Old 08-16-2020, 05:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 63 Bonneville question

Looking for input....on correct factory installed location....for under hood reel out light...

I realize that most of them were in the trunk.....but this is for a Safari....

I found a pair of dimples on the pass. side inner fender....behind AC compressor....which looks like the logical place.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default under hood lite

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960S-PONTI...sAAOSwJiJbHYj0 Pictures on EBAY might help . That part number on the item is for 1963/1964 wagons in the master parts book

Old 08-17-2020, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When those lights were put in the trunk (at least the three mounting hole kind) there were the three holes as required already punched in the support stamping. I don't know if there are holes existing in the hood support stamping as most of my hood is covered by the insulation. The wiring was already there also. Do you have a spare hot wiring terminal hanging loose somewhere?

Old 08-17-2020, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Looking for input....on correct factory installed location....for under hood reel out light...

I realize that most of them were in the trunk.....but this is for a Safari....

I found a pair of dimples on the pass. side inner fender....behind AC compressor....which looks like the logical place.
I have a '66 Grand Prix and the dimples in the passenger side inner fender were certainly the correct location for my under hood light.

I bought my underhood light years ago from Peter Klabo (Ventures Unlimited) and if anyone would have known the correct location, he certainly would. Sadly he passed some years ago so no point looking him up.

If you look at the wiring diagram on the NOS package currently for sale on eBay, it shows the wiring loom. How these lights are powered is there is a press button switch located high on the firewall just above the distributor. The power supply is drawn from a plug-in connector but I can't remember exactly the location. But not far from the switch.

When you open the hood, the light comes on and STAYS ON. That might have been OK when the cars were new but these days, nothing but a nuisance. Unlike the trunk light, the under hood lights do not have a mercury switch to turn it off and on.

I'm fairly sure these lights work by the base of the light is grounded and the light is receiving constant power when the hood is opened. Unlike an interior light which is receiving constant power and it is activated when the ground switch is closed (opening a door for example).

In my own case, I put the light in the correct place and used some hidden wiring to power it. I put a simple switch up under the fender where it can't be seen.

Good luck with it.

Ian

Old 08-17-2020, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Trunk and underhood were both options.Tom

Old 08-17-2020, 08:39 PM

This is from the 1963 accessories brochure, at http://oldcarbrochures.org/United%20...sories-13.html

It's not much help but assuming the person who drew the illustration was working from an actual car it may show the general location it's mounted under the hood. (EDIT: I think this is a different lamp that's stationary, and isn't the roll-out type.)

Note that the under hood roll-out lamp was slightly different than the trunk lamp - its lens was sort of conical shaped and had one side tinted red, while the trunk lamp lens was circular and clear.

SECOND EDIT: I found this picture of BarrierBlue66's 1963 Safari on page 57 of the "Let's see some photos of your 62-66 big car" thread. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com....php?p=6030910

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1963 underhood lamp.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	547452  

Last edited by Stuart; 08-17-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks.......for everybodys input....

Here is what I have....and the under hood pic....is just sitting on the dimples.....that I am assuming it should be mounted on....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG1978.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	547460   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1979.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	547461   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1981.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	547462  

Old 08-18-2020, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That certainly looks like the correct location for your underhood lamp. And it is the correct lens glass for the underhood light.

They are nice accessory to have.

If you look at the picture Stuart posted of Barrier Blue's engine bay, you can see the cad plated bracket supporting the on-off switch high up above the distributor (or more so it looks like its very slightly over towards the drivers side). Unless you are going for concours finish under your hood, I'd forget all about that switch. You would hate it 10 minutes after you installed it. Just put a secret switch in as I suggested earlier.

I just noticed your car has A/C as well. With the compressor there and the underhood light, it makes reaching the oil dip stick a little more tricky too.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This might make you think it was installers option. Not like Stuart's picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1961-1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	547472  

Old 08-18-2020, 12:06 PM

There may have been different mounting locations, depending on if the car had air conditioning - in that picture the a/c hoses are taking up a lot of the available space. Also, I believe it was available either as a factory installed or dealer installed accessory, so it's possible the dealer mechanic would install it in a different location. If there are dimples in the fender well that match up with the light's footprint, I think chances are that's where the factory intended on putting it.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
That certainly looks like the correct location for your underhood lamp. And it is the correct lens glass for the underhood light.

They are nice accessory to have.

If you look at the picture Stuart posted of Barrier Blue's engine bay, you can see the cad plated bracket supporting the on-off switch high up above the distributor (or more so it looks like its very slightly over towards the drivers side). Unless you are going for concours finish under your hood, I'd forget all about that switch. You would hate it 10 minutes after you installed it. Just put a secret switch in as I suggested earlier.

I just noticed your car has A/C as well. With the compressor there and the underhood light, it makes reaching the oil dip stick a little more tricky too.
I had already decided on a stealth or hidden switch......Don't want it on all the time....

Old 08-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Again....thanks for everybodys input...

Two more questions........Valve cover oil fill/breather indexing...

Mine is....Drivers side in the middle and pass side....at firewall.......Is this correct?

Also......I've seen these on vintage Chryslers and Chevs.........A small window decal indicating that vehicle has air conditioning...

Was one available for Pontiacs?

Old 08-18-2020, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The valve cover installation did vary a little over the years. But I think for a 63 the pass side breather is centered and the drivers side is front. Also I think the bolt hole flange that bends up is the top and the lip that bends down is the exhaust side.

And to Stuart's dimple thought - on my 61 the only dimples I have are, I think, for the tri-power vacuum canister. But about the light location the picture I posted is a 61 and Stuart's is a 63. Although the AC or non A/C thought might be correct.

Last edited by pfilean; 08-18-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the tip...on the different upper and lower valve cover flanges......

Somebody has put these on backwards and upside down.....Lets hope that is ALL the work they did on this car...

I pulled the left rear inner cover...for some D and C.......and noticed these stamped depressions and holes in the metal shell......and thinking there may have been a dome /reading light and power back window switch option.....for a 3rd row seat install?

Dome lamp pictured....is from 61 Star Chief....and the size looks appropriate for the side panel....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG2005.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	547541   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2006.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	547542   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2007.JPG
Views:	100