THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New Toy

Just picked up a 36 Pontiac. It's a project; I haven't fully decided what I'm going to do with it yet. I'd like to keep it stock, but there's a part of me that says drop a 455 in it......

Importsmasher
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201005_163220.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	550947  

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 10-05-2020, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool car. 455 it.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good looking car. Some years back I saw a 1936 Pontiac custom in progress at a local show. Besides all the bodywork it had a modified straight 6 with Edmunds speed equipment.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
Just picked up a 36 Pontiac. It's a project; I haven't fully decided what I'm going to do with it yet. I'd like to keep it stock, but there's a part of me that says drop a 455 in it......

Importsmasher
I would say it all depends on your vision for the car. My brother bought a 1948 International KB5 box truck and dropped it off on my doorstep. The body was fairly solid and it was more or less complete. But it ran poorly, didn't stop well, and no idea how the rest of the driveline was.

So being as complete as it was and very few left, I told him I wanted to see what I could do to get the engine running better. He is going to use it for business purposes and put a wrap on it to advertise. If the engine was bad, then the plan was small block/automatic the truck.

I put a complete tune-up on the straight 6, did a 12-volt conversion, and added a Pertronix to the distributor. Got it fired up and the engine ran so smooth and no smoke that if you told me it had been rebuilt I would have agreed. So from that point on it has been trying to keep it as original as possible.

Keep in mind that you can't just go to NAPA to grab parts. I have had to do a lot of fabrication and improvising. Just spent some good money to have steel rear brake shoes made for the truck as the factory 14 1/8" shoes were cast iron and one was broken in 3 pieces. Another had been brazed together. So using a god set, I went through a long process of 3-D scanning then to create a laser program that could be used to laser cut steel plates and then add the curvature to the plate having the lining riveted to it. The wheel seals are felt and I have to cut my own to make replacements. And so it has been with this truck.

Have been working on it 3 years now just because you can't just buy parts for it and fabrication takes time. I actually wish it had been in worse shape and I would have done the chevy engine/trans and installed a modern straight axle/rear end with upgraded braking system. So a good amount of money has been invested in the truck in trying to keep it as original as I can - understanding that my brother will never get his money out of it if he were to sell it.

So it would be cool to restore/keep original your car, but with the lack of easy to get parts, the "hot rod" or "resto-mod" might make it easier to bring back the car and keep a somewhat original appearance. If I were to make a driver out of the car, I might just go with a stock/mild 400CI, or even a real cheap 350CI and look to get a good gas mileage driver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1948 KB5 Box Truck.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	550948   Click image for larger version

Name:	1948 KB5 New Steel Brake  Shoes - resized.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	550949  

Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
I would say it all depends on your vision for the car. My brother bought a 1948 International KB5 box truck and dropped it off on my doorstep. The body was fairly solid and it was more or less complete. But it ran poorly, didn't stop well, and no idea how the rest of the driveline was.

So being as complete as it was and very few left, I told him I wanted to see what I could do to get the engine running better. He is going to use it for business purposes and put a wrap on it to advertise. If the engine was bad, then the plan was small block/automatic the truck.

I put a complete tune-up on the straight 6, did a 12-volt conversion, and added a Pertronix to the distributor. Got it fired up and the engine ran so smooth and no smoke that if you told me it had been rebuilt I would have agreed. So from that point on it has been trying to keep it as original as possible.

Keep in mind that you can't just go to NAPA to grab parts. I have had to do a lot of fabrication and improvising. Just spent some good money to have steel rear brake shoes made for the truck as the factory 14 1/8" shoes were cast iron and one was broken in 3 pieces. Another had been brazed together. So using a god set, I went through a long process of 3-D scanning then to create a laser program that could be used to laser cut steel plates and then add the curvature to the plate having the lining riveted to it. The wheel seals are felt and I have to cut my own to make replacements. And so it has been with this truck.

Have been working on it 3 years now just because you can't just buy parts for it and fabrication takes time. I actually wish it had been in worse shape and I would have done the chevy engine/trans and installed a modern straight axle/rear end with upgraded braking system. So a good amount of money has been invested in the truck in trying to keep it as original as I can - understanding that my brother will never get his money out of it if he were to sell it.

So it would be cool to restore/keep original your car, but with the lack of easy to get parts, the "hot rod" or "resto-mod" might make it easier to bring back the car and keep a somewhat original appearance. If I were to make a driver out of the car, I might just go with a stock/mild 400CI, or even a real cheap 350CI and look to get a good gas mileage driver.
I love the 40s Internationals! I built a 49 KB2 for my dad. The original engine was junk, so I put in a Ford 302, T5 and a 9 inch that I had laying around. Kept it looking stock otherwise. Even used the stock pedals and shift lever. My brother has it now.

We'll see how the original engine runs before I decide. The car has some rust, but it will be small patch panels (that I'll have to fabricate), rather than large areas. If I go V8, it will stay Pontiac, and I'll keep the body stock.

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 10-05-2020, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I say OHC 6 with Sprint package. Not as easy to build as a 455 but more in character with the car

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like it! Make it what ever you want. I have a 39 sedan that I plan on putting an S-10 frame under. I also like the idea of the OHC-6 drive train.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170408_142000.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	550954  

Old 10-06-2020, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the front end and grille on that thing but it looks like a nightmare to restore...the grille that is...

Old 10-06-2020, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Nice Project...

...we have a Facebook OHC forum member that has put an OHC 6 between the rails of his '36. Sadly I don't have any under the hood pics.

The thumb below is another but a '38.

Best of luck with yours.
Cheers.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-26-2024 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
...we have a Facebook OHC forum member that has put an OHC 6 between the rails of his '36. Sadly I don't have any under the hood pics.

The thumb below is another but a '38.

Best of luck with yours.
Cheers.
That is a cool idea! Unfortunately, if I have to replace the original engine, my budget will likely not allow a more expensive engine swap. I'll have to go with one of the engines I already have (350/400/455). It most definitely will remain Pontiac powered as long as i own it though.

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 10-06-2020, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

As long as it's not an LS swap we'll forgive you

Old 10-06-2020, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool project! keep us posted

Old 10-06-2020, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, economical to put a running OHC6 in while you resto the original Engine.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:55 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post

Importsmasher
Very cool! is it a touring model or does it have a smooth back?

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
Very cool! is it a touring model or does it have a smooth back?
I'm not even sure. I am unfamiliar with these early cars. Here's a picture showing the back.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201005_163210.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	550965  

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 10-06-2020, 09:21 AM
Senior Chief

Touring, it has the extended trunk, my 37 is a Model 2601 which has more of a fastback look. You have a 6cyl car so it has the shorter frontend . Good luck with the project!

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.