Old 10-07-2021, 06:02 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Making this thread sticky merely means it will stay at the top of the page where it's easy to find - it won't get scrolled down as new threads are added. It doesn't change anything about the file size limits.

Try uploading the files one page at a time, and/or reducing their size on your computer before uploading. Another possibility is putting them on a hosting site somewhere and then just posting the link here. You could also try posting the files in your personal album here on the board (click on User CP at the upper left of your screen, then under the Control Panel header scroll down to Networking > Pictures and Albums.)
MIKES ANSWER TO THIS : If I try this procedure you offered me " You could also try posting the files in your personal album here on the board (click on User CP at the upper left of your screen, then under the Control Panel header scroll down to Networking > Pictures and Albums.) Why would I be able to download more than the 300 mb x 5 to this area? please explain how that works and what are the maximum info that I can send in one post there? When you say try, I need to know what I am doing for sure please. Going on the Cloud costs money that I don't have. On my computer If I can figure out how to turn a file into a link, will that link be restricted to 300 mb? I am not sure how Google drive works yet but it came up on my computer now that I have a Smart cell phone. Is Google Drive using Cloud and is it all free? It seems that once I can get the saved data to Google drive than I can make the files into links and then when people open the link or access the link, they will be directed to the cloud to view the information? Is that how it works? I am in new area but I have seen some of my information that I accessed on the Smart phone appear on my desk top and that kind of surprised me. So, I figure Google Drive is the reason. It seems that my Smart cell phone uses Google App built into the program. I just started using the Smart Cell Phone a few months ago and am still learning about the various stuff it can do. There are one 52- and 53-page documents plus another group of unknown smaller size files. Then I need to a deeper search of all the saved files to find the ones I missed. I started off grouping the HO information along with cool Pontiac stuff to one place so that I don't have to look around for it. "HO" data Photos were missing when I opened the saved file and now, I want to fix the Rocket Box files by inserting the pictures back into the file. But it turns out I downloaded allot more over time. I got hit with Ransom ware once and that incident cost me years of information. Good thing I backed up some but not all my files on CD's and Thumb drive .Mike out.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 10-07-2021 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:34 AM

The board software is set up to allow larger files to be uploaded to a personal album than to a regular post. I don't know why, that's above my pay grade - it's just the way it is. Uploading pictures to the personal album or to individual posts isn't going to cause any harm to your hard drive.

I took the liberty of quoting your post and dividing it up into a few paragraphs...this is meant as friendly advice, but I think people are reluctant to respond to your posts because frankly they're difficult to read. If you put in a few spaces now and then, you may get more responses to your questions.

One other thought: assuming the 52 and 53 page documents you're talking about are copies of the old H-O Specialties manuals, they may be copyrighted material. Even though they are out of print, I'm not sure about the legalities involved in reposting them. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge about such things can comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
f I try this procedure you offered me " You could also try posting the files in your personal album here on the board (click on User CP at the upper left of your screen, then under the Control Panel header scroll down to Networking > Pictures and Albums.)

Why would I be able to download more than the 300 mb x 5 to this area? please explain how that works and what are the maximum info that I can send in one post there? When you say try, I need to know what I am doing for sure please.

Going on the Cloud costs money that I don't have. On my computer If I can figure out how to turn a file into a link, will that link be restricted to 300 mb? I am not sure how Google drive works yet but it came up on my computer now that I have a Smart cell phone. Is Google Drive using Cloud and is it all free?

It seems that once I can get the saved data to Google drive than I can make the files into links and then when people open the link or access the link, they will be directed to the cloud to view the information? Is that how it works?

I am in new area but I have seen some of my information that I accessed on the Smart phone appear on my desk top and that kind of surprised me. So, I figure Google Drive is the reason. It seems that my Smart cell phone uses Google App built into the program. I just started using the Smart Cell Phone a few months ago and am still learning about the various stuff it can do.

There are one 52- and 53-page documents plus another group of unknown smaller size files. Then I need to a deeper search of all the saved files to find the ones I missed. I started off grouping the HO information along with cool Pontiac stuff to one place so that I don't have to look around for it. "HO" data Photos were missing when I opened the saved file and now, I want to fix the Rocket Box files by inserting the pictures back into the file.

