THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdHank View Post
You skipped the Solstice on your list. Was that an error or do you not consider it a Pontiac?
Also missing is the G8 but that is a re-badged Holden.
The list for the Tombstone was posted here on the PY forums for all to see, and I asked if there were any omissions to the rank and file here. The only answer I got that wasn't included was Fiero. The second printing of the shirt was changed to include the Fiero, and all subsequent printings.

I had one person ask me at Norwalk why the Tempest Custom S series wasn't on there too. I tried to make the list as accurate as possible for the models.

The Vibe wasn't included, nor was the Aztek, My wife actually owns and drives a Vibe, and we still forgot it. If you scrutinize the list on the Tombstone I'm sure you can find some other models that were left off of it. No omissions were intentional, I made an honest attempt to include everyone's favorite model to the point of posting it on these forums asking if I overlooked any models.

The simple answer is, I'm human, and humans make errors, any omission was not intentional, but an error.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-11-2021, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
I think it is funny how people always point to the Goverment handout and that is the reason they will never drive a GM product again. Yet Dodge did the same thing and people do not seem to mind driving Mopars. Dont even get me started on people who drive import cars and wonder why Ford and Chevy are/had to cut passenger car production now and in the past

By "Dodge", I suppose you meant the parent company Chrysler during the Iaccoca era.

I'm in my mid 60's and have never owned a Chrysler product, a front wheel drive vehicle or an import brand. Not a hater of the others, just never desired one enough to buy one.

Yes, that is entirely possible.

Currently own 2 Expeditions, an Excursion, an Envoy and S10, '72 Grand Prix, '67 GTO, '67 Corvette.

The GMC Envoy and 2001 Chevy S10 (54K miles) require constant attention and repairs. The Fords are dead on reliable with many more miles.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:37 PM
Senior Chief

What I've never had are a F*rd or a pickup or a 4x4/AWD. Always kinds wanted a Firefly but never had the opportunity.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the Aztec gets trashed a lot on here and for very good reason.BUT if you do a search (Google) there’s someone out there who did a body kit and wheels that makes the Aztec look amazing! If they had built that one even I might have bought it.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I think you need to check your numbers.

Pontiac sold 382,949 vehicles in the USA in 2008 down 21.2% from 2007.

Buick sold a mere 154,275, down 23.5% from 2007.

Pontiac was selling 60% more vehicles and in the midst of a recession didn't lose as much volume as Buick.

Buick's top seller was the Buick Enclave with nearly 1/3 of all Buick sales for 2008. Their actual car sales were terrible.

Pontiac had the G5, G6, G8, Grand Prix, Solstice, Torrent and Vibe. There was a G6 convertible, the Solstice 2 seater and the V8 powered G8.

Buick had an over priced Chevy Traverse as their best selling model. Nothing of value would have been lost if GM had axed Buick, but we lost a convertible model and a 2 seater as a result of the decision.
Had they made the solstice bigger and 2+2 (t/a sized ) with the LS engine it would have destroyed the vette
In sales !

Or at least the size and interior of the 330 ci BMW not the Z3
BMW 330 sized solstice w a 3800 Buick or a 4.3 sized turbocharged engine or an LS would have Been an awesome platform
Maybe All wheel drive like a Cyclone or typhoon too

Last edited by turbo69bird; 10-12-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Not true! The Kappa cars were doing well, and very unique. Lots of profit, and made in the USA.
Buick only kept for 5 reasons.. Short name and.. 4 plants in China.
True. The Solstice and Sky were interesting little cars. I just think Pontiac backed themselves into a spot where they had to rely on a car that wasn't super practical to help save them. Everything else offered was really bland.

It sucks. I wish they were still around, but from a business perspective I understand why they kept Buick and killed Pontiac.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw a guy on the weekend driving a really nice '67 Chevelle. We got to chatting and he said it was the best looking car that GM made. I said "sorry, but Chevy styling is no match for Pontiac". He was not happy, but we laughed it off. As he drove off, I said "it's true, though".

Old 10-12-2021, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the things that always drew me toward the Pontiac cars vs Chevy, Buick was the styling, particularly the interiors. Of course the wonderful Pontiac V-8 was under the hood, but the entire car had a completely different feel than the other divisions. That's why people chose a particular brand vs another. Line for line, A body, F body, B body, the Pontiac version always felt "right to me" Better handling, tighter steering feel, quieter interior, nicer soft materials, better seats, fewer rattles, better fit and finish, more functional, sporty dash face, instruments and controls, even in the B body. It's all a matter of taste of course. But having nothing in the dash face than two giant dials and a host of idiot lights like a Buick LeSabre vs a Bonneville does nothing for me. Having 4 color choices, Sweat sock brown, gun metal gray, Arabian sand or white as my color palate in a LeSabre, with the only interior option leather or cloth, does little to inspire. Changing the name from LeSabre to Lucerne and doing nothing else, just alienated the handful of customers they had left. Almost every Chevy I drive or ride in just screams Cheap, Cheap Cheap. With a few exceptions of course. The interior panels, dash, seats, are all glowing examples of how to take all the money out of the component, and just put enough pennies back in to make it to the end of the warranty. The interior plastics remind me of my grandson's Power Wheel car. The Chevrolet Bolt and Trax are great examples of "toy level" interiors.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Saw a guy on the weekend driving a really nice '67 Chevelle. We got to chatting and he said it was the best looking car that GM made. I said "sorry, but Chevy styling is no match for Pontiac". He was not happy, but we laughed it off. As he drove off, I said "it's true, though".
The way I see it Chevy is a beginners car
Everyone has one in their collection at first , but Once you’ve matured you buy Pontiac’s !

