73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 11-04-2004, 12:51 PM

Hello All, just joined the site and it is great lots of info. I am in the research/planning stage of my 73 GA 455 resto wanting to do as much as I can myself. Could someone shed some light on replacing window felt/weatherstripping on the outside of the doors,mine are shot and getting alot of water in the doors. Any photo's or books showing how to remove? And is there a list of year models showing body/engine and
interior parts interchangeabilty? I am probaly only going to need a hood and nose assembly for body parts.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:51 PM

Hello All, just joined the site and it is great lots of info. I am in the research/planning stage of my 73 GA 455 resto wanting to do as much as I can myself. Could someone shed some light on replacing window felt/weatherstripping on the outside of the doors,mine are shot and getting alot of water in the doors. Any photo's or books showing how to remove? And is there a list of year models showing body/engine and
interior parts interchangeabilty? I am probaly only going to need a hood and nose assembly for body parts.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:06 PM

Welcome ! Congrats on your Poncho ownership.Someone will be along to answer your question soon I'm sure.Unfortunately I'm not sure about your weather strip!But welcome and good luck with your car!

Old 11-04-2004, 05:54 PM

the nose is repro'd by a company called " in design" they aren't cheap but are made of fiberglass so they'll hold up better than the oems which are impossible to find.

the hood is not repro'd but if you look around they're out there.

the seals are replaced by rolling the windows down and either popping out the retaining clips or removing screws to release the mldg.

the seals around the top of the doors are glued into a track that screws to the body.

if you can locate a body manual from gm this will show you how it's done. you should also look into getting a service manual for the car if you plan on doing some work yourself.

these are available from the sponsor of these boards on cd or in paper depending on the yr of the car.

another couple of sites to look for parts on is a-body.com and the grandam registry they don't get as much traffic as p/y but those guys are fanatics for the 73-7 cars.

73's are unique in a lot of ways.

enjoy the car, they're nice rides that are under appreciated.

i'm going to copy this to the 73-7 abody forum so others can chime in also that don't frequent the body shop.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

73GA - Welcome. Nice ride!

I dont have anything to add to what Mike said...he nailed everything. One small addition however, check out http://www.abodysite.com/ in addition to the other sites... We are fanatics!

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread
Old 11-07-2004, 05:23 PM

Thanks guys.This was my first car I bought it in 1977 and drove it until ~84 parked it in my parents barn until 97, and its been @ my house sense setting outside. I would start it every so often and let it run. I thinking of trying to get it restored to a good fun drivable car not necessarily a show car.

Old 11-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a soft spot for 73-77 A-bodies in my heart too, particularly the 73's. The first car I ever owned was a '73 Luxury LeMans.

I'd suggest joining POCI. The monthly newsletter "Smoke Signals" is a wealth of information and classified for parts.

Old 12-27-2004, 05:21 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 73LeMans:
I dont have anything to add to what Mike said...he nailed everything. One small addition however, check out http://www.abodysite.com/ in addition to the other sites... We are fanatics! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the link. In March I will be picking me up a 73 GA and I have a lot to learn

Old 01-05-2005, 10:24 AM

I have a hood that I might want to sell if you are still looking for one.
It is the Ram Air hood, or also known as a NACA hood I beleive.
squire john

1973 Grand Prix
1973 project X
1991 Sunbird V6 convertible (wifes)