Old 10-19-2021, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default transmission tubing/hose question

I have a '91 Allante that has trans cooler lines with hoses in the tube assy. I would like to replace the hose sectionsdue to leakage. I doubt if I need hi pressure hydraulic hose and I wonder if I can use A/C hose and fittings since I also already have a suitable crimper.

My other choice is to replace the section with a coil of tubing to take up any movement between the transaxle and core support.

Obviously a replacement is not available that I can find.

George

Old 10-19-2021, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A/C hose may not be chemically compatible. Maybe yes...maybe no.

Use PS return hose. Chemically compatible, suitable for high heat. Should be available at any auto parts store in 3/8; other sizes may be tougher to source. Or hose sold as "Transmission cooler hose". Likely less expensive than A/C hose. If that's of a suitable outside diameter for your crimper, great. If not, hose clamps will work, but avoid the common, cheap "worm gear" style unless they're shielded so the rubber doesn't extrude through the holes. "Fuel Injection" hose clamps work great, if the clamp size is suitable for the OD of the hose. Naturally, you'd want to assure that the tubing ends have a bead, so the clamped/crimped hose can't slide off.

Examples:
PS Return hose in 3/8:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NPS7...pressionRank=2

Trans cooler hose, no size listed:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBHH...pressionRank=1

Last edited by Schurkey; 10-19-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:56 PM
Senior Chief

I agree, use trans hose. Auto parts sell it. I also use the fuel injection clamps, 2 on each end and have had great success. I used to do this before trans cooler hose assemblies were commonly available. I used to cut the metal band clamp off, put on some new hose and then double clamp. Have never had a problem. Allante's are cool. I remember when they were new. We had a few in our engineering fleet at GM. They really were fun when the Northstar engine was installed.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys...like a duma$$, hadn't considered just using the trans hose. The clamps are a good idea too.

I always put a bead on tubing ends so I have that covered.

George

Old 10-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Senior Chief

Once you remove the metal band clamp, there may be ridges on the tubing already. I have seen that before. The hose grips those ridges and then the metal band clamps the hose. I think Jiffy tite might be the brand or company that does those. The GM front drive cars used those type of connections.