Some never mature they just keep buying the same old SS camaro or Chevelles

What I do think we need to see more of is period correct day 2 cars in Pontiac land .

We’ve done the hell out of the original stuff and it’s kind of boring for non Pontiac people to go to a show because at first glance it’s all the same thing.

My opinion is Some period correct day2 stuff would help people stay interested in our brand. Not saying take apart an original car but when building one why not make it like they were actually seen on the streets.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:33 PM

IMO GM should have done away with GMC a long time ago. The Chevy and GMC truck is basically the same thing, yes the GMC is supposed to be more refined truck but to such a small degree it does not matter. Even if GM thought they would loose the GMC crowd to Ford or Dodge trucks GM has been losing customers anyway.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:19 PM
Senior Chief

Pontiac did a pace car support Aztek for Daytona one year. It was lowered with the cladding being body colored and wider wheels and tires. It looked like a totally different car. I liked the interior of the Aztek. It drove pretty nice. The all wheel drive was pretty cool. It needed the 3800 supercharged powertrain instead of the 3400.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
IMO GM should have done away with GMC a long time ago. The Chevy and GMC truck is basically the same thing, yes the GMC is supposed to be more refined truck but to such a small degree it does not matter. Even if GM thought they would loose the GMC crowd to Ford or Dodge trucks GM has been losing customers anyway.
I would've been more upset if GMC wasn't around. I'm a big GMC guy.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-12-2021, 05:21 PM
Senior Chief

FWIW my Judge is driven on the street. Has always been.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Aztec o was thinking of in an earlier post

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/417990409144973955/

That car could have been just about anything other than what it became and it would have been better what Pontiac put out was pathetic looking.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was in the market a few years back for a 3/4 ton truck. I was interested in both the GMC and Ford versions and went to look at both at several dealerships. First thing I discovered is that GMC dealership inventory of 3/4 ton trucks is miniscule compared to the Ford dealerships. No comparison. After driving both vehicles it was pretty much a toss up as to which one I wanted. The deciding factor for me was, 1) GM taking the government bailout money under the OBAMA administration. 2) GM running Pontiac into the ground with poor management over it's last few years and, ultimately, killing the brand. I love my new Ford Super Duty F-250!

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 10-12-2021, 07:23 PM

I know I am a PONTIAC NuT because I have an Arrow head on both forearms!

Old 10-12-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
It sucks. I wish they were still around, but from a business perspective I understand why they kept Buick and killed Pontiac.
From a business perspective, domestically, I thought the best decision GM could have made would be to turn every dealership in to a "GM" dealership and bring the top sellers from each division to be sold under one roof. I never understood with the move to corporate engine programs they didn't go in this direction with the rest of it. This would have minimized dealerships closing and not have to sacrifice losing their customers with brand loyalty. Past and current unit sales would drive which models are kept and dropped.

Regarding the OP friend bringing a 98 Buick to a car show, as long as it meets the shows requirements, (1998 and older) I have no problem with it. Being a car guy, I enjoy seeing a variety of cars and years. If a car appeals to me I take a closer look, if it doesn't, like a 98 Buick, I keep walking.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The GMC 2500HD's are such a better looking truck than the Chevy 2500HD Can't stand the upsidedown face on the chevy. Has the Aztec look with the blinkers on the hood. Also not a big fan of the step in the side of the box on either of them. No way I am climbing over the side of a painted box to get something anyway. Does nothing for the looks.
The Ford 2500 is a good looking truck. Never owned one though. yet...

When pontiac was put to rest. there where so many grand prix, grand ams & G series cars on the road. they outnumbered olds & buick combined around here. now they are slowly going away, but there are still a few of them on the road.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The main reason I started designing, and having Pontiac T shirts printed was, because I never saw any Pontiac T shirts that had anything on them but a picture or two of certain Pontiac performance cars. There was nothing edgy, just some lame pictures with a few words sometimes.

I wanted something that said the way I felt about the brand and showed allegiance to the marque. We started with only one shirt, "Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties". I showed the chevy emblem with the cancelled circle over it.

From there over 7 years we sold thousands of the "Indianhead Acres" Pontiac themed T shirts, and had a loyal following. We ended up with 15 different designs, and well some sold better than others, we never had any that didn't sell.

The "PONTIADDICT" shirt was a very good seller too, (see my avatar picture) told how myself, and others fellow enthusiasts really felt about owning and driving Pontiacs. We sold shirts with attitude, same as PMD sold cars with attitude.

After 7 years being tied to a T shirt stand at car shows, and races, my wife and I decided to sell out the inventory, and be able to walk the showfields during an event, and watch the racing. It was fun while it lasted, but it was also a lot of work.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-12-2021, 11:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
The disturbing part is he thinks a ‘98 LeSabre is a classic car.
My takeaway as well!