Old 09-21-2007, 05:17 PM

Default TH350 missing snap ring

I'm currently rebuilding an TH-350 for my 62 Catalina. The old case I know has been welded at least once and rebuild multiple times. I bought a used, recently rebuilt trans that was in pretty good shape. Come to find out later the cooler fittings had been invaded by wasps and they made a nice home in the front pump. So basically I'm taking everything apart cleaning and checking for wear without needing to replace much. On to the current problem.

Upon disassembly of the trans, I notice I was lacking the output carrier-to-output shaft retaining ring. Judging from Ron Sessions book, its an external snap ring about an inch or so in diameter that goes on the end of the output shaft. I see no signs of wear in that area to indicate it was jostled loose by the trans. I found no remains of the ring. It appears to have been omitted, intentionally or not.

Is/can this snap ring left out when rebuilding? Its position in the trans doesn't look like it would be loaded at all. Is the output carrier retained on its shaft by the other components?

If it should be used, does anyone know where this part could be obtained, locally preferably (part number from a dealer/napa/advance/auto zone would be awesome), I haven't had any luck so far finding it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are talking about the snap ring that holds the front planetary on the output shaft, if the end play is set properly, it will run fine without it.
I have never left one out.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Old thread, same issue

HI guys,

I’m building a th350 and the same output shaft snap ring was missing from the trans I’m rebuilding. My planet is the bearing type and it is lunched and bearing locked up. I have a feeling this happened due to the previous build possibly leaving this ring out. It was not there on disassembly

I have look far and wide and cannot find a source or part number for one. the 700r4 one is too big.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 10-16-2021, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just find a snap ring and install it for peace of mind. I do agree that if end play is properly set there is no issue as the front planet would just float on the shaft. I would want to see a pretty tight setup though, preferably with a bearing style front pump thrust.

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 10-16-2021, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stop by any local trans shop, ask for one. They've probably got piles of cores, maybe even some already disassembled with the parts tucked-away on shelves.