Old 06-13-2016, 12:13 AM
Senior Chief

Default Speed warning identification---What did I buy?

I bought a speed warning that is supposed to be from a 66 Canadian Pontiac. Now, before you say that's not for a 66 (because the knob for the needle isn't in the lens), remember that Canadian 66's used a printed circuit on the clusters, not separate wires for each function like your clusters in the US used. With that said, does the shape of this cluster look correct to you for a 65 or 66? I know the US speedwarning has the knob in the lens for adjusting the yellow needle but possibly our Canadian models have it like this one? I've never seen a Canadian 65-66 speedwarning to know.

My one thought is, the top corners of this cluster don't look right for 65-66. To me they look older, like 63-64 maybe? However, I thought 63-64 had the ammeter and fuel gauge in them?

I'm confused!

Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 AM

Hi, I have a 64 GP and here is an old pic showing the cluster:

Don't have a better pic handy at present. Yes, it does have the battery and fuel gauge but my car had A/C originally so the three middle gauges would have been replaced by a clock and a vent. If the car had no A/C then the three gauges would have taken over from the two in the cluster. Hope that helps a bit.
Hugh.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Carl, the later US Pontiacs had printed circuits also, but still maintained a through the lens adjustment knob. It almost feels as if someone put the speed minder part on that cluster.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 06-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume that cable on the back adjusts the needle? Never seen one that mounts remote. Have owned both '63 & '66, but I can not tell from Pics. I agree that it might be something put together from multiple heads. It might just be missing the correct lens? I rebuilt mine, but can not recall how the cable routes to the control knob on the face. They are difficult to keep working. The fine wire that goes to the rheostat wants to move and get snagged.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-13-2016, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 63 speedo head I have looks the same. The adjustor knob mounts in the bottom of the dash. The hole should be there.

Those with the aux gauge package and AC cars has the gas gauge and ammeter mounted in the head. I would post pics of both types but, traveling.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:46 AM
Senior Chief

This all helps but ideal would be to see pictures of the one Ziggy has, sounds like it would be a clincher!

Ziggy, if you are willing, this is not urgent so I'd love to see you post a pic of a 63 GP speed warning when you get a chance.

Thanks to all of you.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:47 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
I assume that cable on the back adjusts the needle? Never seen one that mounts remote. Have owned both '63 & '66, but I can not tell from Pics. I agree that it might be something put together from multiple heads. It might just be missing the correct lens? I rebuilt mine, but can not recall how the cable routes to the control knob on the face. They are difficult to keep working. The fine wire that goes to the rheostat wants to move and get snagged.
Yes, that cable moves the needle and works perfectly. It does not appear that the lens has ever been removed from this unit. Those crimps look totally untouched on the lens retainer.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup. A 63 Bonneville/GP Speedminder without A/C.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:52 AM
Senior Chief

Rats!

Oh well, guess I have to decide now if I take it apart and see if I can make it work in a 66 speedo head, or sell it.

Thanks to all of you who helped.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have some 66's for sale, then you could sell your 63 setup.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I would sell and buy the correct one. They go for cheap. Just make sure to have a good solder joint on the red wire inside the head before installing.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-15-2016, 11:44 PM
Senior Chief

This is for my Canadian model 66 and technically, there is no correct one. We didn't have them until 67 on the Canadian Pontiacs. I was thinking I might just try to adapt this one though. Thanks for the tip on the solder joint.

Bob, thanks for the offer but I'll pass since if I do end up doing this, it will be on a car that is totally original and I don't really want to have that adjustment knob that the US models have in the lens.