But it turns out I downloaded allot more over time. I got hit with Ransom ware once and that incident cost me years of information. Good thing I backed up some but not all my files on CD's and Thumb drive.

Last edited by Stuart; 10-07-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:14 AM
Suspended

I will try to upload the "HO" info. here. Ok this is what I found out: My 4-page "Tunnel Ram HO" Pdf file is 10.86 MB and that is a smaller one that I wish to insert on this forum.
Forum limit is 300 KB in one place. User PC and Album & picture is 1000 KB. The 10.86 MB are large pictures to begin with and that is how they came to me. If I can reduce their size that would help.
This particular file came in huge and 4 pages at a time. I don't know how to separate the group into one page at a time.
The only thing I can do is put this file into Auto Cad, a program on my computer. I just remembered I took a Drafting Class years ago and we can do just about anything in Auto Cad. I will have to break out the book.
Been years since I opened Auto Cad and used it anyway.Using Auto cad we used to assemble and disassemble files and insert one file into another etc... Unless you have another Idea, I am out.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:03 AM
Pontiac Performance Author

No copyright problems on my end.
As long as the info is posted "no charge" as a service to the Pontiac enthusiast.
If money start changing hands, I (copyright holder ) am going to want a cut.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:26 PM

Handling tech article from June 1976 Car Craft

2nd gen F bodies featuring Kern Osterstock's
Car.

Suspension/tire wheel combo/part numbers and other info from H-O Racing Specialties research
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211201_022449547~2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	581847   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220114_002147101~3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	581849   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220114_002447332~2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	581851  

Last edited by 455dan; 01-13-2022 at 11:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 455dan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The HO Racing photos bring back memories from my late teens and early twenties, when I was first getting into building Pontiac engines.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Suspended

Thank you for adding to this site for "HO ' to be remembered. I have a ton of information to add to this site, however the files are too big. Once I get the time to break out my Auto-Cad book I am sure there is a way to Explode the file into lesser parts. Only then can I Insert them into the PY forum.

I just read what the suspension upgrade to the Pontiacs are, and I was lucky that when i bought my second hand 1979 Pontiac TA it came with Hurb Adams suspension. He did all the thinking. Who else would you want behind the Pontiac suspension Mechanics? He used Koni Shocks, pivot points on the Anti-Sway Bars, Shorter stiffer Springs all the way around. The Anti-Sway Bars are larger in Diameter front and rear. Installed is a custom Roll Bar in the Cab, Trunk and around the Engine. The Vehicle is lowered via Billstein 2" drop Spindles plus Hurb Adams rear Leaf Spring kit. I use the tallest and widest Cooper 15" Radials so I can rotate them for Street use.

I am pleased with the handling on our high ways and back streets. At top speed 130 mph the car is starting to lift in the front but it holds to the ground and that's what counts. Unfortunately, for me the Vehicle this low to the ground has its negative points. About six months ago I was visiting a friend and unknown to me because he had just moved to a new location, I ran over a Root from a Tree under the Asphalt driveway. I learned that the Torque Converter was damaged and finally replaced it with a Hughes HD one.

Brings me to this point, I now have Reverse gear but no forward gears. Been through the Valve body by cleaning it in Solvent and looked at the Front and Rear Servo/Accumulators. Cleaned the Screen to the Filter before the Governor. Flushed out the Trans. and added Fix all products. For the past six months I have been reading about Transmissions and Torque Converters. Inspected the Governor and replaced the old Black can Modulator with a new type. I had made little changes while I was in the Trans. during the diagnostic stage and went in and undid each one. I hooked up the pressure gauge and the pressures are raising as I continue to fight this project. Today I pulled the Trans. filter out and sealed the Neck at the Filter on this 1967 TH 400 that uses the original type. It moved some and could be sucking air. I used Epoxy on this Brand-new aftermarket part.

