Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 04-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to lugnutt
Default Anybody ever install a LS1 in a first Gen F-body

Ive been kickin around the idea to sale my IA2 project and install a supercharged LS1 in my first Gen firebird.
Just wondered if anyone has one of these and what did it take. Headers are my major concern, then how to mount the TH400 convertor to the LS1.
Thoughts?

Old 04-28-2007, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

They have headers for the first gen Camaros that I assume will work for you.
The T400 is no problem at all, you'll just need the correct torque converter.

Other than the "Not having a real Pontiac motor" comments, I, honestly think you'll love it.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/index.php?

Old 04-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

www.pro-touring.com

Old 04-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutt
Ive been kickin around the idea to sale my IA2 project and install a supercharged LS1 in my first Gen firebird.
Just wondered if anyone has one of these and what did it take. Headers are my major concern, then how to mount the TH400 convertor to the LS1.
Thoughts?
Whats wrong with supercharging the IAII.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:55 PM

they make a conversion kit for this. you might want to check the camaro forums for this. its around $1000 but it is worth it as well. everything to put it in!!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagle
Whats wrong with supercharging the IAII.
Fuel injection $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
D1SC Procharger set up for Pontaic $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Wire harness for direct bolt in $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Etc. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Just a few

Old 04-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to fast72lemans

I have a 6.0 out of a hummer that is just wanting to be under my hood. What supercharger were you thinking of using?

Old 04-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The D1sc procharger I just bought for my 99 is supposed to be good up to 1400 horsepower with the 8 rib set up I got with it. Twin intercoolers. Just started thinking, why not just stick it in the 68'?

Old 04-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to fast72lemans

You can't go wrong with those ls motors, cam and headwork and they run 10's all day long. I say do it!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How much for the 6.0?

Old 04-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HE would care, and that's all that really matters. Enough said !

Old 04-30-2007, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

It could be worse...

My kids were watching the 3rd making of "The Fast and the Furious" Tokyo drift. Towards the end of the movie the main guy, an American, takes a 68 Shelby Mustang and installs a turbo Nissan Skyline motor in it...

Talk about making a die hard purist sick...

At least the LSx motor is still a GM motor, with parts designed by Pontiac engineers.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Chief

Talking

Yep, just another "Chevy" in a Pontiac. How dare you even think of it. It's only better in every way. Don't do it!

LoL...

Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"Another local had a 555 Chevy built for his `74 Camaro last year.He paid $15k to run 9.90s N/A.He needed to freshen it this year,that was another $7500.Now THAT seems like alot of money to me."
I guess you havent tried to put a Ia2 together with race parts. Besides if he needed 7500.00 worth of work something was broke!! Thats just racing.
Has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Its funny how people over react to putting other power plants into a GM car. Do you think Pontiac made the whole car? Come on!! My car has a Strange Fab 9 rear (not pontiac) a Turbo 400 (not pontiac) a 4500 stall convertor (not pontiac) I guess I dont have a pontiac any more, so I might as well put a LS1 in it. At least it has more GM parts than my IA2 will have!

Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like BDHABT the first thing I do when I see a old Pontiac that I have not seen before is look under it.The owners that still have a Pontiac in it know what I am looking and we always have a nice conversation.Its a comradeship sort of thing.
And luggnut people do not react or overreact to putting other powerplants in GM cars.They react when people put chevys in Pontiacs.Because you have a 4500 stall it is no longer a Pontiac....what.You are not making sense.It is about the engine.You do not get it and are going to do what you want.
Pontiac had to go against chevy to get the whole GTO muscle car thing started in the first place.And they had to do what they did in that era with one giant foot on their back(chevy).It has always been about being different and not giving up.
Why call yourself a Pontiac fan if you are just going to throw a chevy in it,whats the point.And who likes a sellout.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutt
"Another local had a 555 Chevy built for his `74 Camaro last year.He paid $15k to run 9.90s N/A.He needed to freshen it this year,that was another $7500.Now THAT seems like alot of money to me."
I guess you havent tried to put a Ia2 together with race parts. Besides if he needed 7500.00 worth of work something was broke!! Thats just racing.
Has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Its funny how people over react to putting other power plants into a GM car. Do you think Pontiac made the whole car? Come on!! My car has a Strange Fab 9 rear (not pontiac) a Turbo 400 (not pontiac) a 4500 stall convertor (not pontiac) I guess I dont have a pontiac any more, so I might as well put a LS1 in it. At least it has more GM parts than my IA2 will have!

lug,I have not priced an IA2 race motor.Nor do I want to step on any toes.
Just seems like alot of cabbage.What I was relating to,is that the BBC,in my eyes,is equally expensive.
There is a local racer at my home track,LVD,running a `68 Bird,with a 455,solid cam,ported #48s,etc.Hes running 9.90s also.I pray to God he didnt spend $20k for that.
Do whatever you feel is best for your wallet;you`ll definetly impress the late model guys with your swap.

Mark.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 PM

This brings up an interesting point. What makes the LS motors Chevy motors? Do they share common architecture with the first generation Chevy small block? Just curious...

Old 07-28-2007, 11:50 PM

i was wondering the same thing. there are also alot of lsx mustangs, yes i said mustangs, out there now. there are also alot of rx7 lsx cars and a couple wrx soobaroo also. i just sold a 6.0 99 trans am that was built from junkyard and ebay. so someone is getting the news if these guys and i mean not just one is putting into a ford. i am just stuck between an edelbrock headed 400, 455 or 6.0 lsx. i like the idea of the lsx because of the very large aftermarket offering.

1969 firebird
1977 grand prix
1969 mustang
1973 road runner
1970 cutlass
Old 07-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap5
This brings up an interesting point. What makes the LS motors Chevy motors? Do they share common architecture with the first generation Chevy small block? Just curious...
The architecture is completely different from the original Chevy engine. It was designed from scratch by GM (not Chevy) Powertrain Engineers. I think only the bore center spacing is the same and the lifters actually fit both. It is a true "Corporate" engine because when it was conceived all Powertrain Divisions from the different brands were already consolidated. Of course that doesn't stop GM from playing both sides of the fence when they think it's beneficial for marketing (their latest anniversary book for the Chevy Smallblock included the LS motors). It's no more of a Chevy engine than it is a Pontiac engine.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

The LS is still a chevy as the IA II is still a Pontiac.