Old 03-20-2016, 02:37 PM

Default my project is under way

not sure if this is the correct section, if not mods please move.

after a couple months i can finally get this build underway.

friday night we dragged it out because the passenger side rear drum was locked.

saturday morning we fixed the locked drum and was able to turn the wheel. added brake fluid and bleed the system

yes that is ****. apparently a possum got inside through what im guessing is the taillight opening and well it did this

no worries, cleaned it up

this was the trunk with the chrome moldings.

these are all the trims i found inside the car. still in good conditions

cleaned up the trunk

i have the center console inside the storage, along with door panels, rear seats, quarter panels, taillights etc...

and my 1st picture with the car out of the garage.

now i have questions. hopefully i get some good answers and suggestions.

what is a good recommendation for chassis sealing? or coating

what can i go with on suspension? this will not be a drag car, or for pro touring but i want nice handling. control arms? shocks? springs?

for the a/c system i will be going with vintage air. unless someone has good something different i dont know about.

brakes, i want disc all around. any specific brands? im not going all out like wilwood or brembo. but just a weekend drive.

a good radiator along with electric fans?

as for the engine im not sure if i want to stick with the 326. i would really like a 400 if i can find one for a good price and get it rebuilt.

i will be switching from carb to efi with fitech. my questioin is if i slap it on the 326 and later find a 400 can it be recalibrated for the 400?

trans, i really want to find a th400.

the rear end i will rebuild it with a posi trac and higher gears just not sure on what yall have used and gears would be good

starter?

alternator?

what about changing out the whole wiring harness? i know they make a whole harness for the car which is around 600. im willing to spend the coin on it.

gauges? i like the original ones but ive seen some pretty cool ones.

wheels and tires? i do like the pro touring look but torque thrust wheels give the muscle look.

i will be going with the original burgundy color, as for interior, not sure if i want to go with black or burgundy also. ill be updating this thread as the restoration continues. comments are welcome and suggestions even more... thanks guys

Last edited by Jay Lightning; 03-20-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a very solid project. I can't answer all your questions but here is what I did on my car. Front disc conversion from a 72 Nova. I had my frame powder coated along with many of the chassis parts. I stayed with the stock A/C set up except I went with an S-6 compressor instead of the A-6. Using the stock starter. I switched to an internally regulated alternator after having problems with 3 aftermarket voltage regulators. I bought all new wiring harnesses from M&H. Wait until you get the motor, tranny and any other mods before you get the wiring. Then call M&H and they will help you with the right harnesses to fit your application.
I am going to put a set of 17" Year One Rally IIs on my car.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:27 PM

May I ask why the 72 nova disc conversion? For the a/c I wouldn't mind more room in the engine bay, I guess for a cleaner look which is why I would think vintage air. Would you happen to have the model # on the alternator? What did you pay for harness if I may ask? Those wheels are sick. Wouldn't mind looking into those.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lightning View Post
May I ask why the 72 nova disc conversion? For the a/c I wouldn't mind more room in the engine bay, I guess for a cleaner look which is why I would think vintage air. Would you happen to have the model # on the alternator? What did you pay for harness if I may ask? Those wheels are sick. Wouldn't mind looking into those.
It was what I found at a local swap meet and the price was right.I can look up the alternator # tomorrow but I am sure someone else here will chime in and tell you to go the one wire alternator route. There are several harnesses for the different areas in the car. There is an engine harness. headlight harness, tail light harness, dash harness, console harness and probably one or two more that I am overlooking. I would say the total was probably in the 6-800$ range. Here's a link to their site.
http://www.wiringharness.com/

Last edited by fyrffytr1; 03-21-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chassis coating I would go epoxy with topcoat, POR-15 or similar, or rustoleum, probably in that order, depending on prep method, motivation, and desired results.

I'd definitely redo the wiring, but don't order it until you've nailed down everything else so you order one with the right circuits for all of the options and non-stock stuff.

IMO some of your plans don't mesh together 100% (why set on TH400...esp when you don't even know what engine you'll have?). Also why fuel injection? My advice: add a third pedal.

Why 4 wheel discs for a weekend driver? 69-72 front discs and stock rears work great...staying with a stock part based setup makes things a lot easier.

I've never seen a set of gauges in a GTO that look better than the originals, and stick with the red int if you go burgandy or black on the exterior. The 65/66 metallic red interiors look outstanding when redone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-21-2016, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stick with the red interior..every other car has black...I would definitely go with an overdrive...stick or auto... good luck

Old 03-31-2016, 01:51 PM

I found a bop th400 from a 69 lesabre for a good price. That will bolt up to the pontiac 400 with no problem correct? (I'm getting my grease hands on a 400 also). I just want to be 100% on everything. I'll be getting the chassis sand blasted and coated here at work. Hell of a price I can't complain about. Bdk1976, you got me thinking on the fuel injection and I decided to keep it carb... for now... and 4 wheel disc brake is honestly a preference since I want the car looking sexy all the way. Plus I know I said a weekend warrior but I will also drive it to work and ****. I don't want to end up with a garage queen. Been there done that. Never again. I will enjoy this car, like an 8 ball and 2 hookers.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:09 PM

