THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry Useless warranty

A 12 month warranty on something that is used just a small part of a year is a joke. I bought a LG 22,000btu air conditioner at the end of May 2020 for almost $700.00. I used it off and on for 3 months last year and less than 2 months this year. I live in New England and don't need AC that much. Of course now that the warranty is up it quits working. I call LG looking for help and get some woman I assume must be working from home. How can I tell you ask? Because she hardly speaks English, has a dog barking, chickens clucking and a rooster crowing in the back ground. She reads from her script and tells me I'm s--- out of luck. I call Walmart where I bought it and actually get someone who tries to help by calling LG. He eventually transfers me to LG customer service. Guess who that is! It's Rooster Woman. I guess I am s--- out of luck. Companies should be made to provide a meaningful warranty.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whenever I need assistance or tech support from a live person, it's that woman in India. She keeps changing her name though. One day it's Claudia, another time it's Mary or Janice.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been hot here the last few days. Us Yankees aren't built for this heat lol

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-13-2021, 07:16 AM

Even if you had an extended warranty it wouldn't get fixed in a timely manner.

LG is terrible for service and repair, I bought a LG refrigerator ($1500) with a 5 year extended warranty 2 years ago.

This was for a rental house I have 70 miles from home.

On the 4th of July it quit cooling. first 2 service calls, 2 weeks apart requiring me to wait from 8am-5pm were no shows, finally the 3rd service appt. ( another 8am-5pm window day) the tech showed up.

10 minutes and as I expected, " need parts, will have to order them" will need another service appt. ( 8am-5pm)

So it will be September before this LG refrigerator may be working.

LG has only one company, A&E Service do there repair work and if you check their reviews you will be hard pressed to find a good one.

Had to buy another fridge in the meantime, hopefully the broken one will get repaired and I can sell it and recoup a little money.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lacks Guarrantee

Old 08-13-2021, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
A 12 month warranty on something that is used just a small part of a year is a joke.

Not trying to be an ass, but how long should the warranty be?

Just because in the northeast, you only use it a "small part of the year", doesn't mean that someone in Yuma, AZ wouldn't use it 12 months of the year.

Would you pay more for a longer warranty?

Walmart offers extended protection plans:

https://www.walmart.com/protection

Old 08-13-2021, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have a nickname for A an E . which is sears/whirlpool. Arseholes and entertainer's LOL GE has warrantied stuff 2yrs out of warranty no charge for lots of people i know.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To me warranties arent worth the waste of paper. I have never bought an extended one. I had a samsung refrig. go out on me, and big surprise it was 2 months after the 1 yr warranty expired. Todays appliances are not your grandmothers! I just replaced my 5 yr old ($1200 new) dishwasher. The tech that came out was worthless and knew little more than myself concerning the repair. He did say that any new appliance bought today has a 5-6 life span. I truly believe that. Most recently our washing machine crapped out. I looked into it myself and for a $60 switch it is working like new again.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I watch allot of YouTube repair videos and try to repair all my appliances myself to a point. Certain items, like over the range microwaves, you just have to bite the bullet and realize they last 3-4 years period. Plan on just replacing. I have had pretty good luck with a 3rd party extended warranty company called "Square Trade". On some items their extended warranty is reasonable. Had a large flat screen with their extended warranty. Of course like clockwork, the TV died out of nowhere 11 days after the 1 year factory warranty expired. The guy came out with a large plastic bag of circuit boards and replaced everything in the TV except the screen and the power cord! I asked him, don't you troubleshoot any of the boards? He said, "they are all junk and every board will have a failure in the next year so we just replace them all, 6 boards. He said the 6 boards cost $30.00 total to them and they replace hundreds every week. Such is the current service procedure on modern appliances. The 3 year extended warranty cost $50.00 for that TV. Your little LG AC likely had a very small refrigerant leak at a solder joint, just enough to leak out in a year. Unfortunate.

Last edited by mgarblik; 08-13-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I stay away from LG and company’s like Samsung. They make crappy I phone knock offs, I don’t want anything else they make.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We bought our first portable a/c unit from Costco, and like OP we don't use it that much. 3 years later it stops working, call costco and no problem, just bring it back.
Full moneys refunded and went bacon and bought another one that was cheaper. Costco is good that way.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Low Grade.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
We bought our first portable a/c unit from Costco, and like OP we don't use it that much. 3 years later it stops working, call costco and no problem, just bring it back.
Full moneys refunded and went bacon and bought another one that was cheaper. Costco is good that way.
Yes, they have been that way here, no box, 2 years later. I was embarrassed to try, and they didn't bat an eye.

Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
I stay away from LG and company’s like Samsung. They make crappy I phone knock offs, I don’t want anything else they make.
Funny...

Is the iPhone as good as you think it is? And neither LG or Samsung make iPhone knockoffs.

When you look at the ratings, it seems that Apple plays second fiddle to Samsung. 87% of the market is Android, IOS only represents 13% of the world market.

Now in the US and Japan, the numbers favor IOS slightly, but that's an outlier for the rest of the world. Too many folks in the US are convinced that Android is too complicated to use. I think that says more about the users than the quality of the product, though.

Best cell phones - look for Samsung - 5 of the top 10 are Samsung - #1, 3, 6, 8 and 10. Only 3 are Apple - #2, 4 and 7.

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-phone

I spent 15 years in the wireless industry and remember when the iPhone first game out. It was only available from Cellular One (now known as AT&T and was the worst true cellular network available. The iPhone couldn't do email, but most of the other smart phones could.

Basically you couldn't make a call on an iPhone unless you were in a major metropolitan area or on a major highway, you couldn't send or receive an email. But you could easily load music on it and play games. The Apple huggers went wild for it, even though it was outrageously priced....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Ultimate Warrior

I've had great luck with appliances, I almost always buy something that at least has a US corporate headquarters although seldom made in the US. Often Mexico or the like.

The key is ... I buy the most simple model that fits my needs. As few bells and whistles as possible. Besides having half as many systems to break, repair is always easier on the simple models. Also, if they are unrepairable in the long run ... way less painful because they didn't cost a lot to begin with. The simple models usually have tried and true technology that is 40 years old, commonly available and less expensive parts and easier to take apart or figure out.

This simple models are the ones that are marketed to the rest of the world, India, Africa, Mexico etc. they have to be simple, cheap and reliable or they will lose market share instantly. A bit less efficient .. yes, might not do the job quite as well ... yes, look "luxury" and futuristic ... no.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a Costco TV (Sony) crap out on me after about 20 months. They don't do returns of electronics past 90 days anymore, but do have an "Electronics concierge" that you can call. They are going to send a repair guy out.

As for "buy the cheapest, simplest," I always have bad luck when I buy the cheapest stuff. It tends to be obsolete with no replacement parts manufactured when it craps out 4-5 years down the road.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Do you mean Android phones?? If so, completely different thing...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 08-13-2021, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

.I will never buy a LG product again.

My LG LED TV went out about a month after the warranty expired. I did a little research on the web and found it was a common problem. LG got a bright screen by overdriving the LEDs, which burnt them out quickly. I tossed it and bought a Sony. I have never had anything but the best of luck with Sony products.

My son bought a high end LG refrigerator that went out under warranty. Again, apparently this is a common problem, but the replacement parts won't be here for at least three months. The problem was solved by buying a used refrigerator and waiting on LG to fix their product, but a three month wait is terrible. What really sucks is LG states in their literature a refrigerator should last 20 years.

My neighbor bought a LG washer that lasted a couple of months past the warranty expiration.

LG is on my do not buy list. While some people may have experienced good things with LG, my experience has been less than great.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I figure that most warranties are useless in the first place. Buy more of it? YEAH, SURE! Where do I sign?

Old 08-13-2021, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't buy extended warranties on anything. I'm pretty sure that the money I saved on avoiding them will pay for an occasional item that has to be sent to an early grave.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”