Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-19-2023, 10:18 AM

Default best thread sealant

what is the best thread sealant for the fittings when installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Old 11-19-2023, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You should not need anything since it’s pipe thread, but good old Teflon tape like plumbers use works as long as you know which way to wind it and use no more then 2 wraps..

Either way just don’t make the sender too tight in the oil filter adapter since that has been known to crack them in that area.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 11:01 AM
Suspended

And you still have to make sure it can ground properly or it won't work.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:09 AM

I'm talking mechanical oil pressure gauge not electrical. sorry about that.

The Following User Says Thank You to bob d For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what I use here when working with NPT fittings, whether it be for the house or automotive. Been using it at least 30 years now and tossed out all the teflon tape once I discovered it. I just used some the other day to install a new hot water plate exchanger for the boiler. Never had a single leak since switching to it.......:

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd add here that a few years ago my brother who does HVAC, in floor heating, etc was complaining about the poor quality of NPT pipe, fittings, etc and was having leaks on occassion and having to re-thread fittings and pipe due to poor sealing qualities. He was using teflon tape and not always able to get things to seal up which is very frustrating on a big job when you are all done and do your pressure test. I bought him a tub and he stopped using teflon tape and hasn't had any issues since the switch.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
This is what I use here when working with NPT fittings, whether it be for the house or automotive. Been using it at least 30 years now and tossed out all the teflon tape once I discovered it. I just used some the other day to install a new hot water plate exchanger for the boiler. Never had a single leak since switching to it.......:

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd add here that a few years ago my brother who does HVAC, in floor heating, etc was complaining about the poor quality of NPT pipe, fittings, etc and was having leaks on occassion and having to re-thread fittings and pipe due to poor sealing qualities. He was using teflon tape and not always able to get things to seal up which is very frustrating on a big job when you are all done and do your pressure test. I bought him a tub and he stopped using teflon tape and hasn't had any issues since the switch.....
That same sealant Cliff mentioned also works great on head bolts that pass into the water jackets like all 34 of them on a small block Chevy. Their genius engineers thought that was a good idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another sealer that works awesome on hydraulic lines and brake lines. I just did some brake fittings in Wilwood calipers and worked great. 1/8-27 NPT fittings. Very expensive though.

https://www.permatex.com/products/th...=936&radius=10

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 11-19-2023, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Another sealer that works awesome on hydraulic lines and brake lines. I just did some brake fittings in Wilwood calipers and worked great. 1/8-27 NPT fittings. Very expensive though.

https://www.permatex.com/products/th...=936&radius=10
^^^ I have not tried this stuff, but I am curious.

Thread tape has NO place on an engine. None. Yes, it can "work". It can seal pipe threads. Problem is, it's a shredding mess when you eventually remove whatever it was you sealed with it, and then the little pieces and strings of the stuff get inside the oiling, fuel, or coolant system and cause problems. Used on certain home applications--the natural gas piping of a furnace or water heater, that stay in place and aren't disassembled for decades, maybe.

The "Teflon" stuff recommended by Cliff can be acceptable. Clearly, he likes it. I tend to trust Cliff, he's smarter than the average bear. But my actual experience over thirty years is different from his on this. I have used it to seal steel-shim head gaskets, and that's about the only use I have for it any more.

Sealing tapered pipe thread, or sealing straight threads like headbolts, I leave to Permatex/Loctite "PST" (Pipe Sealer with Teflon/PTFE) anaerobic sealers which "cure/harden" in the absence of air and the presence of "active" metal such as iron, steel, brass (not aluminum.) If used on aluminum or other non-"active" metals, it'd be best to spray the aluminum with Loctite/Permatex "activator" before assembly.

There are several products in this group, the easiest to source is "592". I've told the story before, about the company I worked for switching from an anaerobic sealer to the brush-top "Teflon" sealer, and then confiscating all the brush-top tubs about a week later because leakage problems went out-of-sight. The anaerobic stuff is all I'll use for thread sealing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KKTH2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited by Schurkey; 11-19-2023 at 01:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 03:09 PM

592 Is great stuff!
I have been using it for 27 years for oil ,fuel, vacuum, (Very DEEP vacuum) argon and nitrogen.
I always trust what Cliff says and know of other peolpe that use what he sugest with no problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtokid1968 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i love this stuff, threadlocker and a sealant together:

https://www.permatex.com/products/th...ompound-35-ml/

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2023, 03:44 PM

I agree, Teflon tape should NOT be used. The reasons, as mentioned, it shreds and who wants that in their engine. I spent 36 yrs. in the HVAC/Plbg industry and sealant mfgs. showed us how we were incorrectly applying sealants. No sealant on the first 2 threads, read the label. Sealants, especially Teflon, are also an excellent lubricant which can lead to over tightening. Malleable pipe and fittings will stretch where aluminum, oil filter adapter (see above), and cast iron will crack!
Ck. ftg. mfgs. for recommendations especially those with a torque spec.