I am about to run the Vehicle tonight to see if the Trans. moves in the forward gears. I have tried everything to stay out of the Trans. for now. Before the Accident, I was having this Issue: The Trans. was going from third to second and back to third only one time in the last week prior to the Accident. The second week, in the last month, prior to the Accident, Trans. did that same event twice, third week the event happened three times and the fourth week, same event, happened four times. I would think that cleaning the Valve Body should have solved that Issue?

Here are my Trans. pressure results during testing in the driveway and Vacuum Modulator hooked up to Vacuum.
Park-Neutral = 120 psi
Drive 1,2,3 = 110 psi
Super 1,2 = 90 psi
Low 1 = 90 psi
Reverse = 125 psi
Neutral Brake Applied, Engine 1000 RPM, Pull out the Detent Shift Solenoid Switch Button near the Carb. = 80 psi

Note: All Tests done with Rear Wheels off the ground.
The Wheels turned while they were not on the ground, no load. When I Road Tested the Vehicle, I was able to roll down the drive way and slowly go around the block and went over a speed bump and lost the momentum I had and could go no further. I backed up and came home in reverse were the temp. came up to 240 degrees F. Got hot why?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	581883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	581884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	581885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018 (2).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	581887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	581890  

Old 01-14-2022, 06:43 PM

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear of the T400 issues. You need a PY trans guru.

I have wondered if there is thread about all of the H-O Racing cars, but have not seen it.

The HD Parts and Specs book mentions many of the Pontiacs owned by Craig Hendrickson Kern Osterstock and possibly Ken Crocie

I know Craig's 74 SD-455 TA is still kicking

I have the SD powered 73 TA of Kerns in the linked article.
Interestingly when I called Kern in 1979
Kern mentioned to me that Dick Guldstrand of Corvette fame changed the A arms in some way as well as Kern having the cut Guldstrand hi rate front springs and adding Koni shocks

Anyway
Guessing
There must be another 20 or so Pontiacs that may still exist that were personally owned/Driven by H ,O, KC
Several other Birds a Judge or 2 Bonnie GP 2 plus 2 tempests GTOs

I need to do some work on Kerns car for sure to get it back to a nice driver status.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220114_212254580.NIGHT~2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	581911  

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
The Following User Says Thank You to 455dan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 10:15 PM
Suspended

Let's see a photo of the car you're talking about and write the history for all to see. This page will become the HO go to page; we need your input. Mike.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:07 PM
Suspended

I have seen kits on line that allow more travel for the race shocks where they cut the Shock Tower and install the upper or lower "A"- Frames. About cutting Springs, I once over sprung my 3/4 Dodge Van by installing the suspension from a HD Dually Ambulance and had to lower the front Coil Springs. I met a Mechanic that new the fix, he simply heated the front Spring on the base and when the Spring dropped, he quenched the coil with water and that stopped it from dropping any more. You lose the temper in that Coil, but it is not used anymore. I was now able to Align the Front End now. Saves you from having to remove or cut the Front Spring.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Let's see a photo of the car you're talking about and write the history for all to see. This page will become the HO go to page; we need your input. Mike.
It is now in my signature. I repainted the T/A myself back in around 1985 and back then the Original hood bird decals were pricey- if you could find them so it got a later red bird instead of the factory black center style one.

I wrote a bunch of what I can remember down and the hard drive crashed on my lap top so i lost what I did have written,

will try and start over.

First let me say how sorry i was to hear Kern Osterstock had passed away.
I just lost my mom a month ago and know how bad it hurts, my heart goes out to Kern's family. although very belatedly. The same condolences for Graig's family I only found this site in 2020 and Both had passed by then.

OK the story of how I ended up with Kern's Red 73 SD powered 455 T/A

When I was about to graduate High school, I was already a Pontiac lover had owned a 67 4 speed GTO a 68 455 powered 4 speed 400 Firebird. and I absolutely loved them but wanted a Trans Am, not just a Trans Am a Super duty Trans Am.
My dad asked me one day If there was any car in the world I could own "within reason" what would it be?
Without hesitation I told him a 73 SD-455 Trans Am 4 speed in Red. He said well start looking and if you can find one and it isn't out of reach price wise AND you are willing to give up either your GTO or your 69 400 custom S to pay for part of it i will consider funding the other portion For your graduation.
I scanned car mags the local nickels worth auto trader anything I could find.
for a month plus, nothing...
then one day while looking through the local Nickels Worth Classic antique section I saw it.

