67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 Bird, correct front brake hose (4 Piston Disc Brakes) and brackets

So I have an original 4 piston disc brake setup that I am installing on my 68 bird (rebuilt calipers). I made my way through the stages of what fits and what doesn't fit. The one thing I left is getting the correct front disc brake rubber hoses and brackets.

To anyone that has an original factory setup on their Bird and has replaced the hoses, can you tell me what shape the metal ends are that go through the brackets? I believe the caliper end is round with a flat cut into it (D-shape) and that mates with a bracket that is currently being sold as a 68 GTO bracket. (link shown below to what those look like).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-GTO-Front...9R2yS4&vxp=mtr

If all of the above is correct, what is the shape on the other end of the hose and what is the shape of the cutout in the frame bracket? Below is a link to frame brackets being sold as drum / disc brake hose brackets for a 68 Bird. Note that they have a numerous pointed star shape on the cutout. Is that correct or should they have a "D" shape cutout, or possibly a hex cutout? These brackets look like a generic piece that is being marketed as a "one size fits all" approach to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-74-Drum-D...xXEPyn&vxp=mtr

If anyone has pictures of the correct hoses and frame bracket, I would appreciate seeing them. Below is a link to some images of what are supposed to be the correct brackets, but on the frame bracket I can't tell what the shape of the hole is. You can see that the overall bracket shape does not match the bracket currently being sold for this application. Also, you can see that the brake hose bracket that mounts on the caliper matches the shape of the GTO bracket currently being sold

http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com/f...ton_brakes.php

Thanks for your help.

OJ

Old 08-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found some more pics for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4385.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	434404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4386.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	434405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4387.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	434406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4389.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	434407   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4390.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	434408  

Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A higher res version shows D shape on the frame side. Drum left/disc right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	434409  

Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
A higher res version shows D shape on the frame side. Drum left/disc right.
I couldn't make out the "D" shape on the bracket from the website. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reproduction hoses I got from Ames many years ago were a tad too short so you might try the GTO reproductions and see how they fit lengthwise.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
The reproduction hoses I got from Ames many years ago were a tad too short so you might try the GTO reproductions and see how they fit lengthwise.
I have an original GTO hose (in terrible condition). It has the D shape on one end and the hex on the other end, so it wouldn't fit an original Firebird bracket.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool topic and great details, Hammered!

Old 09-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just to let you you all know, earlier this week I came across a guy who removed and was selling the original disc brake setup off of a 68 Bird. Most of it was in sad shape. I did however buy the calipers as a core set for $50. They still had the original short brake lines and hoses attached to them. Indeed, the hoses were very short, about 10" and they do match the new one I bought locally for $10. Both ends have the "D" shape fitting. I only wish the guy had saved the frame brackets.

OJ

Old 11-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you see this catalog? it may have what you need? http://online.flipbuilder.com/wmmk/tjaq/#p=21

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
Did you see this catalog? it may have what you need? http://online.flipbuilder.com/wmmk/tjaq/#p=21
I'm...............wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy beyond this. I've personally talked with these guys several times, both on the phone and in person. They are nice people and I have bought lots of stuff from them that is correct for a Firebird, but they are listing Camaro parts in this case as Firebird parts, which I believe to be wrong. If you or anyone else including them proves me wrong, I would love to use their stuff (I already own these parts from them).

Old 11-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
I'm...............wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy beyond this. I've personally talked with these guys several times, both on the phone and in person. They are nice people and I have bought lots of stuff from them that is correct for a Firebird, but they are listing Camaro parts in this case as Firebird parts, which I believe to be wrong. If you or anyone else including them proves me wrong, I would love to use their stuff (I already own these parts from them).
OK. I wondered if you knew about it. I remember your posts about brackets and came across these and thought these may work. Amazing how many parts out there claiming to be "correct" simply are NOT! If all fails you could just make them, they dont look complicated. Of course you need to know how they look, if yours are missing, and if Camaro parts are wrong, its hard to know what they really should be. You would "think" they would be the same? I mean, why would they make different parts for the same platform? Good Luck!

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.