THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Glad (?) to see the used car buying experience hasn't changed.

Been a few years since I bought a car. I went with my son to look at and drive some used cars and settled on a Certified, Pre-Owned Nissan Maxima at a local Nissan Dealer. Dealer would't budge a dime on the price and offered my son $500 for his 97,000 mi Chevy Cruze. I got up and walked out. In all honesty, that Cruze is a POS with hail damage, front door smacked in and a crease in the rear quarter across the wheel well and into the other door. As we walked away, I told my kid "Book is $4350 in fair condition. Nice job taking care of your investment."

I called the dealer the next day and got him up to $1200 on the trade and told my kid it would take $3,000 to make the Cruze presentable so take deal and be happy they even took your trade. The whole time I'm thinking "You poor Maxima, you have no idea the abuse that's in-store for you." lol

Now the fun begins. My son is at work so I run interference and go to close the deal and get it written up. Bear in mind the ad for the car says "Nissan Certified Pre-owned Vehicle $xx,xxx.xx". Dealer has it typed up with the advertised price of the car and and an addition amount of $995.00 for "Buyer's Assurance" right underneath it. I asked "What is this for?" even though I knew that was just BS and he was trying to make up the trade allowance. The Sales Manager says "That is our cost to obtain the Certified Rating and Warranty from Nissan".

I looked at him and said "Your kidding right? He shakes his head no, so I asked "Do you like magic tricks?" He gave me a puzzled look and I said "Close your eyes and count to 10 and I will make myself disappear." I got up and walked out, again.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 04-21-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reminds me of the movie Fargo, the main character was a car salesman and allways pulling stuff like that.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exactly how I would have played it.

Actually I may have jerked them around a bit longer out of spite.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont you love it when they think theyve got you by the shorthairs.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love Nissans. One of my Best buddies is a Excellent Nissan Tech. I have run them since they were Datsuns..
That said, ANY V-6 Nissan will GULP, Not Drink, fuel when run over 3,000 RPM...
The 4 cyl 2.5 is plenty of power and can get much better fuel economy, less maint. too.
skip the turbo cars if you can.
Dealers EARN their Certification through after sale surveys, among other things.
They will, however , try to sell you extended insurance and other stuff and charge a admin fee.
Good luck!
PS. Any Nissan CVT needs the trans serviced every 60K miles.. thats a fact...
I have walked out of my regular Nissan dealers a few times, once with my wife crying, and my sister yelling at me!
They chased me down too!

Old 04-21-2021, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I love Nissans. One of my Best buddies is a Excellent Nissan Tech. I have run them since they were Datsuns..
That said, ANY V-6 Nissan will GULP, Not Drink, fuel when run over 3,000 RPM...
The 4 cyl 2.5 is plenty of power and can get much better fuel economy, less maint. too.
skip the turbo cars if you can.
Dealers EARN their Certification through after sale surveys, among other things.
They will, however , try to sell you extended insurance and other stuff and charge a admin fee.
Good luck!
PS. Any Nissan CVT needs the trans serviced every 60K miles.. thats a fact...
I have walked out of my regular Nissan dealers a few times, once with my wife crying, and my sister yelling at me!
They chased me down too!
Yeah, my son loved the Maxima (2018). Also drove an Acura TLX (2018) which was excellent but my son thought the interior looked like an old man's car (probably why I liked it!). Maxima was a very muscle car-ish and handled great. Very comfortable car also.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll go one better than that. My daughter inherited some money when her mother died so she decided it was time for her first new car. She did her homework and decided a KIA Soul would be best for her. Found a dealer that she liked, test drove the car, and got a price. Since her credit wasn't the best, we decided for her to pay half down and finance the rest.

Her boyfriend at the time was a Paralegal and he said there was no reason for me to come down, he would make sure the deal was ok. After she took delivery she told me the payment schedule. I didn't think much about it for a couple of days and then it hit me that the numbers didn't work out. The next time she came up to see me I asked her to see the paperwork. Seems they charged her over $1800 for the 10 yr, 100,000 warranty! Plus the finance charge was over 20%. I took her right to my bank and got it done for 4 1/2 %. Her boyfriend REALLY took care of her. (He's now an ex)

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 04-21-2021, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
(He's now an ex)
Just a guess as to who knew he was a ex first...