RARE 1973 Firebird Trans Am 455 Super Duty 4 speed
Very Fast, Serious Inquiries Only.

I of course immediately showed the ad to my dad and the next day being a school day he said I will make an appointment, check it out and if all goes well we will see.
I get home from school and ask dad what he thought f the T/A and he said "It about took my breath away"
I knew that was Very high praise from my dad because he he had been a sheriff depute, Ambulance driver had taken defensive driving courses and had owned and modded his 392 hemi powered pick up and some warmed over Olds rockets over the years
The owner of the T/A who had bought it from Kern Osterstock "we will call him "Dave O" had bought the car from Kern had it placed in a covered transport and delivered to Idaho. Dave asked me if I knew about Pontiacs and H-O Racing, I had not living in the sticks.
All the Pontiac Hop Up stuff I had read about was Nunzi on the east coast. Dave explained that H-O was a racing and parts for Pontiac Company that did not build cars or engines for customers. They researched, designed, and manufactured performance parts for Pontiac enthusiasts... and this was O's car
He showed me some of the many subtle things that Kern - H-O did that made this particular T/A different, like the rear of the car all of the body seams were missing and around the rear window rear valance and rear spoiler were all formed in . The rear chrome bumper had all of the carriage bolts removed the
The front bumper was Fiberglass to reduce weight and the battery was in the Trunk. On the interior was a drivers racing belt. The Hurst shifter had been re worked by Kern to have a Much reduced throw between 1-2 and 3-4 It had a Button mounted in the T handle for a Line Lock.
1st one of those I had seen. The stock Tach was gone and an Autometer Rev Limiter tach was behind the stock gauge face.
The tach redline " set" Pointer was set to 7000 RPM, the control unit was mounted in the glove box. there were racing harness eyelets on the rear package shelf.

Dave explained the transmission is a Rock Crusher M-22 and it whines because the gears are straight cut to take more power, so don't be alarmed when you here it, that's normal.

The engine It is a Super duty that has been completely balanced first statically then dynamically centered around 5000 RPM. The engine was fully blueprinted. has an experimental Isky solid roller cam with high lift and a tight LSA. The exhaust manifolds have been Aluminized so they won't rust. The exhaust is slightly oversized and has cut outs Lake pipes so you can uncap the exhaust.
The heads are Ported "Heavily ported". The piston tops and chambers are thermal barrier coated. The intake is an Aluminum H-O Intake that has been ported to match the SD heads, because SD intakes are Iron and have an EGR so Kern went with the HO intake. The ignition is switched to a HEI that has been recurved and a standard size drive gear and bushing have been installed
That way if you want to change cams in the future it will be easier than buying an SD specific cam.
The suspension mods are listed in the Flat & Fast article. with what Kern did to achieve the handling.
Dave was willing to take my 69 2 door hardtop 400 Custom S in trade for the T/A and a significant amount of cash to seal the deal from my dad.
Part of the reason Dave was selling the T/A was he was storing the car in his brothers Aluminum foundry building and the Chrome was beginning to pit from gasses given off in the process.
Anyway thru thick and thin I have held on to the Bird.
Early on I drove it down to Phoenix Arizona and had it there while attending college from 1980-1982 It was always fun beating someone and then them commenting on my Idaho plates, I got beat by the car with "Famous Potato's" plates.
I raced a lot of cars on the street around Phoenix and the T/A always did very Very well. The T/A managed 17MPG on the 1400 mile trips between home and school.
Lots of other history with me and the TA but it needs a bit of work now the rear spoiler trapped water and caused a lot of rust which needs repaired the engine still has the Isky solid roller in it and i need new lifters or the pins bearings rebuilt. These are the ancient slider alignment solid rollers that Isky hasn't made in decades.
The foam backed headliner fell in i tried to repair it and ruined the tetra surface so i took the cardboard headliner out and it ended up getting damaged so I need a new headliner. Paint is about trashed after 35 years since I repainted it. the auburn cone posi wore out and i lost the right rear axle bearing that was in the car which was a 68 GTO rear axle that Kern set up for the T/A I replaced it with a 3.23 posi out of a 78 T/A i would like to rebuild it since it was a 3.55 and I always liked how the auburn cone unit posi's worked
The Interior is worn out and it also needs new carpet. The Interior was not a 73 interior Kern had a 72 Custom perforated interior from a 72 Bird in the car. I like it better as well so will try and return those things to the way they were when i got the car.