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pts/5507653210.html

Here's the Craigslist add if yall could take a look at the pictures.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't tell from the pics in the ad.....is it a long tail or short tail?...pretty sure the GTO came with a short tail which means you would need to shorten your driveshaft...fyi

Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are using the car as a driver then give a 200r consideration. Better for the engine and your pocket. It may cost more but it will be better overall. Turbo 400 are tough but not touring friendly. Nice car best of luck

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 03-31-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
Can't tell from the pics in the ad.....is it a long tail or short tail?...pretty sure the GTO came with a short tail which means you would need to shorten your driveshaft...fyi
It's an original 69 lesabre trans so I'm not sure..

Old 03-31-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate`s67gto View Post
If you are using the car as a driver then give a 200r consideration. Better for the engine and your pocket. It may cost more but it will be better overall. Turbo 400 are tough but not touring friendly. Nice car best of luck
Would the 200r be able to handle some drag racing?

Last edited by Jay Lightning; 03-31-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To take the torque of a Pontiac 400 it would have to be built up to with stand the torque. The turbo 400 would be better for the track and much cheaper..

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 03-31-2016, 10:07 PM

Yes, that something I would prefer. I'll leave the OD for the daily. A 4 speed auto is rather left for this car. I want power. Raw power. I'm thinking ahead of time, but I know what I'm looking for.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:58 AM

Thumbs up sept 1 2016, day 1 of resto progress.

after years of it sitting in the garage, 11 years of owning it, and a damn **** up from a previous "body shop" it is finally in my buddies body shop. we tried to tow it with his quad yesterday but the front passenger side drum was sticking and was dragging the tire. i pretty much ended up having to pull.... no... hammer the drum off along with stuck brake pads. screw it. disc brakes are going on it. so today after work we strapped it and towed it to his shop. lucky me its 2 houses down. cant ask for more. ill be making progress post. with pictures. he will have the body off the chassis and they will do the whole body while i take the chassis and get it sand blasted, coated and painted. after that. its back to my garage for new control arms, steering parts, new suspension, brake upgrade, brake lines. fuel tank, fuel lines, etc... now. can yall suggest suspension? i want full disc. it will cost more to do all 4 rather than just front, but that doesnt bother me. ill be pulling the original a/c and adding a vintage air system on it. this will be my weekend car. i want power of course. im not expecting to take it to the track but i want power. nothing like pulling from one of these new cars. i get it. this is a boat. but thats what makes it sweeter. im open for suggestions guys..

thank you.
George

oh. and it was INJUNTOM (member here) who helped me get the driver side door i needed for it. i cant thank him enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160901_194637.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	435946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160901_194654.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	435947   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160901_194704.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	435948   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160901_194717.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	435949  

Old 09-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool car! Hard to beat Powermaster starters and alternators. T400 trans are also hard to beat for strength, reliability, and cost. Lots of guys like an overdrive trans, but they are a lot more expensive to get them to hold up like a T400 depending on power level. Depends on how much highway driving you plan to do to justify the extra cost there. I personally love cruising on the highway at 3000 rpms which is intolerable to many. You didn't mention what rear you are using, but you might want to upgrade instead of sinking a bunch of money into a 10 bolt, or do what I did which is run it til it breaks and then upgrade. As far as brakes, I have done well with my front disc/rear drum setup(manual). As far as rims, I am a huge fan of rally ones or twos, either of which would look great on your car. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

4L80E has the strength of a T400 and OD. I know that's what is going in my next project for sure. Just doing it once, and doing it right the first time is what I want for myself, your needs may be different.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-02-2016, 12:01 PM

Ocmdgto, I hadon't thought about the 4l80e or the 700r4 even at that. Depending on price I wouldn't mind it. Will it bolt up to the engine with the bellhousing it comes with?.. as for the diff. I've been trying to find a 12 bolt with no luck. Not sure exactly what vehicles came with a 12 bolt. Unless you suggest something different...

Old 09-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4L80E is only made in chevy bellhousing pattern, so a $70 adapter plate is needed for BOP/Cadillac bolt pattern. You'll never break one on a up to 750 HP street/strip car if it's done correctly. With added hard parts that can take it to 1200 HP.

It's virtually a light truck T400, with OD added (75% of the internals interchange between T400 and 4L80E). Used in diesel and BBC applications, and 3/4 and 1 ton with a SBC. I have one in my 93 dually turbo diesel, and it takes everything I throw at it with 255,000 miles on it. Towing, plowing, with no complaints. I've owned it since 2010 and have only changed fluid and filter in it so far.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-03-2016, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as rears go, nothing wrong with a twelve bolt. You might want to check out some of the ready to run 9" or Dana 60 packages offered by Srange, Moser, or Quick Perfomance. Some guys on here use the 8.5" 10 bolts with great success. I would toss the 326 and get at least a 400 if you want to pass anything faster than a Prius.