You.., her.., then him...

Frank

Old 04-22-2021, 12:11 AM
Senior Chief

My recent dealership car buying experience( 3 cars in the past two years, 1 new and two used) is you must walk away three times. They will call you back each time if they have your number tell you to come in and offer the car for less. If you tell them you found another car cheaper than theirs and are willing to be patient after a few days of this you will get them to their real bottom line.

Also working at the end of the month when they want to make an extra sale that month helps too. This worked when both car dealers where the used cars were bought said they price to sell and would only take a small amount off the asking price and don't haggle. The reason I was at the dealer was the advertised price was very competitive.

Cars bought
Used Kia Sorrento bought for my daughter a month ago was listed $21,498 bought for $18,500 off a Toyota dealer lot. Used BMW 335 for my wife 2 years ago, listed for $32,900 bought for $30,200 after having them repair some window tint, change the oil and detail the car again (Honda dealer lot).
New 2019 GMC Elevation bought Oct 2019 MSRP $63,500 bought for $48,300 at a local GM dealer.

I'm in Alberta Canada to explain why the prices may seem high to all you US buyers

Last edited by nas t eh; 04-22-2021 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
I'll go one better than that. My daughter inherited some money when her mother died so she decided it was time for her first new car. She did her homework and decided a KIA Soul would be best for her. Found a dealer that she liked, test drove the car, and got a price. Since her credit wasn't the best, we decided for her to pay half down and finance the rest.

Her boyfriend at the time was a Paralegal and he said there was no reason for me to come down, he would make sure the deal was ok. After she took delivery she told me the payment schedule. I didn't think much about it for a couple of days and then it hit me that the numbers didn't work out. The next time she came up to see me I asked her to see the paperwork. Seems they charged her over $1800 for the 10 yr, 100,000 warranty! Plus the finance charge was over 20%. I took her right to my bank and got it done for 4 1/2 %. Her boyfriend REALLY took care of her. (He's now an ex)
The Certified pre-owned Maxima came with a 7 yr, 100K mile powertrain warranty. I told my son to make sure he got a bumper to bumper ll coverage as things can get pretty pricey to repair. The dealer wanted $2450 in addition to the $995 he was tacking on for the already Certified pre-owned coverage!

I bought a new Honda Accord a ways back. We agreed on the price and I told the dealer to write it up just as it stood and gave him a deposit. At that time. the dealers would give you a hard sell for overpriced dress-up crap. When I came back for the car, the dealer (Schaumburg Honda) had rustproofed it, put on door and wheel arch moldings, pinstripes. paint sealant and upholstery stain guard without my permission ... and wanted to charge me for it all. The Sales Manager said "We do that to all our cars, it makes them special." I said "Fine, you can keep your special car and give me back my deposit." Then he tried the old "I'll give you the extras at cost song and dance." I told him "I'll be waiting for my refund at the cashier." They let it go at no charge.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wife ordered a BMW X1 a month ago, I wrote down a price for the car, and a price for the trades and told her to just hand it to the saleman and say "If you can do this we will order the car right now".

I had discussed it with the salesman in emails, took a few tries to get a price. I said I'm not telling you what the trade is, I'm not telling you how we are paying for it, I just want a price on the car. Got transferred to a different salesman, told him the same thing, he came up with a price that was close to what I wanted so I told him we'd be down to look at one.

I subtracted another $1000 from the price he gave me in the email and that's what I wrote on the paper. We were out of there in 30 minutes, got what we wanted for the trade, which was less than book, had some minor damage. They will do fine on our trade.

Did the same with the local Audi dealer, the salesperson got back to me with a quote of MSRP ... so I never got back to him.

I'm a big fan of never mentioning a trade, and never mentioning financing until you have a price for the vehicle. A vehicle has a price, the price doesn't change based on how you pay for it, give me that price, the price doesn't change based on what I'm trading either so just tell me how much the car costs. Then we'll work out the rest.

