THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
I find interesting posts from those doing elevated beds, etc.

Seems there is always some self-annointed expert writing a column on how to garden in various local papers.

Items my Dad tried:

(1) Hanging tomatoes from a suspended pot. Didn't work, vines broke where they hung over the pot
(2) Tomatoes and peppers in 5-gallon buckets. Didn't work, impossible to get the proper water level in the bucket.
(3) Potatoes in tires. Just keep stacking tires and dirt. Worked to a degree, but digging the potatoes was a real pain.

One trick Dad devised himself:

After pouring the concrete in a 20 by 40 garage (mixed by us in a small mixer, ouch!), we had a part of a roll of concrete reinforcement wire left. We cut it into 56 inch lengths, and then welded up the sides to form cylinders 18 inches in diameter and 6 feet tall. Set out the the plants 18 inches apart, and when the plants are about 2 feet tall install the cages, sticking the bottom end into the ground. Tie them together at the top, and drive a steel post at each end of the row. The grid on the wire is 6 inch, so plenty of room to pull the tomatoes, and the cage row keeps the plants upright, even when hit with the wind storms we occasionally experience.

Also works well on cucumbers.

Jon
I grew tomatoes in FL in five gallon buckets due to the nematode infestation in the soil in S. FL. They did well as long as you grew them in the winter months. The summers were simply too hot for most varieties of tomatoes. I found that 25 gallon livestock watering tubs work very well here in S. Indiana. You just have to drill enough holes for good drainage. Using the watering tubs I normally have plants 6-7 feet tall that produce nearly a bushel of tomatoes each( German Queens and Cherokee Purples).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-15-2022, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dataway, just be thankful you don't have the Spotted Lantern Fly to go with them like we do here in Delaware.

The flower garden I take care of is going downhill fast for this time of year. Leaves are already falling off the trees too. And we've had lots of rain here.

It wasn't supposed to rain today but we had rain from 7am to almost 10. And a double rainbow too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well - first results from our first ever fall garden:

Planted beans, beets, and turnips.

Turnips were better than the spring garden (not so strong in taste).

Got the first batch of beets this morning, enough for a small canning.

Lots of beans beginning to form.

Looks like we will do a fall garden again.

As far as the spring garden is concerned, everything is done except tomatoes, and they will probably last about another week.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well - first results from our first ever fall garden:

Planted beans, beets, and turnips.

Turnips were better than the spring garden (not so strong in taste).

Got the first batch of beets this morning, enough for a small canning.

Lots of beans beginning to form.

Looks like we will do a fall garden again.

As far as the spring garden is concerned, everything is done except tomatoes, and they will probably last about another week.

Jon
Jon, what variety of beans are you growing. I normally grow Blue Lake Bush, but my wife’s siblings are whining for Half Runners. My dad and I quit growing Half Runners for a reason; they are a PITA to grow in this part of the world!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2022, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We grow Early Contender and Blue Lake. The Early Contender are about 10 days quicker to harvest than the Blue Lake. By planting two varieties, we can stagger harvest. Canning 20 quarts of beans at one time is not as much fun as it was 55 years ago; canning 40 quarts at the same time is that much less fun!

We normally get two good pickings, but in a good year we will get three from the Blue Lake.

The final picking, generally pull the vines, throw them in the Gator, and head for a shade tree to pick and snap. On occasion, have had the Gator piled as high as possible, and a 2 wheel garden trailer behind the Gator also running over.

I have tried other varieties, but these two seem to be best for us in central Missouri.

I don't remember ever trying a Half Runner.

We did have decent results with Top Crop, but not as good as the other two.

70 years ago, when I was a kid; my folks grew pole beans to get me involved. Lots of fun! Go to the woods and cut poles; then make four-corner "tepees" with overhead connectors to strengthen the tepees. These were lima beans, and of course we got to shell the beans when ripe.

As I grew older, these grew to be less fun, and a lot of work; and the folks switched to bush beans. We did grow pole beans one year when our kids were young, but WAY too much work unless you are trying to involve the kids!

Jon

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 09-22-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We grow Early Contender and Blue Lake. The Early Contender are about 10 days quicker to harvest than the Blue Lake. By planting two varieties, we can stagger harvest. Canning 20 quarts of beans at one time is not as much fun as it was 55 years ago; canning 40 quarts at the same time is that much less fun!

We normally get two good pickings, but in a good year we will get three from the Blue Lake.

The final picking, generally pull the vines, throw them in the Gator, and head for a shade tree to pick and snap. On occasion, have had the Gator piled as high as possible, and a 2 wheel garden trailer behind the Gator also running over.

I have tried other varieties, but these two seem to be best for us in central Missouri.

I don't remember ever trying a Half Runner.

We did have decent results with Top Crop, but not as good as the other two.

70 years ago, when I was a kid; my folks grew pole beans to get me involved. Lots of fun! Go to the woods and cut poles; then make four-corner "tepees" with overhead connectors to strengthen the tepees. These were lima beans, and of course we got to shell the beans when ripe.

As I grew older, these grew to be less fun, and a lot of work; and the folks switched to bush beans. We did grow pole beans one year when our kids were young, but WAY too much work unless you are trying to involve the kids!

Jon
My maternal grandfather grew KY Wonders, which are a pole bean. He would dry the last beans of the season in his shed, then would have my maternal grandmother rehydrate the beans and cook them with salt pork. He called them “Leather Britches”; my MIL called them “shuck beans”. I call both disgusting because that taste like mildew smells. There isn’t enough salt pork or jowl bacon in the world to cover up that taste. My paternal grandfather( a REAL farmer) grew beans for dry beans and for canning.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-25-2022, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Growing up as a kid in the 60,'s I remember my Mom, and her mother coming together in our home, having a couple of canning events. We grew all kinds of stuff all mentioned here.
We had a fairly large garden plot. The last couple of years that we lived at this particular home (Center Point, Iowa, I still consider it to be be a pretty close facsimile to Mayberry...) our dying neighbor lady invited us to plant and use her equally large garden spot, as well. I was across the street from a field, that usually had corn growing in it. One spring we had a huge rain event ( not unusual in Iowa). A bunch of of the top soil had washed across the street onto the gartden. I'd like to tell you that the rich humus black soil made a difference in that garden, but it did not. The soil that saw there to start with was already that perfect BLACK RICK Iowa soil that much of the state has already had!!!

We hadneighbors and friends that had lots of purple grapes, that invited us to pick all we wanted. My Mom always made tons of grape Jelly. My Mom got a recipe for canning grape juice (not wine, mind you, not in our home). My had grape juice to drink for a couple of months after canning, it was great!!!
My Mom found a recipe for making home made ketchup. It was not so great, but she used it in making stews and soups. That worked out well. Man my mom was a great cook!!!
It was a pretty big process to can corn, except we cut it off the cob and put it in the plastic bags that went inside of these squares white containers. To prep the corn for eating , you couol put the plastic bags in boiling water. My brother's wife does the corn freezing, to this day. Everyone loves that corn at Christmas and Thanks giving!!!

Jon, thanks for this thread. It's a great "feel good" for me as I am recouping from an auto accident!!!
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First picking of the first fall planting of beans is good; far fewer bugs to contend with than the spring beans. 1 row picked 3 gallons of beans.

VERY happy with my first fall garden.

Jeff - my Mother used to can grape juice, and I would have a full glass (oranges do not grow in Missouri) every morning before school. Guess what can happen to canned grape juice? Certainly am happy I had no tests at school that day

Jon