Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default Steering Box Vs. Pump

I just installed a new P-Steering box as the old, while working properly, was leaking at the high pressure hose fitting. After the install the boost does not come at idle or low engine speed, which makes it hard to maneuver into the one stall garage, much less in traffic.

My belt tension to the p-steering pump is correct. Is there anything in the new box (valving, etc.) that could cause this or is it likely a sticking piston in the pump or dirt/dirty fluid?

I do not want to just replace the pump if I can take out the flow control nut on the pump, remove the spring and push on the piston to free it, then flush out the fluid.

Any experience or thoughts on this issue?

2016 Mustang GT - GT with the Performance Pack, beats my former 12 Boss around the track.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Possible air in the new box?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with Dmac, you may just need to get the air out.

To bleed the system, make sure the pump is full of fluid and turn the steering wheel from stop to stop a few times(engine running with wheels jacked up off the ground) Top off the fluid when you are done.

If you have not flushed out the old fluid, it would be good to do that also. It is easier if you have a helper to turn the steering wheel while doing this. Pull the return line off of the pump and plug the hole on the pump. Put the return line in a clear container to catch the oil that pumps out. Pour fluid into the pump while your helper turns the steering wheel from stop to stop(engine running, wheels off the ground). When the fluid coming out looks clean, stop the engine and reconnect the return hose. Bleed the system after flushing.

Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops for an extended period of time.