THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default what is the deal with responders to a craigslist ad asking me to email them?

I haven't put an ad on craigslist in over a year. In the past I was always bombarded with texts from scammers wanting to help me sell whatever it was, or wanting me to text them back saying if I still had it. Today I posted two ads; one for five 8 lug rims and one for a '62 Cataline frame + component parts. Both ads stated that the items must be picked up in Sour Lake, Texas. Almost immediately I got three hits where people wanted me to verify that the frame was still available, one each from California, Alabama, and Colorado, but asking me to email them back.

It has been my experience that if someone really wanted something they would call and the texting always turned out to be BS. Now it's "email me". I don't think so.

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Sane here

Yep happens to me too. I hate those scamming Aholes!

Old 10-05-2021, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

scammers are out there.

Put calls only at top of ad, then ignore emails, google code verification, and request to email them usually at a Gmail address.

If someone is real and can read, they will call and ask real questions.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Scammers work to build up valid and active email lists.

Then they sell them to people who want to send out their own email spam.

If you collect a few thousand emails - and yes, they are that prolific - and then sell the list to 100+ other scammers, it's a decent chunk of change.....

I always reply THRU CL or OfferUp that they can reach me at big.tony@fbi.gov

Never hear back.....

Old 10-05-2021, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep they are just putting your email address on a list. Also if you get "is item still available" or I want to buy your "item" send me your address. Just scammers. Or the one that gets me is the nice newer car for $1277, and it has a picture that looks from a magazine,it never has a ph# just a email in BOLD print. They are collecting email address.

TOM
Old 10-06-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have over 400 blocked emailers on my home email address. There are many creative ways people swipe it.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:53 PM

Never use CL's automated emailing system

You'll get nuthin but spam bots

Instead, add a photo to your listings with your contact info

A bot won't be able to use this and if a buyer actually takes the time to type out your email address where they cant copy and paste, chances are they're legit and won't waste your time

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 98 SNAKE EATER For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2021, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the responses fellas.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put my cell number insisting that anyone interested must call. Got a text saying they thought I was a scammer and wanted to send me a code and wanted me to send the same code back? I wish I could copy and paste my response but I would be banned here. Never heard from them again?

Old 10-13-2021, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm having the same problems with my ads to sell some goats (the four legged kind) for my dad. Never had any problems before the last two ads I've posted. Always had good responses and never had any problems selling until recently, they usually sold in a couple of days. Now three months and haven't sold a one.
The previous ad had an idiot with an Ohio phone number wanting codes and then telling me I was a scammer because I wouldn't comply.

A poor man has poor ways.