Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi all,

Please take a look at the stance of my GTO below... I ordered the "stock" front and rear springs from APE.... "S327" - Front, and "S364" - rear... And this is what I got.. The front seems too high and the back too low?

I worry if I put the front springs in right, but I've looked them over multiple times (using a mirror to look up inside the frame) and everything appears ok....

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I was thinking about adding spacers to the back.... but should I buy new springs to bring the front down some? If so, which ones?

Thanks!
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fredsgto.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	10721  

Old 02-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi all,

Please take a look at the stance of my GTO below... I ordered the "stock" front and rear springs from APE.... "S327" - Front, and "S364" - rear... And this is what I got.. The front seems too high and the back too low?

I worry if I put the front springs in right, but I've looked them over multiple times (using a mirror to look up inside the frame) and everything appears ok....

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I was thinking about adding spacers to the back.... but should I buy new springs to bring the front down some? If so, which ones?

Thanks!
Fred

Old 02-06-2004, 04:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Install some Eibach springs and be done with it.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Senior Chief

wasn't that the style back then? to look like the car was launching? i've seen worse.

i too like the rake to go the other way, and i am a cheap b@stard, so i would chop 1 coil from the front, and put station wagon springs in the back.

i also like the way a chopped coil rides, as it has a stiffer rate, and lowers it about 2". some people dont like stiff springs tho'.

you could also bag the back, and set it wherever you wanted, whenever you want.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Senior Chief

BTW-your car is stunningly beautiful.

Old 02-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '69 is up on jackstands right now, but I'll post a picture soon with the new springs. When I compressed the front spring with the jack, I got the impression the front was going to be too high on mine too. I got the "standard" springs from PY. I think they are Moog.

What size tire do you have there?

Your car does look sharp. Nice to see some different colors. Mine is brown.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:13 PM

the stance looks like it's correct to me.

if you look at the rocker panels the car sits level, or close to it, with the ground.

nice ride btw.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I second what Mike said....I put new springs in my car last year...and it looks about the same. I completely agrre with the whole rocker trim theory....it is level to the ground...at least by sight.

Very nice car BTW!

69 GTO Clone - 350/350 with a 400 on the stand...
Someday it'll be done!!

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 02-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been my experience that new springs, especially front springs will settle a bit after a few weeks.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

The point to life isn't necessarilly the decimal.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 02-07-2004, 02:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks all for your comments...Maybe I'll wait and see if the stance grows on me.. Otherwise, I'll try some of your ideas.

Thanks again!

Old 02-07-2004, 05:43 PM

Nice car, is that color April Gold? I am getting ready to put new springs in my 68 that I purchased from PY, so I'll see how they look. But as mentioned by a couple of others the rocker to ground distance looks right. As I recall that is the stock look, front end appearing high.

"Smile, people will wonder what you are up to."

Old 02-07-2004, 06:27 PM

Nice car - it looks about right to me as the stock look appeared that the front was a bit higher. I'm going through the same thing now. Put new springs on the fron since I redid the whole front end and it sat way too high. So, had the shop cut the springs and it gave it a nice rake. One problem, I had headers put on at the same time and the fron end was too low so the headers scraped over speed bumps, etc. So, took out the front and bought new front AND rear springs from APE. It now looks about even. I'll post a pic as soon as I get it back from the shop. If the front doesn't come down a bit I'll probably put some air bags on the back to give it a beefier rake.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to answer a couple of questions:

1) The tires are 225 70 R14's...

2) The color is limelight green.

BTW, The springs have been in now for about 5 months.. so its probably sitting where its gonna sit.

Thanks again for all the info,
Fred