Will post pics as the car sits now and more info .

I would like to thank Kern, H-O for making a dream come true and my dad,

I never could have afforded my dream car without your help when it really mattered, Thanks dad
. I will do my best to put the car back to the shape it was in when I became the new owner.
Pics of car now to follow

Phoenix Firebird club Pontiac show circa 1982 buddie
Joe's car in front Mine left distant

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220115_161407808.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	581976   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220115_184846020.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	581977   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211231_225555659.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	581978   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211231_225941672.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	581979   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211209_230810434.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	581980  

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post

Last edited by 455dan; 01-15-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:09 PM

More photos as it is now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20211231_225915019.LS_exported_0.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	581981   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211231_230222169.LS_exported_0.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	581982   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211231_230454210.LS_exported_175.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	581983   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211231_225802093.LS_exported_0.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	581988  

Last edited by 455dan; 01-15-2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:23 PM
Suspended

In case you want AC in that vehicle, I have the full Dash from 1976-79 from my 1979 project TA. About 95 % complete from A-Z, Includes all. $2,000 gets you cold. Might be different from original, but it will make a difference in comfort. All the interior parts nothing for under the hood. If you're interested, I will come up with the list. This price is for anybody else too until its sold. E-Mail Mike @ crpt428@yahoo.com direct and I will send my phone number to your personal E-mail. Shipping at your expense of course.

Good job in the history with that special find, bring it back to life on a Rotisserie as mine was done, inside and out. You have a piece of unique history their good luck and spare no expense and your return will be huge.

This is my 1979 Pontiac TA with a Pontiac 1967 428 ci Tri-Power Intake and Rochester Carbs. TH 400 Trans. with B+M Shifter. Has a Gear Vendors unit and Hurb Adams Suspension. See my other sites on the PY forum for more details if you wish.

You can document that car build here, as you go, for us to see. From what I can see the car is a street driven Vehicle, so might as well be comfortable. The last time I sold AC parts from my Chevelle project they went fast. It would be my Honor to have these parts in the "HO" history Book. You have first right of refusal from Tradermike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	582006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	582007   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	582008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	582011   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	582012  

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 01-15-2022 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the offer Mike, but I want to keep it really close to the way it was set up by Kern, many of his mods were done to move the center of gravity rearward and to keep the weight down.

Couple other things I did remember from the time I talked to him. And speaking of weight, One was while the wide Rally 2 wheels he built for it that are in all the pictures (and they do handle well) they are heavy. All four are welded a full 360 degrees. Kern suggested WS6 8 inch wide snowflakes like Joes white 72 455 HO T/A in the car show picture I linked. I did buy a set. Kern also suggested changing from the 4 leaf T/A springs to a set of 1978 Z/28 5 leaf sets, I did that to. Another thing I remembered was Kern also set the car up with a faster ratio power steering box to quicken the steering. Also Kern installed both a mechancal Carter fuel pump at the engine and a Carter electric at the tank and upsized the fuel line to. Thanks Again for the offer i will ad some more pics as I get to it

PS I changed the dash to a painted black air condition piece instead of the engine turned one that it had . The glare from sun reflection always bugged me. I still have the original.
In the A/C dash I added a mechanical oil pressure and vacuum gauge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220116_030414100~2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	582018   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220116_025656250.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	582021   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220116_025712154.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	582025  

Last edited by 455dan; 01-16-2022 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:01 AM
Suspended

I had the Snow Flake rims on my 1981 Camaro Z-28 and they were not stock for that car. My current Pontiac has the fast-Steering Box it's about one and a Quarter C/C.

