Old 02-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Senior Chief

Default 68 GP Gas guage stuck help

Ever since I had the car, the needle has been stuck at about 1/4" above the "E" on the gas guage. When I got gas the first time 2 months ago the needle disappeared into the dash, then on the next drive it came back and ever since has been stuck in the same spot again. Doesn't move no matter how much gas you get, but strangely stuck in the middle of the guage (well not exactly in the middle)

Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The '67-68 gauge senders are a donut that slides up and down in a cylinder in the tank. Over the years the gas swells the donut and it gets stuck. You'll probably have to pull the tank and inspect\fix the sending unit.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:01 PM

I thought I had a broken sending unit for a year until I hit a big bump and the needle changed permanent position. After searching for months (several years ago,) and not being able to find a replacement, I got sick of running out of gas.

Repairing it turned out to be very easy. I drove with a gallon of gas in the trunk until I ran out of gas then added just enough to get home. This made the massive tank much easier to remove. I dropped the tank and removed the unit then used a small emery board to file the inside of the doughnut until it traveled up and down easily. If I recall properly, there are 'points' that drag the rod, and you just need to file them and the rod to ensure a good electrical connection.

Good luck!