Old 02-01-2024, 01:03 PM

Default Body mount kits?

Hey gang I'm looking for your thoughts on body mount kits. I have an all original low miles '74 SD. Sub frame is powdered and ready for re-installation. Would you go with the original style rubber mounts or up grade to a polygraphite style?

Thx

Old 02-02-2024, 02:26 PM

Beuller, Beuller, Beuller...anyone?

Old 02-02-2024, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Last year, I bought the relatively newly released reproduction rubber subframe bushings from Ames for my '72 T/A. Not ready for them yet, but am making some headway. '70-74 ought to be the same, would have to ck Ames printed catelogue.

What was avail in rubber for many years before the new early 2nd Gen reproductions became avail was fairly generic Camaro/Bird/Nova bushing sets, in two different cheap designs, they are what they are.

Piecemeal picked up a set if NOS bushings for my '79 4spd project, & fortunately had the originals out of my '80 from when in the mid 80's, I went to Herb alum bushings coated in PlastiDip. Am also not a fan of the polyurethane subframe bushings from the NJ bunch. Years ago, pulled out one set of polys & helped another friend pull out the same & properly align the subframe in his '77. Both poly sets after being installed, contributed to squeeking noise coming from under these WS6 T/A's when the cars were simply being pulled up into a decent incline into the gas station & home driveways.

Old 02-02-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Last year, I bought the relatively newly released reproduction rubber subframe bushings from Ames for my '72 T/A. Not ready for them yet, but am making some headway. '70-74 ought to be the same, would have to ck Ames printed catelogue.

What was avail in rubber for many years before the new early 2nd Gen reproductions became avail was fairly generic Camaro/Bird/Nova bushing sets, in two different cheap designs, they are what they are.

Piecemeal picked up a set if NOS bushings for my '79 4spd project, & fortunately had the originals out of my '80 from when in the mid 80's, I went to Herb alum bushings coated in PlastiDip. Am also not a fan of the polyurethane subframe bushings from the NJ bunch. Years ago, pulled out one set of polys & helped another friend pull out the same & properly align the subframe in his '77. Both poly sets after being installed, contributed to squeeking noise coming from under these WS6 T/A's when the cars were simply being pulled up into a decent incline into the gas station & home driveways.
Many thx! Was leaning towards traditional rubber so good to hear!

Old 02-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Vote for the poly body bushings here... have them in 3 different 2nd gen cars & never ever have any "squeaking" from them. If they are installed right with the supplied hardware & washers and bolts torqued properly there should not be any movement in those locations to cause squeaking. The subframe aligns properly too, never had an issue with that.

Have had them in my 78 WS6 for 15 years now, an 81 WS6 for 13 years & a 500+hp 72 firebird with subframe connectors that has lots of low 11sec dragstrip time & hard street miles.... no squeaking in any driving situations including inclined driveways or onto to trailers etc. Being they are considered solid bushings they do help reduce body flex somewhat & wont deteriorate & fall apart like the rubber ones. But of course real solid bushings are best but usually reserved for racing applications.

Now for moving suspension parts the poly can squeak, especially if not lubed properly with the special grease, i have them in the A-arms of my 78 that do have a minor squeak after all these years, but a quick shot of silicone spray will stop it for a couple years & even when it squeaks you cant reallly here it in the car over the engine noise, just when you bounce the car from outside.

Either body bushing will work, but in my experience & friends that use them, they dont squeak when installed & tightened right.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Vote for the poly body bushings here... have them in 3 different 2nd gen cars & never ever have any "squeaking" from them. If they are installed right with the supplied hardware & washers and bolts torqued properly there should not be any movement in those locations to cause squeaking. The subframe aligns properly too, never had an issue with that.

Have had them in my 78 WS6 for 15 years now, an 81 WS6 for 13 years & a 500+hp 72 firebird with subframe connectors that has lots of low 11sec dragstrip time & hard street miles.... no squeaking in any driving situations including inclined driveways or onto to trailers etc. Being they are considered solid bushings they do help reduce body flex somewhat & wont deteriorate & fall apart like the rubber ones. But of course real solid bushings are best but usually reserved for racing applications.

Now for moving suspension parts the poly can squeak, especially if not lubed properly with the special grease, i have them in the A-arms of my 78 that do have a minor squeak after all these years, but a quick shot of silicone spray will stop it for a couple years & even when it squeaks you cant reallly here it in the car over the engine noise, just when you bounce the car from outside.

Either body bushing will work, but in my experience & friends that use them, they dont squeak when installed & tightened right.
Great info!! I was told the Polygraphite bushings did not squeak but the Polyurethane tend to make noise. Nice to hear from someone that has had them in place for a while.
Thx for the response!

Old 02-05-2024, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah the graphite ones are supposed to be better for moving suspension parts but still need the super thick grease, body mounts should not squeak since they dont move.

I use energy suspension brand on the body mounts, very happy with them.

Old 02-05-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Yeah the graphite ones are supposed to be better for moving suspension parts but still need the super thick grease, body mounts should not squeak since they dont move.

I use energy suspension brand on the body mounts, very happy with them.
Great, Thx again!

Old 02-05-2024, 10:39 PM

The ES Nova bushings were years ago, I had a set as well, long since replaced.

This was the poly sets with wrong labelling, not rubber.