Good used vehicles are in HUGE demand right now, I knew we'd have some leverage with our trade. Dealer did fine on the deal, and we got what we wanted too. It's waiting at the port right now for a boat to the east coast.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 02:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had an experience like that buying a used VW years back. They said I had to pay them $300 for the security system they already installed. I told ‘em “take it out - I’m not paying for it.” I sure didn’t pay for it. As I drove home, I noticed it was still there under the dash.

My first car was a Nissan. I’ve hated those crap boxes ever since.

As for negotiating - don’t ever go down from how much they will “give” you under MSRP. Find the invoice and argue about how much more you’ll give them over that.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am looking for a new to me truck right now. There is a used car dealer a mile down the road from, keep in mind this is in the middle of nowhere in the country. Drove by the other day and he had 2 sitting in the front line exactly what I want. I have cash in hand and ready to pull the trigger. No trade involved. Stopped in asked what he wanted for the truck and he says 'wholesale only, I dont sell to the public'. I was quite disappointed but figured what the heck. He said he buys at auction and sells to dealers only. Im still trying to figure that one out. But I figured he could have got more from me than a dealer!

Many years ago I walked away from a Chrysler dealer with papers on the desk trying to buy a Durango. Best car I never bought.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
a Durango. Best car I never bought.
A 2005 variety of the Durango was the worst Chrysler product I have ever owned. It was trouble from day 1.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a Durango for a company car. Company owner was a trucker and he liked Dodge. He had several Vipers and a Little Red Wagon he drove. He asked If I wouldn't mind a Durango as he had a real clean one from a prior sales rep. I told him as long as you put gas in it and fix it. I'll drive whatever you want.

The car was a horror show. I had multiple breakdowns on the side of the road with clients in the car. One client showed me the back of my business card he kept on file on which he wrote "Do not ride in the Durango." It had so many issues I just gave it back and told my boss I would rather drive my own car and submit my mileage and expenses for reimbursement.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Had an experience like that buying a used VW years back. They said I had to pay them $300 for the security system they already installed. I told ‘em “take it out - I’m not paying for it.” I sure didn’t pay for it. As I drove home, I noticed it was still there under the dash.

My first car was a Nissan. I’ve hated those crap boxes ever since.

As for negotiating - don’t ever go down from how much they will “give” you under MSRP. Find the invoice and argue about how much more you’ll give them over that.
Go drive a Maxima some time ... definitely not in the "crap box" league and my advice is don't try and race one unless your car can 0-60 under 6 seconds.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Years of working at car dealers, and dealing with them. The worst deals I was ever offered were from my employers. At one Pontiac dealer I was working at I was looking to buy a used GTO. The one 65 he gave me a price on was a complete stripped down car, it maybe had power steering and brakes, and other than that zero options, not what I was looking for.

The olds dealer had another 65 with about every option that you could think of, and I bought that one. I was unemployed within a week, laid off because I had bought the car from another dealer, but it was never verbalized, but I knew that was why.

The Buick dealership I worked at was the worst, you could ask the used car manager for a price on a car, it would be twice what is should be. Someone walked in off the street would work a deal for the same car for much less than an employee could. The employees usually never bought a car from the dealership where we worked, even if the car went to auction, we couldn't buy it for a reasonable price.

I used to work for a Datsun/Jeep dealership, the owner would really treat you right on used cars. He had a used car manager that was the epitome of a used car salesman, we used to call him "Slick Dick", his given name was Richard. He was one of the smoothest talking people that ever walked into a used car lot. He could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo. Early on I called him out on a car that was in need of repairs after taking it for a test drive, I ran every thing off that it needed. I believe he had already ran it through the used car department and had a list of what it needed, and I reaffirmed the list after just driving it, and giving it a good onceover in the used car lot. I think I earned his respect in being able to appraise what a car needed in a very short period of time, and from then on out I could walk into wherever he was working at, ask for the bottom dollar deal, and I got it. If it was within reason I very frequently bought the car, if it was TFH, I just said no.

I once looked at a 67 GTO on his lot, it had a fairly bad rod knock, but looked good as far as aesthetics. I told him it needed an engine, and he insisted it didn't, even though it was obvious. I couldn't come to terms on that car. The next time I went there he told me he sold it to a guy, and the guy told him the only thing that was wrong with it was the tailpipe hanger of the right side needed replaced, we both laughed about that one.........

