THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:14 PM
Senior Chief

Default Hobbies

Any coin collectors here?

Old 04-13-2022, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I collect $100 dollar bills . . . . .😎

Old 04-13-2022, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I collect the ones I find with my metal detector and any good ones from the Coin Star machines around town.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooskidoo View Post
Little head hundreds?

Old 04-13-2022, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Wonky quarter

I got this 2001 North Carolina State Quarter today. Shiny on the front, copper on the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220413_140834.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	588628   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220413_140858.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	588629  

Old 04-14-2022, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was much younger, my dad and I would hit the local Laundromats to clean out their change machines looking for rare coins. I was trying to complete my Buffalo head nickel collection and every now and then we would get lucky.
Steel wartime Pennies still could be found in your change in the early sixties. Have a bunch of those.
When dad's work took him near the Nevada state line he would bring home Silver dollars from the slots most dated in the late 1800s. Still have those.

Several years ago my wife was buying a ticket for the transit train at the Mexican border. A lady asked her if she could exchange 10 dollars for change that would work in the ticket machine.
You guessed it. More Silver dollars from the early 1900s. She had to call me to make sure they were real as she had never seen one before.

Yesterday, I was going through my dads old AAF stuff. German coins with Adolph's likeness, Italian Lira, etc. Found some US proof sets from 1960 and 64. Still in the US Mint case, never touched.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 04-14-2022, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gardening soon
Chickens again soon
beekeeping again soon
vinyl records at dinner, while remote working. Bass guitar, vacuum tube audio
ham shack soon
Ber can collection
TH400 and 4L80 builds
this Pontiac car hobby (just a 68 GTO at my end)
95 TownCar hobby (its what i drive
2 house dogs
cooking

sold the meager coin collection

Old 04-14-2022, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes, and stamps, and trade cards, and GTO models, and..............

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I collect the ones I find with my metal detector and any good ones from the Coin Star machines around town.
The coin star machine can be a gold mine and you’ll see why in a few seconds.

I’d say every couple months, I find a pure silver American coin and some pretty neat foreign coins sometimes.

However a few months ago and I knew what it was a soon as I saw it I found a 1945 2 1/2 Mexican peso and they are pure gold.

At the moment I think they sell for about $175-$190.

On the day when I found it it was a pretty good hall of some various foreign coins.

Happy Hunting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BCEF7D10-1663-43B8-8EF9-47CDB78753ED.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	588648   Click image for larger version

Name:	71F4A91D-3E25-4ECD-B69B-DA17647A3AC9.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	588649  

The Following User Says Thank You to Mattman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How does one get the money out of a coin star machine?

My grandmother put coin books together for my older brother when he was a kid. Buffalo nickels, mercury dimes, silver dollars, all old stuff. This was the late 50's. I used to look through them and my memory tells me there were dozens of these books.

On a whim mom started collecting bicentennial quarters when they came out. Everyone she knew would look out for them. At one time they were everywhere but it has been years since I have seen one now. She literally had bucket fulls of them. I cant imagine they are worth more than .25 but even so it has to be good haul by now. I havent asked her about them in years as I dont want to come off as sounding like I want the money. I only hope that its still around someplace.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a few...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-14-2022, 10:32 AM
Senior Chief

I spent my cold, awful winter studying for the ham radio Technician license because someone gifted me the book. Got Tech lic in February. On a whim, got the "General" level study guide shortly thereafter, and then passed that General exam a few weeks ago. Not sure I will go for the "Extra", the amount of work for the final bit of frequency allocations seems hard to justify.

KE8TXR

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 04-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Boost Engineer

I have collected coins and paper money from countries I have traveled to since the late 60s.

Normal token stuff: Mexico, Canada, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Iraq, Germany, Panama, El Salvador, and Chile. Always wanted to go to Peru (and visit "Machu Picchu") and get a coin from there.

In many cases I was only at those locations a few hours or a couple of days.
So I have a few basic coins but no real coins of value.

Should have invested in 1 oz South African 100% Gold Krugerrand Coins like one of my Ford bosses did in the mid 70s.
$133 coin in those days (1976) to 2022 prices of $2,050 per coin. Course 64 GTOs cost $3,300 in 1964 too.

But back on the coin collecting.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

Should have invested in 1 oz South African 100% Gold Krugerrand Coins like one of my Ford bosses did in the mid 70s.
$133 coin in those days (1976) to 2022 prices of $2,050 per coin. Course 64 GTOs cost $3,300 in 1964 too.

Tom V.
Interesting.

Some folks do invest in their hobbies. I suppose some of my collections might be considered investments; but they were not purchased for that reason. I collect for enjoyment. Of course, if something I purchases increases in value, then so much the better.

In 1976 gold was roughly $125./ounce. Today, almost $2000./ounce. So any purchases of gold coins would have been an investment.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-14-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
How does one get the money out of a coin star machine?.
Coins that are not the normal size and weight of current American currency simply fall through the machine to a tray towards the bottom.

Many people leave coins there because they don’t consider them worth anything or don’t wanna have sou what happen coins laying around.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a few that have been passed down but I dont actively collect.

I like to travel so car money aside I mostly save for that. Im going to the Dominican Republic at the end of the month to chase white marlin.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-14-2022, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coin "nerd" checking in.

I have collected as far back as I can remember;
I started with the penny, and since the penny was discontinued here (Canada) I have nearly got an example of every year/version.

These days I slowly find coins to fill holes in my Lechtturm books.

LINK

I also quite like the blue Warman's books for American currency - but with the border being closed for most of the last two years, I haven't been able to keep up on my state quarter books...
And I am quite bummed that they don't have a whole lot for post 2015 holders - I have resorted to some older undated Whitman books, when I can find them at the right price.

Quote:
I got this 2001 North Carolina State Quarter today. Shiny on the front, copper on the back.
that's pretty cool!!

I don't know how the plating process of American coinage goes, but I'd wager a guess that this is a plating error!

I'd keep it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
The coin star machine can be a gold mine and you’ll see why in a few seconds.

I’d say every couple months, I find a pure silver American coin and some pretty neat foreign coins sometimes.

However a few months ago and I knew what it was a soon as I saw it I found a 1945 2 1/2 Mexican peso and they are pure gold.

At the moment I think they sell for about $175-$190.

On the day when I found it it was a pretty good hall of some various foreign coins.

Happy Hunting.
WOW!!!

Just WOW!!

The best finds similar to that which I have had were from coin machines at the Dole Plantation in Hawaii (seriously);
They have coin machines for stamping souvenir pennies;
Those coin machines need quarters;
So beside the penny stampers they have machines that exchange bills for quarters;
I got a couple silver USA quarters in that same visit (I may have left with a pocket full of quarters after getting my first silver one - but it paid off, I got two or three!!).

I only have three gold coins - I bought two of them when gold wasn't quite as crazy as it is now, and I bought them in part because of opportunity (they were from a friends great-grandfathers collection and were probably just going to be cashed in), I also bought them because they were so neat (to me) - they are USA $2-1/2 coins;
What makes them neat is they are reverse stamped - so unlike most coins where the details are raised, these are stamped where the details are below the surface of the coin!
In my opinion, that was a stroke of genius - gold being a soft metal, it almost gauranteed that they would look good for years.

... now if only that degree of thought was put into the creation of the 'buffalo nickle'(!) - I have three that are "undated" because the date is the highest point, and it has worn off.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 04-14-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Interesting yes, but a fairly common oversight by overworked mint employees, who are burdened with pushing out 10's of millions of coins per year....especially recently with the ongoing covid epidemic.
I am in the process of assembling a small group of coins in order to give to my five grandchildren, mostly non-silver coins, as the price of silver and gold has passed me by. Anyway, I would offer you $4. for this coin. I believe it would fit in nicely with the other common items that I am hoping to leave to my heirs.
Best Regards............

Old 04-14-2022, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
I spent my cold, awful winter studying for the ham radio Technician license because someone gifted me the book. Got Tech lic in February. On a whim, got the "General" level study guide shortly thereafter, and then passed that General exam a few weeks ago. Not sure I will go for the "Extra", the amount of work for the final bit of frequency allocations seems hard to justify.

KE8TXR

Another Great Hobby!

Welcome to the world of Ham Radio. I got my Novice license @11 years old (at the time was the youngest ever in Ohio, (A guy I was friends with got his @ 9 years old about a decade later) Got my General Class @ 13, but failed the Advance Class the same day. Next year I will have had a license for 50 years. Not active much, but love Field Day & the DX contests. Both my Mom & Dad are also Hams. Dad is very active. Just like the car hobby, a lot of great folks & a lot of fun, although it has gotten very expensive for equipment in the last couple of decades compared to what it was back when I started!

God Bless
Bill WB8SVW
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe