Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 07-14-2006, 05:33 PM

wow all that 2 u.,.its a built 357 with 521 hp 2 the rear wheels.if u think u can beat it come try this lam ass chevy.,.and if my gto cant beat u then try my vega(single diget car) .,.i was just telling you guys about my ride and u come on here and bash me.thats just not right man.,but whatever

Old 07-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Who gives a %$#*

Pontiac only engines was somebody elses era, it's not mine. If I had a LS7 engine, I would not think twice about dropping it into a old Pontiac body.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Pittbull; Your vega vs. my PONTIAC 400 POWERED vega. Single digit car eh? Cool. Where do you live? By the way, I have a 350 +.060" Pontiac that will match you and it is a 92 octane pump gas only engine with no power adders. 1 holley carb that flows 900 cfm. 578 hp and 548 tq at the peaks. HP avg. across a 4000 rpm range of 468hp from 2500 rpm to 6500 rpm. I wasn't bashing you, just relaying my experience. I know what it takes to get the power you say you have. Congrads. But I would still like to know what was done to the Pontiac engine. My 400 Pontiac made 653 hp @ 6400 rpm on 92 octane pump gas. 1 carb. What will your 357 make with 1 carb and 92 octane?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Ken K, chevy engines in anything other than a chevy era is long over. Put a Pontiac in a 63 Vette and increase the value.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASJayhawk
What Brandi said.

I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother with a SBC in a 68 Tempest.
haha

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components
Old 02-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH
Put the 400 Chevy in. Paint it Pontiac green. When they ask, say it's a 400. 90 percent of people won't know the difference.
If Chevy in a Pontiac is so wrong, why did GM do it?

chevy in a pontiac is about as "right" as a gto built in austrailia. GM did it on both accounts, but then again, that doesnt make it right

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components
Old 02-27-2007, 05:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull racing
ps iam ,looking 4 a hood 4 a 74 gto or ventura.,.,.,.,thanks
I have a nice '73 hood.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 PM

WOW is all I have to say. I know this is beating a dead horse but isn't this a non-pontiac motors section? I'm a younger guy (23) but have been around muscle cars since I can remember. I am one to like to keep a nice original car in that shape (with maybe modern upgrades that won't demean the car) but I am also an avid customizer (have built a few custom frames, interior swaps from late-models to older, as well as drivetrain swaps). I understand some of the "purists" as you've been called here, being irritated with the fact of a typical chevy motor in a Pontiac, but what happened to the days of run what you brung? I've heard the stories from my dad and the guys at the shows and cruises I go to that swapped motors from anything they could find to get their cars to run with someone else. You say an equally built pontiac will outrun a built chevy, I say your wrong. I am not siding with chevy, but stating you put the right amount of time and work into ANY engine and it'll run. There will always be something faster, you say the Pontiac engine is faster, but why don't we see more of them in the drags? I personally love the Pontiac engine but saying one is better than the other is non-sense. It all depends who built it and what's done. Yes the Pontiac makes awesome low end power, but so does a well built 383 chevy motor. (you see where I am going). I have seen ford motors outpower chevy and pontiac, and vice-versa. I'm all about keeping a nice clean original car that way(depending on if it's desirable that way). Now if it's a 63' Fury or something with a straight 6, no a/c, and ripped seats, might as well dropp a hemi in it with a 727 and go to town. My 69' will be getting a very up-to-date engine/suspension/tire-wheel setup. Some of you guys will probably yell at me for it but again it's my car. I give props to someone who wants to modify a car in a good way (you all have to admit SBC are MUCH easier to come by and cheaper than a pontiac, so a young fantasy racer with very thin pockets can easily get started in the game with a SBC). To sum up my soap box ranting, good luck with your car, I hope you enjoy it. me, I would have either kept the 350 or gotten a 400/455 to drop in it's place and done it that way, but hey I've swapped SBC's into fords/chryslers/etc with friends of mine. Guy I know has a 9 second stang with a N/A 355 in it. Main idea about this hobby is to enjoy it. You may enjoy your cars plain and original with no frills, others may enjoy theres a little on the wild/crazy side and dare to be different, when it all comes down to it we are all in the hobby for the same reason, it's something we love doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey Almighty
Ah VTEC. All the lag, none of the turbo. It's like waiting for bad sex.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:32 AM
Suspended

RAMAIRZ, What is the reason are you getting rid of the Pontiac engine? What is wrong with it? Had to ask. btw, I've put a Ford 460 into a real RS/SS 69 camaro just to tick off a diehard chevy guy who put a chevy engine in a nice 2+@ Mustang. He liked to have died when we blew his doors off with a ford powered chevy. I think he refianced his house just to buy the car from us so he could take out the ford engine. Should have went and done another early camero with anything else we could get other than a chevy engine just because!

Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 AM

Nothing is wrong with the engine. It's a 92,000 original mile 250ci OHC straight 6. I was going to build a Turbo OHC 6 for it, but decided to go against it since I have a LSx based Gen III engine on a stand that I would rather use. Will be much cheaper and make more power. I usually like to go the odd-ball route but the cost to get the straight-6 where I wanted it did not sit right with me lol. I could build this motor for half the price, make twice the power, it'll last, parts available just about everywhere, oh and good MPG Was looking into building a 455 Twin Turbo setup until my fiance got me this motor. Will build another "true" pontiac after this one is finished

Quote:

Last edited by RamAirZ; 03-07-2007 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Suspended

RAMAIRZ, What are you going to do with the ohc 6?

Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM

I wanted to keep it for another project but don't have room for it with moving and all. I've put it up for sale and no one wanted it lol. I have the motor and liquid cooled ST300 tranny. Anyone want it? lol

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Suspended

RAMAIRZ, The ohc 6 isn't very common now a days, but it can be built. Like you said, finding what you need isn't easy. But going to a V8 Pontiac would be the best option in my opinion. Even if you do have the LSx engine, they are not cheap to build. I still do not see how a sbc is so cheap when you get to the power level of the Pontiac, you've spent within 1 to 2 hundred bucks of money. Doesn't matter if it is a sbc or a bbc. The cheapest engine to actuly build and make power with is a Ford.
As for your OHC6, where are you?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:19 AM

Ya I had plans laid out for the OHC-6. forged stroker kit from Primatech, ported 250ci head, stainless valves, custom grind cam, single 60-1 turbo, clifford aluminum intake with accel TB and setup for MPFI. I also had all the plans and pieces for a DIS-6 system to put on it. Would have been REALLY neat but if I get it all built, and it blows up down the road, what if Primatech isn't around? At least in this project I would like to keep it easily maintanable and good mpg/hp numbers and drivability. I've got the Gen III with forged rods, pistons, 241 heads sitting here. need to get the cam, intake. rails etc and setup a turbo on it I do agree making power with the Pontiac is easy, but making power with a SBC is easy too. All motors have their good and bad qualities and everyone has their preference. Dude A might love Ford and be able to make any ford motor scream but not a chevy, and Dude B might be able to make a wicked chevy motor but stink at ford lol. etc etc. Just my .02. I will have a Pontiac V8 Powered vehicle in the future though, so keep an eye out Oh and in Pensacola Florida

Quote:
Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirZ
WOW is all I have to say. I know this is beating a dead horse but isn't this a non-pontiac motors section? I'm a younger guy (23) but have been around muscle cars since I can remember. I am one to like to keep a nice original car in that shape (with maybe modern upgrades that won't demean the car) but I am also an avid customizer (have built a few custom frames, interior swaps from late-models to older, as well as drivetrain swaps). I understand some of the "purists" as you've been called here, being irritated with the fact of a typical chevy motor in a Pontiac, but what happened to the days of run what you brung? I've heard the stories from my dad and the guys at the shows and cruises I go to that swapped motors from anything they could find to get their cars to run with someone else. You say an equally built pontiac will outrun a built chevy, I say your wrong. I am not siding with chevy, but stating you put the right amount of time and work into ANY engine and it'll run. There will always be something faster, you say the Pontiac engine is faster, but why don't we see more of them in the drags? I personally love the Pontiac engine but saying one is better than the other is non-sense. It all depends who built it and what's done. Yes the Pontiac makes awesome low end power, but so does a well built 383 chevy motor. (you see where I am going). I have seen ford motors outpower chevy and pontiac, and vice-versa. I'm all about keeping a nice clean original car that way(depending on if it's desirable that way). Now if it's a 63' Fury or something with a straight 6, no a/c, and ripped seats, might as well dropp a hemi in it with a 727 and go to town. My 69' will be getting a very up-to-date engine/suspension/tire-wheel setup. Some of you guys will probably yell at me for it but again it's my car. I give props to someone who wants to modify a car in a good way (you all have to admit SBC are MUCH easier to come by and cheaper than a pontiac, so a young fantasy racer with very thin pockets can easily get started in the game with a SBC). To sum up my soap box ranting, good luck with your car, I hope you enjoy it. me, I would have either kept the 350 or gotten a 400/455 to drop in it's place and done it that way, but hey I've swapped SBC's into fords/chryslers/etc with friends of mine. Guy I know has a 9 second stang with a N/A 355 in it. Main idea about this hobby is to enjoy it. You may enjoy your cars plain and original with no frills, others may enjoy theres a little on the wild/crazy side and dare to be different, when it all comes down to it we are all in the hobby for the same reason, it's something we love doing.

Very well put RamAirZ, i think this is the best response yet to this thread.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM

Thank ya kindly

Quote:
Old 03-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, I had no idea there was so much hostility towards the bow-ties... Guess I should hate myself for owning a GTO and a chevelle!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It used to be just a competition between the divisions, but since GM screwed everyone, except Chevrolet, it's more than just a hostility, it's an obsession.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 03-25-2007, 03:06 AM
Suspended

webfoot; Man, I had no idea there was so much hostility towards the bow-ties

Yep. Why should Pontiac people continue to put up with being told "it's the thing to do, put a bowtie in it?" When a Pontiac powered car brings more money at resale time, plus will spank the chevy's power all day long, should be clear to put a Pontiac in a Pontiac. Of course you will always have people like pitbull racing that brags on a very built chevy engine compared to a stock Pontiac engine, but where did he go hide when my Pontiac powered Vega is more than able to spank his chevy powered vega?

Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Matt, in getting back to your original question, Chevelle mounts on the frame and on the engine and the SBC will bolt right up.
I myself am also new to this forum, and also have a 70 model LeMans that I am putting my built 400 SBC in. My car came without any motor or transmission, so I do not feel prone to keeping the car Pontiac powered.
Sometimes we have to play with the hand we are dealt, and since its Your Car, You can do what ever you want with it.
I have ran SBC 400 engines in several cars, and they are in my own opinion, the best of the small block engines for low end Torque and cubic inches.
For those of us living on a hobby budget, then we can use whatever we have available.
My car is still a Pontiac, and it will still be powered by a GM engine, so I have no regrets in using my SBC.
To each his own.........
Jim C.