Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had my 87 Turbo T Buick Regal, a low buck hop up, was using the rear wheel cylinders off certain model S-10 pickups, they were a bigger bore/piston combo, on the rear brakes, it gave you more brake holding power with the rear wheels, to spool up more boost on launch. would this also help on regular braking or panic stops? would doing something like this help on our old A and F bodies? as far as regular street driving,? any part # that would retrofit our old pontiacs? A body station wagons/ big B bodies,maybe? opinions?

1966 Lemans, 3700Lbs, 406 ci, #96 Heads, Crane 467/494 cam, RPM Intake, Q-Jet, 11 inch Converter, 3:90 gears, 3 inch exhaust, Best ET 12.62@107 MPH 414ci shortblock coming soon!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had my 87 Turbo T Buick Regal, a low buck hop up, was using the rear wheel cylinders off certain model S-10 pickups, they were a bigger bore/piston combo, on the rear brakes, it gave you more brake holding power with the rear wheels, to spool up more boost on launch. would this also help on regular braking or panic stops? would doing something like this help on our old A and F bodies? as far as regular street driving,? any part # that would retrofit our old pontiacs? A body station wagons/ big B bodies,maybe? opinions?

1966 Lemans, 3700Lbs, 406 ci, #96 Heads, Crane 467/494 cam, RPM Intake, Q-Jet, 11 inch Converter, 3:90 gears, 3 inch exhaust, Best ET 12.62@107 MPH 414ci shortblock coming soon!
Old 01-29-2004, 05:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

larger wheel cylinders will give you more force at the brake shoes.IT will also mean you will have to move the brake pedal slightly more to accomidate the extra fluid needed. With a wheel cylinder I doubt this is a problem. When using larger front caliupers, it makes people discribe it as a "muchy" pedal. That is why a larger MC that can move more fluid is used. Pressure is dirrected controlled by the ratio of the area of the MC piston to the area of the wheel cylinder piston. By using a larger piston you are stepping up the mechanical advantage. But, you must supply more travel at the MC using the same size MC as before. Confused? So yes it will increase pressure at the expense of travel. Remember, you don't want one wheel to lock up before the other ( front to back ). You want to to lock up at the same time.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Old 01-30-2004, 01:00 PM

marty, if you're going to do this you'll need to upgrade the master cyl also.

by guessing, i'd say the best bet would be an a-body wagon unit if you're thinking of doing this on the lemans.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-31-2004, 12:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

According to my 1970 Chilton's manual, all A&F
bodies from '64 to '70 used the same size wheel
cylinders, station wagons or otherwise.
(1-1/8 front, 7/8 rear)

B-bodies from '65 to '70 used wheel cylinders with
1/16 larger bores, (1-3/16 front, 15/16 rear)
but I'm not sure if they will interchange.

All used a 1 inch master cylinder bore.