73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 06-30-2005, 09:08 PM

First off id like to say im surprised this many people like these cars, i liked them since my brother had one when i was a little kid... well anyway.

My car has a 1968 400 with 1973 correct 4x heads... but i do not know what year the tranny is and it brings up a question as my speedometer cable burnt from being next to the headers and the clip is broken where it attaches to the transmisson( was told by former owner) and i ask if the clip is broken could it be the cause of the tranny fluid leak i have?

also, the fuel gauge doesnt work and he said its the ground. i found the ground attached to the the license plate bracket and i fished it up into the trunk and attached it to the trunk striker still no go... other wise the car is in pretty good shape. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:39 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SptCoupe73:
First off id like to say im surprised this many people like these cars, i liked them since my brother had one when i was a little kid... well anyway.

My car has a 1968 400 with 1973 correct 4x heads... but i do not know what year the tranny is and it brings up a question as my speedometer cable burnt from being next to the headers and the clip is broken where it attaches to the transmisson( was told by former owner) and i ask if the clip is broken could it be the cause of the tranny fluid leak i have?

also, the fuel gauge doesnt work and he said its the ground. i found the ground attached to the the license plate bracket and i fished it up into the trunk and attached it to the trunk striker still no go... other wise the car is in pretty good shape. any help will be greatly appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes the broken speedo clip will cause a leak.

you may have to drop the tank and check the ground where it attaches to the sender itself.

you can check the dash unit and wiring by grounding and opening the circuit that runs from the tank unit to the dash.

the service manual has ohm readings for settings on the guage to check accuracy.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome SptCoupe - Im always surprised by how many people loved these cars too...but Im more surprised by how much we all have in common when we talk about these boats! I too have a 68 400 in mine, and its currently treating me very well. I know what you mean by the dang speedo cable though - havent run one in years because of the stupid headers. My brother was also my source of inspiration on the potential of these cars. My Grandfather bought the LeMans Im driving now new, but my bro was the one to show me how cool they were!

Any way - Mikes answers were right on target. I just wanted to say welcome aboard.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 07-02-2005, 10:28 AM

Thanks alot guys, im gonna go play around with the ground now, also, for the speedometer cable i found 2 places that sell it one is ames and the other is some generic auto parts website which sells it for under $10 and ames who has it for nearly $30... but theres all different listings for sizes does anyone know what the part number is? also today im gonna go look at a 73 GTO that is abandoned in a field up by my parents country house...

Old 07-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Many people do this, but dont make the mistake of not checking Performance Years for these parts, 73. A lot of guys here forget they sell Pontiac parts!

As far as the speedo cable goes, I couldnt get a part number..the ends are so different from year to year, tranny to tranny that Im not sure its an easy number to get a hold of. (although I bet GM might still be able to tell ya). I had to match up my ends with the ones in the Napa catalog to get the one I think will work.

You might try checking with the the A-Body site, to see what they know. (http://www.abodysite.com).

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 07-05-2005, 07:11 PM

I got one from A&A for $12 its about 95% installed now, the one strap thing onthe firewall is giving me hell, and a thunderstorm forced me to stop... but it does work, thanks for the help though, next i have to tackle the fuel gauge and the exahust leak and itll be ready really start driving!