THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default EBAY listing fee scam

recently i sold some parts on ebay, so like always you pay a listing and final value fee. So i sold the item for 450.00 and shipping was 200.00 (cylinder heads). ebay sent me a final value fee of 81.00... so i did the math. they charged me the 12.5 percent on the auction price, shipping and the sales tax...i sent them a message asking if it was right and they said yes. I explained to them that the tax is paid to the state and shipping charges to the shipper(fed ex). why would they charge for that? they said its their policy. i guess when listing items you must pad your price an extra 12.5% on the shipping and price of the item. otherwise you will lose money. I still think they should have only charged me on the 450 not 710.00, the auction price for the goods. not for the shipping service and state tax...EBAY is ripping people off.....

Old 06-21-2021, 07:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve list money every time I’ve sold something on eBay

Old 06-21-2021, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been that way for a while. In the past, ebay only charged a fee on the selling price, excluding shipping, but sellers found a loophole. Using your example, listing heads with a buy it now price of $1.00 plus $649 shipping, ebay only collected a percentage of the one dollar.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 06-21-2021, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that provides insight, thanks.

Only ebay SELLING i do is beer cans and vacuum tubes. Shipping low enough on those puppies.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They took me to the cleaners on a recent sale of an LSA supercharger lid. Then they held my money for four weeks. Now they want my banking info to bypass PayPal. Im done with selling on ebay. Never again….

Don

Old 06-21-2021, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
They took me to the cleaners on a recent sale of an LSA supercharger lid. Then they held my money for four weeks. Now they want my banking info to bypass PayPal. Im done with selling on ebay. Never again….

Don
yep, no more paypal for sellers to collect their money. Now you have to have a bank account connected to your ebay profile so they can collect their ridiculous fees immediately after the sale.

No thanks.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:40 AM
Senior Chief

I left Ebay years ago as a seller, and rarely buy anymore. Their initial concept and business model was good, and successful - but like the US Congress, the more rules they add and change the game - the worse it works for everyone but them.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don
As soon as they told me they had to have my bank account info to sell stuff I pulled my only ad and I’m done selling there. Didn’t they start PayPal? Their greed will end up hurting them but I don’t think they care.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:51 AM
Senior Chief

Default e bay

I stopped selling on e bay as well, when they asked for my bank account info.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ebay has done many interesting things over the years; many because of those that sell on Ebay (the reason for the selling fees on the shipping has already been discussed in this thread).

Personally, I would LOVE to see them again start charging a listing fee, with a reduction in final sales fees. Now that there are no listing fees, some vendors are listing items at literally "dream" prices, then if someone watches the auction, sending them a "private" discount of maybe 15 percent (if one lists a hundred dollar item for a thousand dollars, then a 15 percent discount is still slightly overpriced ). Bringing back listing fees would minimize all the overpriced stuff one sees.

I didn't like the bank account issue, but had a talk with our bank manager. Have been with this bank for almost 60 years, and there are perks. One of which is a zero-balance account with no service charge. So we set up a special account so we could give the number to ebay, and funds are immediately transferred out of the account when something sells.

And no offense meant to anyone, but anyone that thinks 12.5 percent final value fees is high has NEVER been around auction companies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learned this fact when disposing of my parents estate. Locally, if you bundle the stuff and take it to the location of the auction company, and allow it to be sold with no reserve, the fee is 25 percent!

If you have the auction company hold at auction at your location, the MINIMUM is 40 percent (again, sold with no reserve, except real estate), and they won't do the auction unless you have a certain value of goods.

The worst part of selling on ebay, unless one has new old stock Bugatti parts, is there is almost always someone that will undercut your price, and you have to cut the price to sell the item. Retail sales on ebay is an oxymoron.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 10:17 AM
Senior Chief

At least around here, Facebook Marketplace has mostly replaced eBay for cars.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not defending eBay but it's their site, they make the rules, they don't hide them and if you're not smart enough to research the info before you use them ................ it's on you.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:45 PM

Ebay does make it confusing but I am sure they get scammed by crooked sellers and that is why they keep changing the rules. Ebay reaches the widest range of buyers IMO and that is why I still sell there. I think they also have those hard to find car parts that other places no longer carry. Selling junkyard parts on Ebay is my side hustle and allows me money to work on my projects. In fact it has allowed me to purchase parts to put AC in the 79 Truck.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
Not defending eBay but it's their site, they make the rules, they don't hide them and if you're not smart enough to research the info before you use them ................ it's on you.
Yeah, that's not the issue though. Ebay built their userbase by being pretty easy to use, and fair when it came to fees and user costs. Over the years they got greedy, screwed over sellers while catering to buyers, and now are trying to get sellers direct bank info.

Ebay sucks now. I used to get a ton of stuff off that site, but now it's one of the last sites I'll check for stuff.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 06-23-2021, 11:20 AM

I'm done with selling anything on ebay. I'll still buy a lower priced item occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 06-23-2021, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't ebay much anymore, but I still put a bigger item on there if needed. If I reach a huge audience, make 20-40% more than local or PY sale, fees still work in OK. I don't like or dislike ebay, it just is, and fits a place.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:28 AM
Senior Chief

Just buy parts on eBay but do quite often, last was about a week ago. Usually under a Benjamin. Have never had PayPal so not an issue, is a way to have seller send an invoice so can pay as a guest. Usually look for "fast and free" shipping.

Do think for larger items (cars) Facebook Marketplace is taking over. At least you have direct contact with the seller.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:41 AM

Done with them myself, Hadn't listed anything in a while, and sold a 500.00 slot car they tried to take 80.00 and hold my money for 4 weeks. Told them and the buyer I would ship when paid. buyer was cool about it Ebay said no shipping no payment. Cancelled the sale and got with the buyer and he Paypaled me 500.00, Happy ending and eBay suspended me for it lol

Old 06-23-2021, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t sell on eBay anymore either they have ****ed me a few times. They have also made it almost impossible to leave negative feedback as buyer or seller It’s censorship to make it feel like a better place than it really is.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only thing I sell on Ebay is vehicles.

If they think I'm gonna let them take 12% of my sale they're nuts. I guess I'm done with them.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National