Walking away, and never letting on that you really want that car is what works for me. I've had many callbacks in a day, or two, from used car salespeople I walked away from the day before. I always give them my phone number, and tell them to call me if they will come to my terms. I actually got $6000 off the only car I ever bought new. When I bought my 2005 GTO, I worked the deal by walking away, but it took about 4 weeks for him to call me back that time.

Having worked at more than a few dealerships I've seen about every ploy used in selling cars to the public.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-22-2021, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Walking away, and never letting on that you really want that car
I've found that to be true of any negotiation...The person who can walk away and truly not give a crap whether the deal goes through or not has the advantage.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I am looking for a new to me truck right now. There is a used car dealer a mile down the road from, keep in mind this is in the middle of nowhere in the country. Drove by the other day and he had 2 sitting in the front line exactly what I want. I have cash in hand and ready to pull the trigger. No trade involved. Stopped in asked what he wanted for the truck and he says 'wholesale only, I dont sell to the public'. I was quite disappointed but figured what the heck. He said he buys at auction and sells to dealers only. Im still trying to figure that one out. But I figured he could have got more from me than a dealer!

Many years ago I walked away from a Chrysler dealer with papers on the desk trying to buy a Durango. Best car I never bought.

He probably has a wholesale only license which prevents him from selling to the public.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 04-22-2021, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Years of working at car dealers, and dealing with them. The worst deals I was ever offered were from my employers. At one Pontiac dealer I was working at I was looking to buy a used GTO. The one 65 he gave me a price on was a complete stripped down car, it maybe had power steering and brakes, and other than that zero options, not what I was looking for.

The olds dealer had another 65 with about every option that you could think of, and I bought that one. I was unemployed within a week, laid off because I had bought the car from another dealer, but it was never verbalized, but I knew that was why.

The Buick dealership I worked at was the worst, you could ask the used car manager for a price on a car, it would be twice what is should be. Someone walked in off the street would work a deal for the same car for much less than an employee could. The employees usually never bought a car from the dealership where we worked, even if the car went to auction, we couldn't buy it for a reasonable price.

I used to work for a Datsun/Jeep dealership, the owner would really treat you right on used cars. He had a used car manager that was the epitome of a used car salesman, we used to call him "Slick Dick", his given name was Richard. He was one of the smoothest talking people that ever walked into a used car lot. He could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo. Early on I called him out on a car that was in need of repairs after taking it for a test drive, I ran every thing off that it needed. I believe he had already ran it through the used car department and had a list of what it needed, and I reaffirmed the list after just driving it, and giving it a good onceover in the used car lot. I think I earned his respect in being able to appraise what a car needed in a very short period of time, and from then on out I could walk into wherever he was working at, ask for the bottom dollar deal, and I got it. If it was within reason I very frequently bought the car, if it was TFH, I just said no.

I once looked at a 67 GTO on his lot, it had a fairly bad rod knock, but looked good as far as aesthetics. I told him it needed an engine, and he insisted it didn't, even though it was obvious. I couldn't come to terms on that car. The next time I went there he told me he sold it to a guy, and the guy told him the only thing that was wrong with it was the tailpipe hanger of the right side needed replaced, we both laughed about that one.........

Walking away, and never letting on that you really want that car is what works for me. I've had many callbacks in a day, or two, from used car salespeople I walked away from the day before. I always give them my phone number, and tell them to call me if they will come to my terms. I actually got $6000 off the only car I ever bought new. When I bought my 2005 GTO, I worked the deal by walking away, but it took about 4 weeks for him to call me back that time.

Having worked at more than a few dealerships I've seen about every ploy used in selling cars to the public.
The dealership I worked for had a price 'schedule' for used cars for their employees. If the car was a recent acquisition you paid 'x' amount over the actual cost. If it was over 2 weeks old, you paid less over the actual cost, and so on. If it was there over 90 days you could get it for cost. New cars was GM Employee price if you had been there over 6 months. I think I bought 5 new vehicles in the 4 years I worked there.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry H. For This Useful Post: