Industry Stuff new repro's, updates, other info.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:08 AM
Suspended

If you run a wire directly to the blower from a battery charger to the blower positive & one to the case of the blower it will almost pull out of your hand & run as much faster then it does when it's run through the resistor in the heater box. It's been awile but I've had this same discusion with some guys on line about 10-15 years ago. I'm not saying you should do that , as far as adding another no load terminal to your resistor block because it may burn them out earilie, but they WILL RUN FASTER. It is a fact of if you have nothing in the path of electricty with any resistance factor it the electricty will free flow, thus if you have the free flow of electricty ALL the volt &amps will go to what ever item it is wired to delivering full power. So if it's rated for 12 volts & you are able to get 13.5 to it , then it ,, well it will turn faster & then just the oppisite when resistors are added.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

5 and a half years since my first post. Is there a product out yet? a motor? or a cage?
There HAS to be a way to make these systems work better. They are plenty cold with R12 , they just do not blow hard enough. I also have sealed up everything tight too, it does make it better but, still not as hard as I would like.
The 1969 and older GTOs/tempests also have a crappy center deflector duct that only goes up and down and not left and right. Pontiac finally made that better by 1970. You can fit the 70-2 deflector into a 69 dash. If I had a 69 or older mid size with fact a/c, that would be my priority.

Still, there is a big market out there for some improvement in moving more air through a fact system. Pontiacs, Buicks, chevs, Olds and more. Think of how many could be sold?
Some smart person really needs to work on this and they would deserve to prosper from it.

I am in line to buy.

If there ends up a good home made way to adapt something from another car, please share.

thank you all for the replies.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 07-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Default more air volume

I too would vote for this item. Being in Texas, this would be a great item. Count me in!

Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 PM

I'd go for one too.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at the air moved by a say 08 Sierra blower modify it to fit and you golden

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going to resurrect this thread here. I have said this for years. I have an underdash add on AC unit in my '66 Tempest Custom wagon that will blow a hat off if you are wearing one. It even helps the heater function as the heater outlets are in the floor wher it is mounted near. It actually has one motor with two blower wheels. If such a hard blowing blower could be made that would be a bolt in (perhaps with an extra relay or something)(I could understand that) I would buy it. I dont need it for my Pontiac as I have the aftermarket unit, but It would be great for my Oldsmobile, that has a very good functioning factory AC, but just doesnt blow hard enough IMO. A good freind of mine would buy one for his '70 GTO as well.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

just thinkn on this my self, i wonder if you hooked one the boost a pump voltage regulators, they sell to increase elec pump volume on late model fi, bet it would work

Old 12-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GND path for blower to block is greatly helped by the copper braid on back of Pass-head-to-firewall. Even nicer when the blower motor case gets a copper path to that braid-screw on the firewall. I did that and am a happy guy now.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The engine is out of my gp now and the blower is easily accessible and needs replaced. I will, in time, test a couple different blowers from different applications and report back. If what rexs73gto is saying is correct with the blower blowing harder right off the battery, a 12V relay fired by the hi setting of the heater switch would send alternator voltage to the blower. I will keep you posted.
Keep in mind air out can only equal air in so if the intake to the blower will only allow 100cfm in you wont get more than 100 cfm out.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Go Darkside...I run my 61 Catalina vert, factory AC, on 2 fan speed, and no more than half on the temp. I'm a Florida boy and don't like it hot. If I make it any cooler my wife puts on a jacket and directs the vents away from her. This AC blows high 30's low 40's except on a 95 degree day, then it blows mid 40's. Try using Duracool 12A instead of 134. It will really lower your pressures and is much cheaper. Compatible with any oil, but I use their oil. Just do it right the first time. DON"T use stop-leak or it will clog your evaporator. I have a stock system with a 1962 6 cyl compressor. Will put my 53 year old 5 cyl comp back on in a couple months. Back seat passengers never complain about being hot.