Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Default 1977 400 in a 1970 gto

I am in the process of rebuilding my 1977 Pontiac 400 I am wandering if it will bolt in my 1970 Gto and if so if anyone has any tips to rebuild it on a tight budget it has 1968 #48 heads for it

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Old 02-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i'm not sure the 1977 block has the bolt holes for the motor mounts on an early car. if it has all Five holes, you're fine. if it only has 3, you may need to do some modification there.

#48's bring big money. you might want to look at cheaper heads depending to bring more money to your budget.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the status of the 70 GTO's current power plant? Is it original? If so, why do you want to devalue it with a later (and possibly a '557' block) 400?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:49 AM

The original block had a hole blown in the wall the size of a half dollar. I pick up this engine for 200 bucks and figured what the hell if worse comes to worse I'll rebuild and sell and pick up a motor closer to the 1970 model year

Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

drew40g, Where are you from ? If you are near me I belive I have a couple 1970 400's one bare block and one complete engine. I will let either go for a very reasonable price.

Tim john---

Old 02-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Thanks but i am not able to buy a whole engine right now but i will keep you in mind

Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew40g View Post
The original block had a hole blown in the wall the size of a half dollar. I pick up this engine for 200 bucks and figured what the hell if worse comes to worse I'll rebuild and sell and pick up a motor closer to the 1970 model year

That's a very good reason!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 PM

My 70 GTO has a 76 block in it. The passenger's side has three holes and the driver's side has five. One of my motor mounts has a bracket on it because of this. I will PM you a picture later if you want.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You might want to check the 70-72 GTO section. I had the question a while back about the 455 motor mounts. The 455 engine mounts are apparently the 3 bolt mounts, and need the 455 specific frame mounts. If your current engine is an original 455, then you might be in luck and have no adaptability issues with bolting in a 77 block. If it's a 400, then it would have the 2 bolt motor mounts with the matching frame mounts.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=744447

Your only other issue would probably come down to accessory bolt on. Somebody else would have to chime in if 48 heads have the right bolt holes to fit the brackets. I think you will be good, but others would know more for sure.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 AM
Suspended

Drew , I hate to say this but if you don't have the money to buy a good rebuildable engine for your car, then your probably not going to have anywhere enough money to rebuild any engine for your car. I will guess here as I on;y have my costs to go on here. My cost to rebuild is very high as I only go the best I can when I rebuild the engines for any of my cars. But a cheap rebuild with the proper machine work is still going to cast somewhere around the $ 3000.00 mark. You might get off a little cheaper but only a couple hundred or so.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it will fit...no issues

Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
Drew , I hate to say this but if you don't have the money to buy a good rebuildable engine for your car, then your probably not going to have anywhere enough money to rebuild any engine for your car. I will guess here as I on;y have my costs to go on here. My cost to rebuild is very high as I only go the best I can when I rebuild the engines for any of my cars. But a cheap rebuild with the proper machine work is still going to cast somewhere around the $ 3000.00 mark. You might get off a little cheaper but only a couple hundred or so.
On a budget, it can be done if you have a little luck.

Re-ring kit, $250.
Summit cam kit, $120-ish?

It could really depend on how decent your starting pieces are. $400 could get your block bored. $650 gets a forged Fed Mogul piston/rebuild kit to go with fresh bore. Throw in some miscellaneous like above mentioned cam kit and mid-level timing set, and we are still less than $1500.

So many variables, tho. Honestly? If I had a 77 400 to build (in place of the current ventilated block) and the bores looked decent, I would consider doing the re-ring, timing chain, cam, and oil pump. See what flies. Keep the cam within limits of the stock valvetrain. I would rather spend a little to get the car driving than hold out to get the "ideal" setup. Ya gotta do what you can do when cash is tight. I've done a couple of motors that I threw together DIRT cheap, and then drove them problem free for between 20k-60k+ miles. I wouldn't do them that way now, but I did what I had to back when kids, family, house, etc. were eating up the car budget.

Having a broken GTO in the garage isn't much of a way to enjoy the hobby!