Old 11-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Tuning-...9124996&sr=8-1
the design and tuning of competition engines.

how about this book?
I was thinking of picking it up but wondering if anyone can vouch for it.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewT View Post

how about this book?
Has anyone got this book?

how about those Pete McCarthy books? the musclecar one seems to be a nice bible of part numbers from what I hear

Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Traker82

What book or resource would you guys recomend for an engine swap. This summer I am going to take out my tired 301 and replace with another BOP (still trying to find one). What I am looking for is the basics that would tell me, what to check before I pull it out, while its out how to prep the bay, when I put it back what to remember and finally what to do before turning over a freshly built engine.

Cheers

Old 02-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim Hands book. http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Perf.../dp/1884089674

Read lots on this board as well as other Poncho sites.

Burn pics on disc so you have a backup.

Take pics of everything, and bag parts with descriptions or tags in side bag...

Good luck
Charles

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to know about the very early history of GM including the beginnings of Pontiac and Oakland read this:

Sloan, Alfred P., Jr. My Years with General Motors, 1963

It's a bit dry and tedious in parts due to the presentation of financial information, production numbers, and administrative policy, but there is lots of info on the early inner workings of GM and interesting tidbits. For example, Walter P. Chrysler and Charles Nash worked for Buick, Chevrolet once owned GM, Buick was the original product, etc.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

With all these books i should have a degree
I have not read as much as i do now .

Old 12-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default SAE article compilation

This is not Pontiac specific, but the info can certainly be applied.

Design of Racing and High Performance Engines
Edited by Joseph Harralson
SAE PT-53
Copyright 1995
ISBN 1-56091-601-x

I don't know exactly where to get it, I am borrowing it from a friend.

Some of the articles cover things like internal engine friction, valve events and engine operation, valve spring dynamics, air flow through poppet valves, volumetric efficiency using mean inlet Mach number, induction refinement using steady state flow benches, plus articles on Ford's Mk II 427GT induction system and the D.O.H.C competition engine. Lotta math but if you can hang with it its quite an education.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
This is not Pontiac specific, but the info can certainly be applied.

Design of Racing and High Performance Engines
Edited by Joseph Harralson
SAE PT-53
Copyright 1995
ISBN 1-56091-601-x

I don't know exactly where to get it, I am borrowing it from a friend.

Some of the articles cover things like internal engine friction, valve events and engine operation, valve spring dynamics, air flow through poppet valves, volumetric efficiency using mean inlet Mach number, induction refinement using steady state flow benches, plus articles on Ford's Mk II 427GT induction system and the D.O.H.C competition engine. Lotta math but if you can hang with it its quite an education.
Just bought a used copy on Amazon. Thanks for the info. I love this kind of stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Perform.../dp/156091601X

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
There is another book by Pete McCarthy and John Angeles called Pontiac Racer's & High Performance Handbook. This, and Pete's other very good books can be found here:
http://www.petemccarthy.com/

Please excuse the cheesy MIDI version of the Beach Boys "409" that you will be subjected to when you go to his website.
Great links to Pontiac literature, but I just had to correct this...the Midi song is "Little GTO"....not "409", of course . I know its a real old post but just had to fix that!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 AM

A book I bought years ago and really enjoy is The Big "Little GTO" Book by Albert Drake. Mainly history but very cool.

Also, I got a free copy of GTO Buyer's Guide, and it was missing major info on the '64-'65 GTO as well as some totally incorrect info on tail panels of '65 GTO models being different than '65 Le Mans tail panels.

Maybe the book has been updated, and I don't mean any offense. The copy I have is 18 years old! But not even a mention of 5N and differences in cowl tag stamping (like Fremont vs Pontiac).

