Old 04-27-2020, 09:21 AM
Senior Chief

Default 1957 fuel tank - another try

So I am now patching the patches on my original fuel tank. And I am about done dealing with it.

I found a guy in IL that runs a shop - Rock Valley Antique Auto. Jason says he has patterns to build a new tank for my Chieftain out of stainless steel. NOT cheap! Not stock looking, but I don't really care as long as the gas stays inside the tank. Has anyone here used his tanks before?

I also found that there are replacement tanks for 61-64 Pontiacs that might possibly work, but I cannot find dimensions. The filler neck is different, but the locating dimples in the top and the location and angle of the sender hole look right. Anyone tried one of these tanks in their late 50s Pontiac? Capacity is higher (25 gal) but if it fits, that is just a bonus. I'll post up in the other forum too.

Link to replacement available from Summit - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/opg-gbc2271

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...gbc2271_xl.jpg

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 04-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no idea if you've already read this thread on the H.A.M.B. about a 55 Pontiac gas tank. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ptions.383343/

I'm aware that 55 is not the same tank as a 57, but it has to be close enough that you can possibly make one of these suggestions work for your car. Since there are no replacement tanks for 57, it from the posts it seems that even back to 52, no one makes tanks. Finding something close and adapting it is probably the easiest way out. There is a mention of looking up a tank in the Hollander interchange, says 57 is a one year only, and nothing else made by GM is a direct fitment.

This guy used an older Mustang tank, and cut a hole in the trunk and suspended it the same way ford did. If your car is a nice example, you're probably going to rule out using the mustang tank due to cutting out the trunk floor.

There is also a mention of using a GM truck tank. Maybe this will help, or it may be of no value to you, just trying to find something that may give you some useful info. Good luck.............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-27-2020, 03:15 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Brad. I've danced around this problem before. Thanks for the HAMB link (I have read it before too). No way I would cut my rust free trunk up for the mustang tank, but it would be an option if it were a Swiss cheese Pontiac .

I'll probably have someone build a tank for it. I am half tempted to do it myself - I can tig weld, just need to have a good consistent means of bending the SS sheet. Plus build baffles while I am at it. In the end, the $900 the guy in IL wants for the custom tank is probably smart money in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I have no idea if you've already read this thread on the H.A.M.B. about a 55 Pontiac gas tank. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ptions.383343/

I'm aware that 55 is not the same tank as a 57, but it has to be close enough that you can possibly make one of these suggestions work for your car. Since there are no replacement tanks for 57, it from the posts it seems that even back to 52, no one makes tanks. Finding something close and adapting it is probably the easiest way out. There is a mention of looking up a tank in the Hollander interchange, says 57 is a one year only, and nothing else made by GM is a direct fitment.

This guy used an older Mustang tank, and cut a hole in the trunk and suspended it the same way ford did. If your car is a nice example, you're probably going to rule out using the mustang tank due to cutting out the trunk floor.

There is also a mention of using a GM truck tank. Maybe this will help, or it may be of no value to you, just trying to find something that may give you some useful info. Good luck.............

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 04-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

Answering my own question while I am at it - found the dimensions for the '61-'64 tank at Auto City.

Steel Gas Tank- 25 Gallons tank.
Dimensions: 41" x 30" x 8"

Fits Models: 1961-1964 Pontiac Fullsize Passenger Cars Bonneville, Catalina, Grand Prix, Star Chief

Way too big to fit, and by the time I buy this for $300 and then spend too many hours cutting and re-welding, it's still a mild steel tank. I can see that having a custom SS tank made for about twice what it costs to make myself is still a better way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr67gp View Post
So I am now patching the patches on my original fuel tank. And I am about done dealing with it.

I found a guy in IL that runs a shop - Rock Valley Antique Auto. Jason says he has patterns to build a new tank for my Chieftain out of stainless steel. NOT cheap! Not stock looking, but I don't really care as long as the gas stays inside the tank. Has anyone here used his tanks before?

I also found that there are replacement tanks for 61-64 Pontiacs that might possibly work, but I cannot find dimensions. The filler neck is different, but the locating dimples in the top and the location and angle of the sender hole look right. Anyone tried one of these tanks in their late 50s Pontiac? Capacity is higher (25 gal) but if it fits, that is just a bonus. I'll post up in the other forum too.

Link to replacement available from Summit - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/opg-gbc2271

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...gbc2271_xl.jpg

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 04-28-2020, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, Does tanksinc make anything that will work?

Old 04-28-2020, 11:52 PM

Do you have dimensions for the original tank?

Old 04-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Jim, Does tanksinc make anything that will work?
Had not come across their site, Steve, but I will look and post up if I find something. Thanks for the suggestion.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 04-29-2020, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Do you have dimensions for the original tank?
Stuart - I have the original tank, so I have all the dimensions I need. The IL shop wants me to send the old tank for confirmation of locations of fuel sender and fill neck holes.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 04-29-2020, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

When I did my 37 I found one from tanksinc that worked, I believe it was for a 48 chev. They have a good selection, should be able to find one with the correct inlet to work.

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:43 PM
Senior Chief

Nothing from Tanksinc will be usable without modification for a'57. Chevy stuff is too small and none have matching orientation of filler opening and sender mounting.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT