Industry Stuff new repro's, updates, other info.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to Summit on my lunch break, took a cap with me and the WV-62 series wheels don't work any better. I'm glad I did not have them shipped at least.
I'm going to be happy with my GM produced 6" wheels for now. I know you guys say the tape works fine but I don't want to spend $200 for another .5~1 inch of tread width and have to put tape on to get them to work as well as a pair of wheels I already have.
It would be different if I did not already have a set that work and look fine. Just wanted a little more width!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0121.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	441869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0120.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	441871  

Last edited by Greg Reid; 12-02-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool agreed

I friend gave me a set of 15x6 rally II's for my 68 when I upgraded to disc brakes.
The 14x6 were too close to calipers for my comfort.

yes I would have preferred 15x7's but would rather have a GOOD GM rim then
a repo. And the 15x6's were free!!!

Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 12-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine were nearly free too. I pulled them and the Coopers off of my son's '78 Bonneville when I sold it.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:16 PM
PY VIP

I sdee your point about GM wheels however, when we did the original repro ralley Is they were USA made.

ALso SFI tested something like 10,000 revolutions as we did not want any issues and we never had any issues...once in awhile I got a wheel that was not drilled for the valve stem hole..

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-03-2016, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I'm not sticking with my GM wheels just because they are GM...if the repops I tried had worked well, I would have been fine with them.
By the way Dennis, I'm pretty sure that I have two of your Rally Is on my '66 and two originals. It's been a few years since I've fooled with them but I recall two of the centers attaching to the wheel differently than the other two and what you said about the adapters rings a bell.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I went to Summit on my lunch break, took a cap with me and the WV-62 series wheels don't work any better. I'm glad I did not have them shipped at least.
I'm going to be happy with my GM produced 6" wheels for now. I know you guys say the tape works fine but I don't want to spend $200 for another .5~1 inch of tread width and have to put tape on to get them to work as well as a pair of wheels I already have.
It would be different if I did not already have a set that work and look fine. Just wanted a little more width!

Greg, are you using the original or repop Poverty caps? The reason I ask is that I bought 2 wheels from Summit for my 65 (I already had 2 GM wheels) and the set of NOS caps that I had worked fine on both sets of wheels. The original GM wheels are on the front on my 65 and the ones I bought from Summit are on the back. I do know that when I was looking them up to purchase them that there were 2 different wheels that Summit sold. Let me know and I'll look and try to find my old invoice and see exactly what I have.

Jerry

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 12-03-2016, 11:49 PM
PY VIP

Quote:
Well, I'm not sticking with my GM wheels just because they are GM...if the repops I tried had worked well, I would have been fine with them.
By the way Dennis, I'm pretty sure that I have two of your Rally Is on my '66 and two originals. It's been a few years since I've fooled with them but I recall two of the centers attaching to the wheel differently than the other two and what you said about the adapters rings a bell.
The adopter idea was the ones we had made. that means they are 20 plus years old or older. can't member if their is a date code on them....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Greg, are you using the original or repop Poverty caps? The reason I ask is that I bought 2 wheels from Summit for my 65 (I already had 2 GM wheels) and the set of NOS caps that I had worked fine on both sets of wheels. The original GM wheels are on the front on my 65 and the ones I bought from Summit are on the back. I do know that when I was looking them up to purchase them that there were 2 different wheels that Summit sold. Let me know and I'll look and try to find my old invoice and see exactly what I have.

Jerry
I'm using original caps Jerry. It occurred to me that repop caps may fit the repop rims better...I'm not sure but I don't plan to buy any repop caps just to find out as I have six originals now. If you do come up with an alternate I would check that out on my next trip over that way. Traffic is a real PAIN over there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis kirban View Post
The adopter idea was the ones we had made. that means they are 20 plus years old or older. can't member if their is a date code on them....

denniskirban@yahoo.com
No doubt...I bought the four in well used condition 6 or 7 years ago.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 12-04-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I can remember to tomorrow I will check and see exactly which wheels I bought and post back. I do remember there were two distinct styles and I don't remember which I bought. But they do fit my caps fine.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the one I tried- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...4044/overview/

Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I went thru all my invoices and the one I couldn't find was the one where I bought the wheels! But I definitely remember having 2 choices at the time (back in 2013). Now today I can only find the one you are referring to.

Here's a just a couple of thoughts: Practically every used poverty cap I've ever seen has been 'split' on the edge from being forced on at some point. Some more than others. Any split, however minor, would cause them to loosen up. Also, those wheels came in primer. The added paint will build up enough to tighten up the caps just a little. That could be why mine works good with the NOS caps that I have.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The last complete set of original early 15x7 4 3/4 bp steel wheels I had came off a '73 GTO. Have been watching for an earlier dated set, for a '72...of course, tougher to find. Greg, I'd watch for '73-76 A body or GP for a pair of 15x7 steelies.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry, they did suggest painting the caps and it helped a bit but I could still pop it off with my fingernail. As for the splits, one out of my 6 has the split so I know what you mean but the four I'm running are in pretty good shape.

Roger, that's good information. I was wondering what cars would have come with 7" steel wheels.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Happened across this in another thread...about mufflers of all things.. I wonder if they are any better? Says that they are actual restored originals.
http://classicchambered.com/classic/wheels.html

Old 12-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Happened across this in another thread...about mufflers of all things.. I wonder if they are any better? Says that they are actual restored originals.
http://classicchambered.com/classic/wheels.html
If i were you, i would mail them one of your center caps and ask them to install it and see if it is a tight fit.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's an idea. I'm about to let it rest for a while tho to tell the truth.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wondering if you ever got your full money back from them?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I got the full amount but I did lose $30 in the end for shipping them back.
Actually, I'm still not believing GM steel wheels are going for $100. I'm just going to take my time and I'm pretty sure I can find a couple eventually either from somebody I know or a local salvage yard that gets old cars in.