Old 05-08-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves57 View Post
thanks for the help sam , heres how it came out, i like it a lot dave
Excellent!! Looks great.

Sam

Old 08-08-2010, 11:42 PM

Default New Cold air intake

With the Texas summers comes Texas heat. We've been getting 100 + days areound here and the LS motor with the Street & performance air filter sitting right behind the radiator was not liking it. I got the airraid U Build it kit and built a new cold air intake. The filter now pulls cooler air from behind the fender and the engine now is performing better.

Before:

After:

Much better setup now and am looking forward to seeing how this performs compared to the old setup.

Sam

Old 10-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SAM..you're a craftsman, ignore the haters, and cruise it til the wheels fall off, ya did a great job!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i am absolutely amazed. good work. beautiful car.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM

Great job. One of the best I have seen especially since you did yourself and were on part of some business building a promotion vehicle. Being an engineer I have several question that are killing me. How long did it take ? How many manhours and best estimate of total dollars incurred ?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
SAM..you're a craftsman, ignore the haters, and cruise it til the wheels fall off, ya did a great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
i am absolutely amazed. good work. beautiful car.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive comments. I have put about 5300 miles on the car this summer including a father/son trip to Estes Park Colorado for the 1st annual Cannonbird Run. This is a national 1st generation firebird rally. The trip was awesome and we won best firebird.

From Estes Park we drove to Lincoln, Nebraska to visit my other son. On the way, to Lincoln we had a problem with a rear axle seal leaking. Found an awesome shop in Lincoln called Restore A Muscle Car. They specialize in 2nd gen firebirds and fixed us up. From there we drove back to Huntsville, Tx. The trip was great and we put about 2700 miles on the car in a week and averaged 21.8 mpg. Looking forward to power tour next year, driving the car is a blast.

Sam

Last edited by Samhatco; 10-11-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GTOSCA View Post
Great job. One of the best I have seen especially since you did yourself and were on part of some business building a promotion vehicle. Being an engineer I have several question that are killing me. How long did it take ? How many manhours and best estimate of total dollars incurred ?
Thanks! 68GTOSCA, I don't know what you mean by building a promotion vehicle...I just built the car for myself. I'm not in the car building business, its just a hobby. I love working on cars and get great satisfaction working with my hands. The 69 firebird has always been my favorite car. I was sixteen when it came out and have always wanted one. I couldn't afford a Trans Am then and I surly couldn't afford a real T/A convertible now so I built one... just with a few changes. lol It took me 3 yrs to build and countless man hours in my home garage. As for cost....well....good thing its a hobby and not how I make my living. I probably will never sell the car. Just drive it and play with it. Hope this helps.

Sam

Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Sam, I think he meant to say that Not part of a business building a promotional car.

It's a great build and simply amazing that you built it at home. Kudos!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Sam , what an amazing car, my first car was a 69' Bird, in 81' i think the best looking body style of all and i like you, I always drooled over the T/A's, but so few were made, i think you did the original design justice with your upgrades and built a one of a kind Poncho to be very proud of love the striped Valve covers makes that engine look right at home, just as the always innovative designers at pontiac would have done in the day if they had access to the parts we do now....if i ever do another build after the 66' tempest it will be a 69' Bird, thinking resto-mod canyon carver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4928.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	220961   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4906.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	220962  

Old 10-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Senior Chief

Sam I just read this entire thread for the first time. Everything you did is very nice. I am happy for you and happy you made your dream car come true. Great story.
Thanks for sharing.

Paul

Old 10-12-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
Sam, I think he meant to say that Not part of a business building a promotional car.

It's a great build and simply amazing that you built it at home. Kudos!
David, looking back at the post, I think your right. I hope my answer was appropriate. Thanks for the Kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instg8ter View Post
Sam , what an amazing car, my first car was a 69' Bird, in 81' i think the best looking body style of all and i like you, I always drooled over the T/A's, but so few were made, i think you did the original design justice with your upgrades and built a one of a kind Poncho to be very proud of love the striped Valve covers makes that engine look right at home, just as the always innovative designers at pontiac would have done in the day if they had access to the parts we do now....if i ever do another build after the 66' tempest it will be a 69' Bird, thinking resto-mod canyon carver
Instg8ter, thank you. My brother had a 66 tri power GTO when we were in high school. I loved that car. That got me hooked on Pontiacs. That Tempest of yours brings back memories. Nice car. Hurry up and finish it so you can build a firebird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Chiefs View Post
Sam I just read this entire thread for the first time. Everything you did is very nice. I am happy for you and happy you made your dream car come true. Great story.
Thanks for sharing.

Paul
Paul, thank you for the compliments.

Sam

Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM

hey sam, as i said before the car is fantastic love all the modern touches, everyone here compliments me on the 3rd brake light addition to the spoiler that i got from you, its pretty wild at night ,glad you won best f/b at the show heres a pic of mine finished in a more traditional way. good luck , dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	221162  

Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves57 View Post
hey sam, as i said before the car is fantastic love all the modern touches, everyone here compliments me on the 3rd brake light addition to the spoiler that i got from you, its pretty wild at night ,glad you won best f/b at the show heres a pic of mine finished in a more traditional way. good luck , dave

Awesome, Dave! The car looks great!

Sam

Old 10-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Suspended

can you imagine how cool the TA would be with the RAV engine set up from Lynn? Nice work on it tho, lot of fabrication excellently done.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick View Post
can you imagine how cool the TA would be with the RAV engine set up from Lynn? Nice work on it tho, lot of fabrication excellently done.
OOOOH, Yes! But oh the $$$$$$. Thanks for compliment.

Sam

Old 10-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Wow,You did a great job on that car.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just viewed this thread for the first time, nicely crafted!

Old 05-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Sam, I too just read through the entire post and am very impressed with the car. It's projects like yours that push me farther toward the idea of doing the LS swap someday. Reall cool build.

1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Sam, every once in a blue moon I run across a truly amazing car build on the Net, and this is definitely one of them. Yours is one of the most well executed Pontiac restomods I have ever seen. The interior blows me away, I only wish I had half your talent (and the time!!). Fantastic work.

- Bob

Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp View Post
Wow,You did a great job on that car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmanmitch View Post
Just viewed this thread for the first time, nicely crafted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stobin View Post
Hey Sam, I too just read through the entire post and am very impressed with the car. It's projects like yours that push me farther toward the idea of doing the LS swap someday. Reall cool build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wanabee View Post
Sam, every once in a blue moon I run across a truly amazing car build on the Net, and this is definitely one of them. Yours is one of the most well executed Pontiac restomods I have ever seen. The interior blows me away, I only wish I had half your talent (and the time!!). Fantastic work.

- Bob
Gentlemen, Thank you for the compliments. This car has been a blast to drive.

Thanks, again

Sam