1965 Le Mans Convertible 326HO
1965 GTO 4 speed Convertible
1964 Olds 442 real!
1930 Model A Coupe (current project)
1927 T Roadster traditional style Hot Rod

All of these cars are heaps...but I like them!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rocky Rotella's most recent book and Jim Hand's book are in my opinion the seminal text's on building/rebuilding, modifying and tuning Pontiac V8's. Pete McCarthy's book (Pontiac Musclecar Performance) is also a must have particularly for history, part identification and restoration details

Old 11-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewT View Post

how about this book?
I have owned that book and the Intake book (by Smith) for about 40 years.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Jim Hands book

Amazon wanted over $70 when I used the link in this thread. I found it for $21 bucks on Ames Performance website. Is there a better place to get this and Cliff Ruggles book on carbs and his other book on TH400's. The book by Cliff on TH400 was $25 and $24 for the Q-Jet book. Anybody know a better place for these? I am trying to improve my knowledge base especially on working on the internals. I have done a lot of bolt on stuff but would like to get a better idea of cams, rods, crank etc..Anybody that is ready to pass one down but doesn't have any gearhead kids I am available for adoption and would gladly pay shipping

Old 05-26-2015, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Timing 101 and Mapping Your Advance by John Hinckley

I found John Hinckley's Tech Aricles VERY informative to understanding how your distributor's timing works and how to map the curve
Don

http://http://www.corvette-restorati.../Timing101.pdf

http://http://www.stl-vettes.com/65V...ng_Advance.pdf

1966 GTO

1966 421-9.3-1 comp-Race Tec 23cc Pistons
1966 Tri-Power
1967 670 Heads
Pontiac "Highlift" TriPower Cam by SpeedPro
DUR 214 Int 224 Exh @.050 - 107 ICL
LIFT .445" Int .465" Exh
Tri-Y-Headers by Tribal Tubes w/ Goerlich Mufflers
1966 Muncie Wide Ratio 4-Speed
1968-72 Chevy 12 Bolt Rear End w/ 3.73 rear gears
Old 04-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paul Sandoval's Pontiac Engine Books

I acquired the two books by Paul Sandoval in late Feb 2020 but because of the onset of the Covid-19 situation did not get to read them until just recently. Unlike many authors who have gone through publishers like Car Tech, Paul self-published his books and had them printed in the USA (Columbia, SC), something that is difficult that I applaud him for. The books mention his years working for GM before he went out and formed his own performance company. The books are a pair and based on his experience and knowledge gained over the years building high performance Pontiac engines for his customers.
The two books are titled Building Pontiac Torque and Power the Sandoval Performance Way, the second is Building a Strong Pontiac Combination for the Street. The two books are a pair since the first book covers a lot of short block info while the second one covers the upper end (heads, intakes, fuel, ignition, etc.). Mr. Sandoval goes into how he goes about preparing the short block and the machining operations (his recommendations regarding clearances, etc.), and his choices regarding various parts suppliers for Pontiac engines. In the second book he also covers drivetrain recommendations along with the performance buildups/parts recommendations.
Neither of the books have chapters, they have section headings through out so you know what is covered there. Book one lacks page numbers while book two does have page numbering. I used small sticky notes to divide the books up to where I could turn to sections that wanted easy access to. Both books are lavishly illustrated so you know what he is referring to.
In addition to the two Rocky Rotella books, I feel I have a very good library on how to build a sound high performance Pontiac engine. Personally, I can recommend you acquire these books as they cover things that are not in most of the other Pontiac engine books. As with most everything, opinions vary from individual to individual and this is one gearhead’s opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paul Sandoval Books.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	537916  

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 03-30-2023, 05:18 AM

Supertuning your firebird trans am by Joe Oldham. Big chunk of the book was sourced from H-O Racing Specialties Inc. Back in the day my heads were prepped & ported using H-O's info in this book. Add In Herb Adams & Nunzi.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3141.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	609932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	609933  

Old 02-18-2024, 03:45 PM
Exhaust Guru

Dad's book is available again now through BOP Engineering. Basically the same price as it was years ago plus a bit for inflation. Wade get's around $30 for it now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 6.13.57 PM copy-1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	628857