73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 PM

Default rear package shelf insulation wanted

anyone know where I can get the rubber insulation that goes under the rear package shelf on my 73 Grand Am? when I removed the old insulation to have car sandblasted, the rubber was hard as a rock and broke into many pieces(just like the original nose). I bought a new package shelf a while back but the insulation I got with it was real thin. I want good insulation all around the inside to keep car quiet inside.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Pete, I would suggest putting Dynamat or other named sound deadener material under there, under the carpet, behind the door panels etc.... If your really wanting to make it nice and quiet. All this will be covered, so it won't show for originality also. When I pull the interior out of my car to clean, re-dye and replace the carpet; that's what I'm doing. Search on the net for sound deadening and you'll find all kinds and cost. BeQuiet, brown bread, dynamat...... Good luck on your Grand Am! Post pics when you can, look for pics of my car on here. David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Check at a local stereo shop, they usually have stuff like that in stock.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 AM
Senior Chief

Pete if you have a NAPA store close to you they have their on brand of sound deadener.