Notice the pivot points on the Hurb Adam front Sway Bar and the Rear Sway Bar is also done that way. Hurb went with less Leaf spring in the rear but more HD and lower. The front Springs are thicker in diameter and shorter in height. I have Belltech 2" lower Spindle and 12" rotor from a Police Impala that fits the Belltech Spindle. Belltech set-up is older, prior to aftermarket kits today.

I have custom made Roll Bar in the Cab, Motor compartment and Trunk. Note, the custom Sub-Frame connectors front to rear. Koni adjustable Shocks round things off. Hurb Adams Designed your cars Suspension and Motor along with others in Pontiac in those days. I can appreciate you're keeping your car as close as it was from "HO". If you lived here in south Florida as I do, you would think twice!

Hurb Adams is the one I Build my car in remembrance of because that is who is behind the suspension this car came with. Hurb, also like the "HO" guys-built parts for the Pontiac enthusiast. Hurb designed the Fire-Am and the Cheverra, he also is the former engineer of R+D @ Pontiac who invented the WS6 option. I spoke to him one time about his suspension while I was building this Vehicle, also about his dream car Contessa.

I have 4-Wheel Disc. Brakes and 3.23 Posi-traction Rear End. I added every option a car can use and I need to finish the Cruise Control. Before that, I need to fix or rebuild the Trans. The Interior is aftermarket new with Carpet and Headliner custom installed by me. Extra, insulation throughout and behind all inner plastic interior walls. Interior was Painted before the upholstery, same Yellow as the outside. Under the Vehicle all parts are Painted too. Spun on a Rotisserie in the process. The Interior Vinyl is SEM Black Landau with Semi-gloss Clear.

I added Full Retractable Seat belts, custom installed in this "T"- Top car. Rear Defroster and Glove Box Electric opener too. Elec. Door Locks plus windows help. Remote Mirror with Sport Mirrors bullet look. Gear Vendors over under drive with B+M Ratchet Shifter. In the Center Glove Box is the GV computer Box and Trans. Temp. Gauge. Extra Side kick to cool with an Electric Fan in Front of the Radiator. I still use the Temperature HD Clutch Fan with the special 180-degree 3-hole Thermostat. Temp. is 195 degrees "F".

In the Trunk is Dual Batt. and the Sudbury Switch plus an Inverter that runs the Side Kick. Electric Fuel pump at the lower than Fuel Tank area. Dual Exhaust runs through the Rear Diffuser "no" Muffler's. Rear Window with Black Metal Louver. Trans Am Scoop for cold Air Induction with a GTO Pan under the Tri-Power set-up is the best way to keep the Engine from Percolating and I use Rec-90 Fuel that has no Alcohol. I have an extra oil cooler via a Doughnut adapter. The Trans. has one as well along with the Power Steering. The Front end is rebuilt and I use Semi- metalic Brake Pads. I Installed Metal Brake Lines too. All new Fuel and Brake lines from Inline Tube. I too added an extra Fuel line to the original by tapping into the existing Charcoal Canister line that came with this 1979 Pontiac by Teeing off the original Fuel line. I also added a 160 mph Speedo. My car has solid Body Mounts to lower the Vehicle even more. I had to put Spring Spacers under the Front and between the Springs to go over speed bumps. Like I said, am I missing any practical options? Any ways there will always be something to add down the road, just keeping her on the road running keeps me busy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	582019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	582020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	582022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	582023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	582024  

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 01-16-2022 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:09 AM

WoW you do have a lot of Mods done to your Bird. That gear venders always was something i thought was really cool. I also like the Heim joint sway bar connectors

No doubt All T/A fans owe a lot to Herb Adams , I do know he was the Special Projects Lead engineer.
There would be No T/A, No Ram Air, No Shaker, and No Super Duty 455 without him.

I also Know back in the Day Dick Guldstrand and Herb Adams took different approaches to making a car handle without body sway.
My understanding was Guldstrand was a fan of much higher spring rates with smaller diameter sway bars.

