Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Here's some pictures....
That looks "exhausting" Bob! Sorry couldn't resist the chance for the pun.

Serious Q: Your system looks excellent, you've probably already posted & I missed it; is this a Stainless Steel exhaust pipe & muffs system?
- What will you do to the welded areas to keep them from rusting - something like a special "Eastwood" spray coating on the weld joints, or?

Last edited by Alvin; 08-03-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Auto Spell FUBAR
Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the Pypes SGF11 system. I purchased it from Summit Racing as they are offering free shipping and unlike the Pypes website you do not have to get a Pypes muffler. The mufflers I got were Dynomax Super Turbo's. Pictures from Summit are below.

On the TIG welds, properly done with the correct filler stick TIG welds should not rust.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Cool

Cool, "I'm not a welder but I've sen one on the TV!"*

*I noticed your welder, besides the pretty weld bead seems, must be pretty awesome to be trusted welding with your camel velour seat sitting within "a spatters" distance outside of the car.

Interior is sweet looking too! Did you have your steering wheel re-gold treated too, or is it the original! Our '79 Y84 is same camel tan wheel w gold spokes...faded...

Old 08-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Alvin - the steering wheel is all original and the condition is as good or better than NOS.

The cool thing with TIG welding is that there is no splatter. Regardless, I was happy to get all the interior parts back in the car last night and out of harms way (and out of my way).

Old 08-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went thru the wheel thing as my Formula came with Rally II originally. So, getting a matched set dated 15 " correct for the 72. Man, those are not cheap to ship and get restored, etc.

Then put rubber on and balance and install. With correct lugs and center pieces. 1k per wheel is not uncommon...

Then you're with people next to your cars with similar wheels and so on. We all have that same disease for different years.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great Bob! Wish my Y88 was at the shop like it is supposed to be.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 08-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Out with the old

Out with the old and in with the new....The wheels arrived and they have found a new home. While I would just rate them an 8 out of 10, they look much better than the old ones, and HFR has already flushed out the fact that I am extremely picky. The new tires, center caps and lug nuts help a lot as well. Now we just need to get the exhaust finished (correct head pipes arrived today), get the gas tank on, and then take it out for Burn Out Part II. I can't wait. The current plan is to drive it for a while and then this fall yank the engine, re-seal and re-paint it, clean under the hood, and maybe do a little engine tweaking. I'm looking forward to the "drive it for awhile" phase...

Here's some pictures.

There's nothing like a lift and bridge jacks

The old wheels

The new wheels - everything is clocked...

Old 08-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

VERY NICE!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's awesome!!!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Suspended

Wink

"Sexulant Y88" Bob! A literal "Chick Magnet" once again. ANOTHER Job Well Done Amigo.

Now about those upcoming Burnouts - Sointenly those will be performed with other than the "PolySteel Radios", yes?!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a detail missed. It looks incredible.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks great Bob! I myself just pulled the trigger on a set of repro polysteels. For what they cost, you're braver than I am sending the rears up in smoke!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Now about those upcoming Burnouts - Sointenly those will be performed with other than the "PolySteel Radios", yes?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W72-Bandit View Post
Looks great Bob! I myself just pulled the trigger on a set of repro polysteels. For what they cost, you're braver than I am sending the rears up in smoke!
Thanks guys. I'm not sure that bravery has much to do with it, but having a car like this and not doing a burnout is like dating the head cheerleader and not....well let's just say these cars deserve to be ridden hard every now and then. Most likely even with a regular dose of abuse and a semi regular rotation the tires will dry rot before they wear out.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 78 gold

The car looks awesome

Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Thanks guys. I'm not sure that bravery has much to do with it, but having a car like this and not doing a burnout is like dating the head cheerleader and not....well let's just say these cars deserve to be ridden hard every now and then. Most likely even with a regular dose of abuse and a semi regular rotation the tires will dry rot before they wear out.
Some guys are happy with holding her hand.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wheels/tires look GREAT....that's always the "icing" on the cake...and GOOD icing is ALWAYS better.

Quote: The front park lamp assemblies were loose, so we removed the center spoiler section to access them and remedy the problem. That went fine, both assemblies were missing the lower mounting nuts and the top nuts were loose:Quote.

FWIW.....Every unmolested Van Nuys built 78 I've ever touched/molested had loose front signal lights with missing lower nuts....

Hope GM recognized the employees cost saving work habits.......or perhaps there is 100,000 nos fasteners sitting in somebodys garage/basement.

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Some guys are happy with holding her hand.
"Sure, it could happen!" "I'll just hold your hand now, yess ma'am, sure I will. Honest Injun!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Wheels/tires look GREAT....that's always the "icing" on the cake...and GOOD icing is ALWAYS better.

Quote: The front park lamp assemblies were loose, so we removed the center spoiler section to access them and remedy the problem. That went fine, both assemblies were missing the lower mounting nuts and the top nuts were loose:Quote.

FWIW.....Every unmolested Van Nuys built 78 I've ever touched/molested had loose front signal lights with missing lower nuts....

Hope GM recognized the employees cost saving work habits.......or perhaps there is 100,000 nos fasteners sitting in somebodys garage/basement.
GR8 point! I thought the same when reading the OP, that has been my experience also...all of them are "loose as a goose" that I've owned or worked on.
Never seems to be an issue when going down the road or affecting the parking light bulb life or operation either. And - I don't know why...

Old 08-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the exhaust system is done. The correct headpipes arrived and MPD and Joey the Welder rolled in today and finished it off. It looks great, but I can't wait to get the gas tank in see how it sounds and what change it has made in terms of throttle response. Here's a few pictures starting with one of Joey taking full advantage of one of the period signs I have gathered.

Before

After

Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Need an inspection cover?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Need an inspection cover?

Nah, I've got one, but am too lazy to pull the starter to put it on when I am planning to pull the motor and tranny anyway before too long. Besides, this thing leaks so much oil at the rear main seal I think I am probably better just leaving it off.

In fact, with the floor pan looking so good and the new exhaust, I am beginning to wonder just how much I want to drive it before dealing with that issue. I hate to recoat the floor with "Pontiac rustproofing" and don't really want oil coked all over the new exhaust. This might be a one and done burn out with the new tires and exhaust...

There is a frame off restored 1971 TA for sale at RK Motors that caught my attention in this regard. Beautifully clean underside with oil spatter coked all over the exhaust and muffler. Pretty nice looking car with at least one wrong fender and a sky high price tag. Here's a couple exhaust shots.