Old 09-19-2020, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 9.3 rear gasket?

Anyone here know if Pontiac originally used a gasket on the chunk housing? I guessing yes.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They did and our sponsor has them. Part PR524C $6.50 in the full size catalog. But you can get away without one using your choice of appropriate RTV.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m just thinking I need to use one for spacing the center correctly for the axles

Old 09-19-2020, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've removed and installed "chunks" a number of time bot with and without gaskets and having the axles go into them has never been an issue. I've not thought about until your post just now but they must fit up only one way or the horizontal ribs on the forward face are so obviously level when installing them that they just go in such that the axles line up. The only issue installing axles I've found is that when installing them into a posi sometimes you need a man on both sides of the car with crow bars laying across the lugs and you have to twist one side or the other to get the inner and outer splines lined up so the axle can slide all the way in.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJim View Post
I’m just thinking I need to use one for spacing the center correctly for the axles
My Dad showed me this trick about making a gasket many years ago. You lay a sheet of gasket material, or card board (like a cereal box) on the piece you need to make the gasket for and trace the edge with a ball peen hammer which cuts the gasket on the edge of the casting and bolt holes. I've done this many times over the years to make gaskets that are obsolete, or you just needed it right then, and didn't have it on hand, but you needed to get the job done immediately.

I used to work as a road service mechanic on construction equipment and this trick got plenty of units back to work when I just couldn't wait for the proper gasket. Down construction equipment costs a ton of money when laborers are waiting for you to get it back to work, could be thousands of dollars an hour of sitting around.

I linked a You Tube video that shows how to perform it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL91...hannel=DIYChad

I'm not against using RTV instead of a gasket, as there is enough slop in the splines to allow for the minor misalignment without a gasket, but with the process I linked to you can make your own in under 10 minutes, or less from cardboard you'd but in your trash. Cereal boxes have a wax covering, and make good gasket material in a pinch.

Hope this may help you...............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
My Dad showed me this trick about making a gasket many years ago. You lay a sheet of gasket material, or card board (like a cereal box) on the piece you need to make the gasket for and trace the edge with a ball peen hammer which cuts the gasket on the edge of the casting and bolt holes.
My Dad taught me the same thing in the late 50s. I keep a small ball peen hammer (the small ball works great at the bolt holes) in my tool box for this job only. A tip: Start by cutting a bolt hole first. Put a bolt through the gasket and the part with a nut on the other side.. Then do another bolt hole the same way. Now you can finish making the gasket without it moving around while you are tapping the edges with the hammer.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys!