Old 02-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default 66 oil pressure gauge

I have been following the other thread about building your own oil pressure sending unit for a 66 gauge cluster, since they are virtually unobtainable. I want to install this wrecking yard cluster in my car.

I decided to test my gauge tonight to make sure the figure of 35 ohms would indeed register about 60 lbs on my gauge, and test all along the scale up to there for accuracy.

I borrowed our Kent Moore current generator from our dealership. You hook it up to the resistor dial and vary the ohms while you watch the gauge. When I do this, I can't even get my gauge to move. I am trying to figure out if my gauge is bad.

My question for you guys who have a driving car with gauges is this---

When you get in and turn on your key but don't start the car, does the oil gauge needle move at all before you start the car? I don't understand well enough how the oil gauge works to figure out where my problem is here. I am thinking the temp gauge won't move at all but the oil gauge will?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Senior Chief

Duh, it just hit me like a rock.

Ground the cluster case for testing, stupid!!! Works fine.