Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM

Default 1962 Fiberglass Parts

Since I joined this site several days ago I've been going through this thread ... made it to page 67 so far ... and have picked up a lot of info. I came across fiberglass fenders ... hoods ... etc ... that are made for 62's and since I need my fenders repaired I'm weighing the option of just going fiberglass. The price seems quite reasonable ... $350 a set from Crites. What I'm wondering is are these items stout enough to be used on a daily driver or are they race only stuff?
Anybody have any thoughts or experience that they care to share?
Thanks
TS

Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sincere WELCOME, TS! Post a pic or several of your car when you can.

I too would like to get first-hand feedback on the Crites wares... same as what the Heck Brothers were producing in the '90s?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had a VFN fiberglass hood on my 65 Catalina for a few years now. Drive it on the street and beat on it at the strip. Hood has held up quite well, looks like the day we put it on.
My son recently made a fiberglass front bumper for the Cat and it too is holding up well.
I wouldn't expect the fit and finish to be up to metal so the f-glass may take some massaging.
You can ask Crites how many layers of glass and resin plies that they use. I consider a minimum of three necessary for the street.
Good luck and I hope you get a lot of replies.
Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://critesperformanceparts.com/ For those that are interested here is a link to the Crites site. They have a money back guarantee so it might be worth a try.
You'd not only be taking a LOT of weight off the car but f-glass never rusts and is fairly easy to repair your self.
If they had anything for a 65 big car I'd be ordering it !!

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple earlier threads about the Crites parts:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=611713
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=611237
They are the parts that the Heck brothers originally built, Crites bought the molds from them several years ago.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Default Pic

I posted a pic in the pictures thread but will post another one here. Original image is too big for an avatar. Thanks for the input so far.
TS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bon 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	300686  

Old 10-18-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
I've had a VFN fiberglass hood on my 65 Catalina for a few years now. Drive it on the street and beat on it at the strip. Hood has held up quite well, looks like the day we put it on.
My son recently made a fiberglass front bumper for the Cat and it too is holding up well.
I wouldn't expect the fit and finish to be up to metal so the f-glass may take some massaging.
You can ask Crites how many layers of glass and resin plies that they use. I consider a minimum of three necessary for the street.
Good luck and I hope you get a lot of replies.
Jim
Is your hood bolt on or lift off? If it's bolt on do you use light weight springs or just prop it up when open?
Thanks
TS

Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hood is bolt-on. Underside of hood looks exactly like stock. Yes, I used light weight springs and hood stays open on its own without a problem.

Jim

Old 10-19-2012, 12:12 AM

I have the inner,outer fenders and bolt on hood from Crites(PJ Heck molds)on my 62 Catalina and I think they are good.My brother-in-law gave them a thumbs up,he is a body man and he thought the hood was excellent and drivers fender needed a little work,but not much.I replaced my parts for weight savings,I think about 170 lbs.I have had them on for about 2 years and I will probably put the steel back on come Spring,I think I've gone as fast as I am going to go with out changing more things that will make it less cruiser friendly.Look around for a good body man or give Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org a shout he might have good ones.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddie View Post
I have the inner,outer fenders and bolt on hood from Crites(PJ Heck molds)on my 62 Catalina and I think they are good.My brother-in-law gave them a thumbs up,he is a body man and he thought the hood was excellent and drivers fender needed a little work,but not much.I replaced my parts for weight savings,I think about 170 lbs.I have had them on for about 2 years and I will probably put the steel back on come Spring,I think I've gone as fast as I am going to go with out changing more things that will make it less cruiser friendly.Look around for a good body man or give Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org a shout he might have good ones.
What are you planning to do with them after you've taken them off?
TS

Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TS, this is where you should send huddie a Private Message (look at the upper right corner of the page by the orange Firebird).

Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Going to keep them,maybe my grandson will want to go faster when I'm.... done.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
TS, this is where you should send huddie a Private Message (look at the upper right corner of the page by the orange Firebird).
I'll keep that in mind next time.
TS

Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Crites parts on one of my 62's. Very nice!!! Be aware that they have a 2 different versions. One for racing and one for street use. I have steet use parts and they are very light/well made. My hood is VFN and is a nice part but will require some significant block sanding to get straight (just haven't got around to it).

Old 10-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
I have Crites parts on one of my 62's. Very nice!!! Be aware that they have a 2 different versions. One for racing and one for street use. I have steet use parts and they are very light/well made. My hood is VFN and is a nice part but will require some significant block sanding to get straight (just haven't got around to it).
Thanks for the tips.
TS