THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Between driving junk, and fixing them all the time, maintaining 4 acres of lawn, at this house, and still moving the household from the old place to the new place, and keeping up the 1/3 acre lot of the old house. Repairing and remodeling a 120 YO farm house, I get plenty of exercise. I eat sensibly, and am slowly dropping weight, 230 lbs at 6 feet. I'll be 70 in January.

Whoever said getting old, ain't for sissies was right. Hopefully I'm not a sissy...

My father lived to 92, and he never stopped moving, so I do believe that is true. Once you become sedentary you go downhill quickly. My mother made it to 99, she stayed by herself in assisted living until the last month of her life.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I don't know, but I been told, you never slow down, you never grow old"
Tom Petty

Old 05-27-2022, 07:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
I need to look into testosterone supplements......my strength has gone in the crappah.
Take these together once a day on an empty stomach in the morning 5 days a week, with 2 days off (SAT SUN). You'll be waking up with morning wood again so warn the wife.....or surprise her

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Rhino-L-...s%2C117&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Rhino-L-...0-eeda4dea34d6

Old 06-01-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I bought Mobil 1 and NAPA gold filter for my 2015 GMC 2500. I had every intention of doing the change. Then I stopped at tire shop for tires for TA. Asked owner how much? Oil change and tire rotation, $20.00! Do it.
Right on!

Old 06-01-2022, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No humiliation if you have your oil changed,
its when you start wearing white socks and rubber clogs that you should be slapped and sent to the home.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Not to scare anyone,.......but I have multiple true stories from quick change oil change businesses that are pretty bad. 3 of them have required new engines being installed, one just last month. 1. My sister takes her new Mini Cooper to a quick lube in San Diego for it's FIRST oil change. They leave the drain plug loose and it looses almost all it's oil, locking up the engine 4 days after the oil change. Oil change place agrees to have a new engine installed in the Mini at a BMW dealer in Los Angeles. They install new engine in a car with 6K miles on it. The dealer tech forgets to plug in the electric fan and also doesn't give it a proper test drive to verify it. 1/2 hour after leaving the dealer the new engine is blown up on the side of the road after getting God knows how hot. So that's 2 dead engines at 6K miles. Dealer orders her a new car. Lessons learned. 2. Wife of my co-worker is sick and tired of him not getting the oil changed on her Ford Excursion. She takes it to Jiffy Lube for a change. An hour later, she calls him and says the truck is dead on the side of the road, with oil everywhere under the hood, and smoke. He rushes to the scene and checks the oil. It was 6 inches ABOVE the full line and a little dirty. Determined they double filled it. (did not drain out the old oil before refilling) It has been leaking oil ever since. 3. General contractor friend of mine took his Duramax truck to a quick lube. They installed the wrong oil filter on it and started the engine. Oil gushed out everywhere so they shut it off and went to the parts store nearby and purchased the correct filter. Sent him on his way. He pulls into my driveway with the "check oil level" light on. I check it and proceed to add 5 quarts of oil to it. After they put the correct oil in it, they never checked the oil level for what was lost. Just 3 recent examples. These places will hire ANYONE. Zero capability required. Many have come to work at the quick lube for a $.025 pay increase from McDonalds or bagging groceries. Use a shop you trust. Be willing to pay a buck or two more for someone who has some basic idea of what they are doing.
The local J-lube was a bonanza for my repair shop. Customer complains of an oil leak. Striped drain plug even time. (Oil changed by the "J-Team". Family member had a FWD Saab. The engine oil drain and differential drain are near each each other and require the same special wrench. Two weeks after the oil change the diff is wiped out with no oil in it and the engine is over filled by four quarts. The J-Team drained his diff and never checked the engine oil level after putting four quarts on top of the original four quarts they never drained out. They refused to make go on the damage and he lost in court. The judge stated he had no way to prove they drained the diff instead of the engine. Another shop had a problem keeping freon in a customers A/C system. After three come backs the customer explains I leave here AC is cold. I drive three thousand miles. I go to J-Lube for an oil change. AC stops working. I come here you fix AC. I drive three thousand miles, J-Team changes oil, AC doesn't work. Th shop owner was a former undercover investigator with the NYS DMV. He brings the car to the J-Lube for an oil change with a video camera in a shoulder bag and records them connecting Freon recovery equipment to the vehicles AC system. He confronts the shop owner with the video. J_Lube agrees to refund hundreds to the AC repair shop and the vehicle owner.

Last edited by Dynoking; 06-03-2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:56 PM
Boost Engineer

"Between driving junk, and fixing them all the time, maintaining 4 acres of lawn, at this house, and still moving the household from the old place to the new place, and keeping up the 1/3 acre lot of the old house. Repairing and remodeling a 120 YO farm house, I get plenty of exercise. I eat sensibly, and am slowly dropping weight, 230 lbs at 6 feet. I'll be 70 in January." quote by Sirrotica

1) I am 6 foot, used to weight 245 and now weight 195.
Just went from 3 big meals a day to 2 smaller meals a day and a lot more projects vs sitting at a desk..
Took 5 years to drop the 50 pounds.

2) I can relate to that 1/3rd acre lawn upkeep.
I now have 5.4 acres and have the lawn taken care of by a group of commercial lawn and snow guys, (230 foot driveway).

3) My place is not a 130 year old farm house. Maybe 30 years old but needs some electrical upgrades for a new 30x50 shop vs my current 30 year old metal barn.
Hope to have heated water in the concrete like Scott Tieman has in his restoration shop and a new taller building so I can install a 4 post lift. Then I will be back to changing my own oil again (like I did at the Pontiac Dealership) in the early 1970s.

Congrats on your new place, Sirrotica.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

50 lbs. weight lose is a great accomplishment.
Tom.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:30 AM

Yah I took the wife’s SUV to the stealer ship for a quick oil change as we were leaving that afternoon on a trip. I didn’t have the time to do it myself before we left.
I know the guy running the shop and we were BS’ing about nothing when Juninho Jong Liu says to me to start it up. I say to him I didn’t see you put any oil in it. His eyes got big and he ograbbed the dipstick and then I heard the oil getting pumped into the engine. I’m not racist it coulda been any body at the oil change place but if my wife or kid woulda been there they would have started it up without oil.

My buddies ride me for changing my own oil and have to dispose of it. But this is exactly why I do chit my self.

The Following User Says Thank You to judger69 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2022, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure I'm not the only one doing the other bad thing, buying transmission parts and putting them away and
just prior to doing the repair I ordered some more parts thinking that it would be a good idea, LOL. Did not look
in the first box before ordering the second round so I now have another new muncie 2nd gear on the shelf. OOOPPPS.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
Pretty sure I'm not the only one doing the other bad thing, buying transmission parts and putting them away and
just prior to doing the repair I ordered some more parts thinking that it would be a good idea, LOL. Did not look
in the first box before ordering the second round so I now have another new muncie 2nd gear on the shelf. OOOPPPS.
I do that with tools. I buy a specialty tool, forget that I bought it, because I don’t use it often, then buy another when I have a project requiring that tool. I have 3 vacuum hand pumps, a few rivet guns, ect

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.