Old 04-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default home made sepentine belt system

Has anyone made a serpentine belt system with parts from other cars and some home made brackets ? Id love a march system but $$$ is too high. Id like to get away from the squeals and mess of the v-belts. I also need AC for this set-up.

Thanks

Last edited by 77TA; 04-20-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Senior Chief

I'm using serpentine belts for my alternator, waterpump and power steering pump. I have two belts and an aftermarket P/S pump so it may not be what you're looking for. The pulleys are from a 4.6 liter Crown Vic that I modified.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Pulleys 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	50553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Pulleys 3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	50554  

Old 04-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That would work for me just fine. The second crank pulley how did you do that ? Anymore information appreciated such as part numbers or what you had to do to make th epulleys fit. It looks liek you used the factory alternator bracket so that looks simple enough. Is that a different alternator than stock ? I need something with more output is why I ask.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Suspended

would suggest that you need more contact area for the belt on the water pump pulley. this will be a problem as the belt stretches with age and heat, that is why the systems all have tensioners installed. But even with a tensioner, that contact area is not enough. Rule of thumb is at least 100 degrees of area on any pulley.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Senior Chief

The crankshaft come as a two-pulley set spot welded together.

I don't know the part numbers.

On the crankshaft pulleys I bored them out to Pontiac diameter and then drilled my balancer to the Ford bolt pattern. There wasn't enough room for the Pontiac bolt pattern. (I have an aftermarket balancer, this may not work with a stock Pontiac balancer)

On the waterpump pulley, I welded a plate in the bore and then bored it to Pontiac water pump diamter. Then I drilled it for the Pontiac bolt pattern.

There are a couple of shims behind the crankshaft pulleys.

The alternator is a one wire "200 amp" GM CS-140 I got from Ebay. It puts out some serious current, enough for my twin Flex-a-Lite fans, Weldon fuel pump, Holley fuel pump, fuel injection, MSD Digital 6+, intercooler pump, and headlights. My car draws over 60 amps at idle.

I modified the stock alternator bracket to work with the larger alternator. The adjustment slot has to be moved outward and "re-curved."

engineer - I agree that more belt contact would be desirable but what I have works in this application. Since there's no fan, the torque load on the waterpump pulley is small. The car is maintained like an F-18. I put over 4000 miles on this set up last year with no problems. For a daily driver it might be an issue.