Old 11-19-2023, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think its being over complicated. Its a little 1/8" pipe oil pressure line.
Its pipe thread and you need some sealant, never dry. Even if its steel to brass, if you want it to leak, put it together dry.
When I was young at a job the owners son told me its not required with steel to brass on a hydraulic pipe fitting. So I argued with him and he kinda wanted to fire me. But it leaked, I knew better. My dad was a heavy equipment mechanic with a shop truck and I watched him a lot.
The OP can use pretty much whatever thread sealant he wants. Even good ole Pematex #2 will work fine.
I would not use teflon tape anywhere in a vehicle. Unless you want a little piece of that tape getting stuck in your check-ball.
Any of the Permatex thread sealant will work fine, its low pressure anyway. Laco Slic- Tight is good stuff. Rectorseal will work but its a little thin.
I like Gasolia thread sealant, its nice and thick.
About the only time I use the tape is when I have a issue at work where the threads are less than ideal and I need something to take up space.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the Permatex #14 great stuff!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 11-19-2023, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hylomar is also a good thread sealer

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-20-2023, 10:48 AM

Default thread sealant

Thanks for the replys. seems like I have a lot of good choices to pick from.

Old 11-20-2023, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Count me among those who won't use teflon tape. I've had 100% success with Loctite 567 pipe sealant over a lot of years. The stuff Cliff recommended is probably equally as good.

I've used it on steel, aluminum, brass, PVC, stainless steel. Used it on hot and cold water, gasoline, oil, nitromethane, methanol and compressed air. It dries but is still pliable and comes apart with no problem.

I've bought it at Grainger and Amazon.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2023, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My first Holley rebuild I used teflon tape on the fuel pump. A piece ended up stuck in a needle and seat. Never again, I want something that if a tiny bit gets past the threads it has a chance of mixing-making it through the system and not just getting stuck somewhere and causing a problem.
Again, pretty much anything will work for what the OP is doing. Most car guys have some Permatex in their toolbox. #1, #2 and Aviation and all of them say they work on thread fittings.
One sad thing though, Amazon shows CHINA as the country of origin for Permatex.
What is the world coming to when Permatex is made over there, shame.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Only gripe I have with the Permatex thread sealant is it gets really thick after a few months. Anyone know of a thinning solution? I tried mineral spirits and the result was a total failure with globules of white sealant floating in the mineral spirits. The thicker sealant still works for larger household pipes but trying to spread it on a 1/8" pipe plug gets interesting.

A surprising winner for thread sealant is Gasgacinch. Was at the track with just that to use and it worked great.

Old 11-21-2023, 03:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You thin the white Permatex with acetone. But all the brush top cans, every one, Permatex, Slic Tight, Rectorseal, Gasolia get thick with age.
Gasgacinch is a contact cement and they just dry up with age. Seen many a can of CAT Cement, the green stuff dried solid.
The stuff that comes in the little tubes seem to last, they do not get exposed to much air.
Tonight at the mill I had a 2" pipe cap that gave me trouble. Its on a spray booth for treating wood with a anti mold liquid as it goes through a planer. You have to clean this pipe once a month and the threads on the 2" pipe/cap get jacked up. It leaked with just teflon tape. Tried tightening it to the max, leaked.
Rectorseal with teflon tape on top of it fixed the leak.

Old 11-21-2023, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Count me among those who won't use teflon tape. I've had 100% success with Loctite 567 pipe sealant over a lot of years. The stuff Cliff recommended is probably equally as good.

I've used it on steel, aluminum, brass, PVC, stainless steel. Used it on hot and cold water, gasoline, oil, nitromethane, methanol and compressed air. It dries but is still pliable and comes apart with no problem.

I've bought it at Grainger and Amazon.

Eric

Same here. The 567 works on all pipe threads as small as 1/8" and smaller if needed. I've been using it for years with great results. The nice thing about 567 is it's a smooth paste, goes on threads very easily.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.