THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was the engine run on a dyno just wondering what it made? It’s a 400?

Old 10-13-2021, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well they had a 413 (according to a 1971 article in rod set and super stock) inch originally, but it’s numbers on the block are those of a 428 pro stock engine which are noted in an article I have and Tom S confirmed . But I personally haven’t had it opened up . It’s got a stroker crank in it now and I have the orginal crank still.
As far as I know Nunzi had an intake Arnie beswick had an intake and steohens Pontiac had an intake. This is Stephens.
BOP has Arnie’s. And nunzi has his still

I have pictures of Arnie’s engine as well somewhere but he ran bigger carbs on it. Though as far as I know BoP has the original style 660 center squatters back on it.

It was only dyno d to 6500 and I believe the dyno sheet is earlier in this thread . I’ll hav ego look back and see made 600+ Hp

Intake is a developmental part number dual quad from Pontiac engineering that is shown in Mc carthys book

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 10-13-2021, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BOP does not have Arnies as far as I know?I know it came from a RA V racer in Nor Cal as he bought it about a hour before I called the guy.Nunzi HAS a intake along with at least one of the dual plane 2-4 RA V intakes.There is also a PY member that has intake.Arnies intake was made into a blower intake.Tom

Old 10-13-2021, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the clarification Tom I knew you’d know where they were.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Well they had a 413 (according to a 1971 article in rod set and super stock) inch originally, but it’s numbers on the block are those of a 428 pro stock engine which are noted in an article I have and Tom S confirmed . But I personally haven’t had it opened up . It’s got a stroker crank in it now and I have the orginal crank still.
As far as I know Nunzi had an intake Arnie beswick had an intake and steohens Pontiac had an intake. This is Stephens.
BOP has Arnie’s. And nunzi has his still

I have pictures of Arnie’s engine as well somewhere but he ran bigger carbs on it. Though as far as I know BoP has the original style 660 center squatters back on it.

It was only dyno d to 6000 and I believe the dyno sheet is earlier in this thread . It made 617+ Hp @6k and was gaining

Intake is a developmental part number dual quad from Pontiac engineering that is shown in Mc carthys book
It’s an awesome engine having had quite a few race engines that were N/A Pontiac’s and a couple turbo engines

It definitely sounds and runs different than any of those . It revs a lot quicker more like my friends big block chevys or even some small blocks.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Btw that post above should have said acid dipped, Stephens took a subframe, a arms etc for the RAV car and sent them out to someone in California and had them acid dipped bill said they were very thin and that’s why he didn’t think they’d have sold it to the public after. He doesn’t know where it went but many say it went to JW greens in Plainville and was scrapped after the engine was sold

I’ve since found a photo that has confirmed the 69 raced in the 70 season. A friend who has passed, took the photo, and I hadn't realized what he said when he sent it , but he wasn’t back from viet nam until well into 70 so he couldn’t have taken the pic earlier. Sadly he passed away so can’t ask him more about it. He also owned this RAV engine at one time and was the person who bought it from Stephens Pontiac

Also for those who don’t know , frank who started this thread has sadly passed away as well. Guess he passed A couple days before I texted him to show him the RAV running in the car. He Never got to see it running or go for a ride w me .

Old 03-16-2022, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the additional info.
Sorry to hear of Frank's passing.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-16-2022, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I happened apon a 63 Catalina at Keystone Raceway about 1976. It was a Swiss Cheese car with a dual quad RA V in it. Owner said it was 440 ci. with automatic.Car was the original Royal car(at the time I didnt recognize it because of paint). I new Phil Heck, he acquired it.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I happened apon a 63 Catalina at Keystone Raceway about 1976. It was a Swiss Cheese car with a dual quad RA V in it. Owner said it was 440 ci. with automatic.Car was the original Royal car(at the time I didnt recognize it because of paint). I new Phil Heck, he acquired it.
Happen to have pics?
I have some pics of arnies 68 firebird w the dual quads and the engine out of the car.
Crane Roller rockers on it and larger carbs than the 660 center squirters .

Old 03-18-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
That engine made 555 ft. lbs. torque or more over a 1500 RPM range, nice and flat. Very nice.
That's the first thing I noticed too. My Goodness, what a monster! That thing must feel like a full-tilt space shuttle launch when the go pedal's mashed

Old 03-18-2022, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No. However the Hecks took the car to the POCI Convention I think Downington,Pa.The one magazine had pictures of it in one issue. I cant think of mags name, oh shoot, I dont think it was HPP but its predecessor. Not color but described color. The car was sold and brought back to Royal Pontiac condition. I saw the car at Norwalk years later.