Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone have the friction coefficients (static and dynamic) for the two friction materials used by Hayes, Mcleod etc for their sintered iron disks

The two materials listed are 5135 (aggressive) and 5191 (softer lockup). Is there a table which cross references these materials with disks from say AFT or l&T who seem to use Rockwell for different disk comparisons

If anyone uses clutch Pro or other clutch setup software I think there is a listing in the program for the more popular disks

The reason for asking is I am currently developing a spreadsheat to map the torque capacity of my the varoius disks vs engine torque using adjustable plate load, level height and centrifugal assist curves to try and get a baseline for clutch lockup points

Any info out there ????

Working on going faster!!!

Old 03-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone have the friction coefficients (static and dynamic) for the two friction materials used by Hayes, Mcleod etc for their sintered iron disks

The two materials listed are 5135 (aggressive) and 5191 (softer lockup). Is there a table which cross references these materials with disks from say AFT or l&T who seem to use Rockwell for different disk comparisons

If anyone uses clutch Pro or other clutch setup software I think there is a listing in the program for the more popular disks

The reason for asking is I am currently developing a spreadsheat to map the torque capacity of my the varoius disks vs engine torque using adjustable plate load, level height and centrifugal assist curves to try and get a baseline for clutch lockup points

Any info out there ????

Old 03-26-2003, 10:10 AM

I would like to know also. I have run both the 5135 and the 5191 in my 63 catalina with a Titan single disk set up. There is a huge difference between the two materials. With the 5191 I had to put 1800 lbs static and 26 grams of weight on each of six levers. When I went to the 5135 material I reduced the static to 900 lbs. and cut the centrifical weights to 21 grams. The second pass I broke second gear in my Jerico. I now have 900 lbs static and 9 grams centrifical on each lever. I feel very little slip during the gear changes and some on the starting line. Dialing in a clutch is a difficulte process. A data recorded is a tool that can help a lot.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rompn63

Good info

I gained some initial info on the materials which showed around 0.220 for the 5191 and 0.66 for the 5135 aggressive compound but wondering if anyone had anything different

We currently run the 5135 but after putting these numbers into my program the numbers were as follows and we are going to change

5135 disk increase static by 100lb = 50lb/ft increase in torque capacity

5191 disk increase static by 100lb = 15lb/ft increase in torque capacity

So it seem that with the 5191 you could be off a little with your static stetting (up to a couple of turns) and not miss your lockup point by too much yet you would need a larger range of adjustment or estimate your static better to begin with to set your initial plate load.

With the 5135 the static adjustment would seem much more critical as a small increase in the already lowered plate load would shift the lockup point by a considerable amount making hitting the zone alot harder

With the centrifugal curves loaded the estimation of the static needed to slip and then lock up at a predetermined rpm should be a little easier to estimate

We are going to make a move to the 5191 disk with more initial plate load (hopefully my program will help estimate this closer to begin with) and make it a little easier to find the setup

Do you run fiction inserts in the PP and flywheel??

I have just got a hold of an aluminium pressure ring with sintered bronze insert for my pp and looking at a steel insert for the flywheel to save machining it regularly

I will pass on any info I find out over the next few days

Old 03-27-2003, 12:18 PM

Both pressure ring and flywheel have steel inserts that are attached with flat head screws.
I ran the 5191 material for quite a few years with very little wear to the pressure ring and flywheel. My only complaint was the amount of static and counterweight I needed. When I changed to longer stroke engine my rpm dropped and I started slipping the disc too much. Adding weight to the arms made the pedal pressure excessive. Adding more static pressure caused coil bind to the pressure springs. That is why I went to the 5135 material. The 5135 is real hard on the friction surfaces but I like the pedal pressure.
I"m thinking of trying a different facing material for one or both surfaces and going back to 5191 but I need to investigate my options.