Herb preferred Huge sway bars and lighter springs.

Herb's cars I bet rode better overall and especially on rough roads and cornered flat also. My car has the shortened Guldstrand high rate thick front springs Cut as described by Kern and a standard size front sway bar for its day I would describe my cars front suspension as firm even after 40 years and that is with the Konis replaced with less stiff shocks.

H-O also produced that great Kit for the A body cars IIRC called the Strong Arm suspension that used the second gen spindles and other Tweaks to improve handling. That Info would be neat to add to this sticky
You have jogged my memory again

Kern also told me that he was working on and had engineered several upgrades (handling upgrades) for the G Body cars and this was In addition to running Tower Manufacturing full time. Don't know what became of those mods whether they were considered H-O or maybe sold as Tower?

Old 01-16-2022, 04:16 AM
Suspended

Just in case, I have a small stock of Dash Bezels and their wood grain, not sure if their AC ones but you can drill if needed. That will Look more period correct. Mike out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	582026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	582027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	582028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 212.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	582029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 037.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	582030  

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 01-16-2022 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:37 AM
Suspended

Explain to the Forum what you mean by "Tower", I for one don't know what or who they are, Thank you. Mike out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	582031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 038.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	582032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 054.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	582033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 042.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	582034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	582035  

Old 01-16-2022, 01:16 PM

"No doubt All T/A fans owe a lot to Herb Adams , I do know he was the Special Projects Lead engineer.
There would be No T/A, No Ram Air, No Shaker, and No Super Duty 455 without him.

I also Know back in the Day Dick Guldstrand and Herb Adams took different approaches to making a car handle without body sway.
My understanding was Guldstrand was a fan of much higher spring rates with smaller diameter sway bars.
"

I agree with you on Herb Adams, and him being a GM suspension engineer, he knew his stuff. Once his VSE parts became available (still have the catalogue) , I bought and installed much of it - oil pan and pick-up, sway bars, cut a coil off the front springs, replaced body mount bushings with thin solid aluminum, front brake cooling ducts and hose, rear spring shackle revision, spring eye mount rework, Koni shocks, etc. I still remember how that transformed the handling of my car the first time I drove it. I was aware of the Gulstrand approach, and although great for pure track, stiff springs suck on the street.
That was "back then" technology, much of it still is spot on. But then came along Tubular Control Arms, aftermarket Brakes and Rotors (like Wilwood), Coil Over shocks, and Slide a Link Traction Bars. Takes it to a whole 'nother level.

And - "OK the story of how I ended up with Kern's Red 73 SD powered 455 T/A" What a story. Always was my dream car other than my Bandit. At least I have the SD455 rods in my engine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1348.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	582065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0061 (2).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	582066  

Last edited by Hesster1977; 01-16-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Explain to the Forum what you mean by "Tower", I for one don't know what or who they are, Thank you. Mike out.

OK, again this is partly just what I "heard" Kern say along with what I have read about H-O Racings history. I am no expert, ABSOLUTELY No expert .

Tower Tool and Die and later? MFG? was Kern Osterstock's fathers company and Kern was working for his dad and also as O of H-O Racing.

At some point dad saw all of the correspondence passing through Towers secretaries desk "H-O correspondence" and dad asked Kern to decide on running Tower full time- or be more involved with H-O, Kern concentrated on Tower, later maybe when his father retired decided to do some work on parts for G body cars maybe expand Towers sales? maybe?

Come to think of it there maybe a G body Grand Prix out there that was also owned and modded by Kern.

ps. After re-reading my story on how I ended up with the TA

I think I may have given the impression my father gave me those other Pontiacs. He did Not
Had 2 jobs, working at a gas station and for dad, SS# taxes, checking account at 14, plus car loans, at the bank for the cars I could not buy with cash.
Don't want to give any young ones Ideas on what they should "Expect" from their dads. That should be up to a dad

ps. here is a link to H-O High Output this one Nov 1977 from Mission Garages site:

http://missiongarage.com/photogaller...t-nov-1977.pdf

Last edited by 455dan; 01-16-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Closed Thread