more things that I want to skip, like "1961 Pontiac -(fits, thermostat, radiator)" and so on, to further reduce the number of hits. Then I look at the check boxes on the left side of the page and click them as desired; for instance, clicking the "used" box gets the number of hits down to 364.

The biggest thing is usually deleting any auction that has the word "fits" in it, those auctions are almost always for a universal part like a Dorman gas cap I could get at any parts store, or else for some useless trinket like fuzzy dice.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:45 AM
Senior Chief

Yes, I've been doing the "-fits" for a while because that really knocks it down but I just don't like it that ebay is just filling their site with so much unrelated crap. They have no interest in helping the buyer and only an interest in lining their pockets. They don't seem to care at all about customer service, sadly.

Old 09-02-2021, 03:35 AM
Suspended

And it doesn't matter if sellers provide bank details for payment, and request it as such, moments later you get a notification that the buyer has ignore your message and used Paypal anyway. Yes, it's quick and easy but as a seller you get hit twice with their fees and of total selling price. Why am I paying for their laziness and selfish actions? On the flip side, while it's rare, I do see guys who don't want payment by Paypal, or if so to use the Friends option that doesn't involve fees, also doesn't cover much in the way of lost items, but either does the other way these days. If they request bank deposit, then I put aside an extra 45 sec of my day to do so, so my purchase doesn't cost someone an extra $15 for no reason, and more than that, because they asked me to.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Their search is worthless: look for Pontiac heads and you get tons of 'featured crap". ie. LED lights etc.

It won't get any better until they lose many more sellers.
I always use "Pontiac heads -light"

Old 09-05-2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
And it doesn't matter if sellers provide bank details for payment, and request it as such, moments later you get a notification that the buyer has ignore your message and used Paypal anyway. Yes, it's quick and easy but as a seller you get hit twice with their fees and of total selling price. Why am I paying for their laziness and selfish actions? On the flip side, while it's rare, I do see guys who don't want payment by Paypal, or if so to use the Friends option that doesn't involve fees, also doesn't cover much in the way of lost items, but either does the other way these days. If they request bank deposit, then I put aside an extra 45 sec of my day to do so, so my purchase doesn't cost someone an extra $15 for no reason, and more than that, because they asked me to.
Buyers can still use Paypal to pay for items but the payment doesn't go into the seller's Paypal account. It goes into the Managed Payments system which it then transferred to your bank account. When a buyer pays via Paypal the seller does not have to pay any additional fees. The eBay sellers fee of 12.35-12.50% are the only fee the seller has to pay once an item is sold. It doesn't matter how the buyer pays. Buyers have never been able to pay for eBay items using Paypal family & friends.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The managed payment system is slow and just generally sucks. A 3 day wait to receive my money is unacceptable in this era.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-05-2021, 07:09 AM
Suspended

And all it says is you've been paid. Oh really, where is it? What payment method? They can't even notify you of that, even though you can assume. It's all set up for lazy people and nothing of any service. Problem is, it killed off the alternatives years ago. We haven't even had car swap meets in 15-20 years here, no one has anything lying around anymore.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had eBay take the money out of my paypal account and give it back to a buyer who didn’t like a used part he got from me. They did that before the item had been returned to me and the buyer was telling me he would keep it if I would take some off price. He was fishing for money off and eBay didn’t stand behind the seller and like I said took it out of my account that was the last thing I ever listed on eBay.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ever since Ebay decided to remove the option for sellers to leave negative feedback, the venue has been lopsided in favor of the buyers, apparently in an effort to drum up business. It's not reassuring for the sellers when you encounter a difficult to please buyer, or just a flake, and you have very little backing. Ebay needs to return to it's roots if it wants to thrive. I just really hate it anymore..

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

The Following User Says Thank You to 77 Canamman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 12:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
The managed payment system is slow and just generally sucks. A 3 day wait to receive my money is unacceptable in this era.
That's more of an issue with YOUR bank than Ebay. My Credit Union receives Ebay payouts in one day.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 09-05-2021, 12:48 PM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

A check or MO in the mail a few days longer or Overnight UPS express Mail for $15 buck VS 12.25 % Of a 60K car?
SEVENTY THREE HUNDRED BUCKS PayPal RIPOFF fees??
WTF!!
LOL LOL LOL
Perhaps fly there Look at it then drive it back Or truck it back ALL for less then Half “PAYPAL”..

I bought some Pontiac things about maybe $$13K worth cost only shipping and Z-E-R-O- on mammon transfer!!!

Z-E-R-O!!

I guess its the "hypnotic trance" the luxury of having things so conveniently acquired, that it puts ppl into this openhanded state of GIVING to some bastards entity like that.

Maybe I’m missing something.

Maybe NOT!

Have at it paylal'syl!!

Last edited by 1969400HO; 09-05-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969400HO View Post
A check or MO in the mail a few days longer or Overnight UPS express Mail for $15 buck VS 12.25 % Of a 60K car
Don't forget that a 12% buyer's fee is pretty typical for most classic car auctions, so buying one on eBay really isn't any different. You can buy a car direct from an owner, or you can go the auction route, it's just a matter of choice.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Ever since Ebay decided to remove the option for sellers to leave negative feedback, the venue has been lopsided in favor of the buyers, apparently in an effort to drum up business. It's not reassuring for the sellers when you encounter a difficult to please buyer, or just a flake, and you have very little backing. Ebay needs to return to it's roots if it wants to thrive. I just really hate it anymore..
Very true eBay has made it almost impossible to leave negative feedback it’s a false feeling of security and really false when you just got screwed and can’t do any about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
That's more of an issue with YOUR bank than Ebay. My Credit Union receives Ebay payouts in one day.
Not sure where the bottleneck is. When I used Paypal, I could opt to get my money within minutes. Someone other than me is earning interest on my funds. It's a terrible system that will also report earnings to the IRS.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-06-2021, 09:59 PM
Senior Chief

if someone came up with something ...that was ebay when it first started out, they'd be raking in some bucks. Those were fun and profitable days.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2021, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I stopped selling on eBay years ago.I buy a ton on a t a use PayPal.Never have had a issue returns.I just bought a pair of 3/4 in nylon dock lines and when they arrived they were 5/8.Had a return tag the same day and went back and refund in the second day after they signed for it.FWIW,Tom

Old 09-09-2021, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
Are you one of their power sellers? I've sold maybe a grand of stuff this year. I just received a small payout of $100. I was paid by the buyer on 9/4. Ebay released the funds to my financial institution yesterday, 9/8. I received the funds to my account this morning 9/9. Therefore, It is not a bank issue. It's just slow-ass BS Ebay.

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-09-2021, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

77, are you signed up with eBay get get funds everyday or once a week? It might be you and maybe with the little amount you sell, you don't have a choice.