Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-27-2024, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Spoon feed poor info about the engine, dodge questions about it and even confuse the octane you want to run from the initial question and that doesn’t make difference?

Then come back just to say how stupid everyone is to stir the pot..what could go wrong?.…Lol

Old 03-27-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve95 View Post
I didn't come on here looking for anyone's approval ,speculation or Non-Real world knowledge or to have the parts I have been using Critiqued,
just wanted to see what other people were using and a few did that, its sad It turned out to be the **** show it was in the beginning but the internet will be the internet .
Yeah, you already said that twice. Nice vanity project tho. Glad it worked out.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm building a 455 with 11.4 to 1 compression my engine guy is confident I'll be able to run standard pump gas which around here is 91 octane but he's a race guy and I drive mine as a daily I do get into it every now and again at the local track but I think I'm going to have issues with the 91 octane on a Tri-State Cruise
Quote:

I'm concerned about the cam i have i don't have a calc to figure all that out i want to get every once of power i can out of her and still
pull up to the pump( cake and eat it to deal) just thought i would it out there.
Quote:
I'm glad I didn't listen the the Naysayer's and kept the faith in my builder , KRE, Butler and the guys over at Motortrend

I didn't come on here looking for anyone's approval ,speculation or Non-Real world knowledge or to have the parts I have been using Critiqued, just wanted to see what other people were using and a few did that .
Somewhere I misinterpreted your original posts as having doubts with your selection of parts and the specifics of your combination. I completely missed this part " just wanted to see what other people were using" in your original post. I'm glad your happy with your build and the engine is showing no signs of being octane challenged during the warm summer months. At the end of the day you received a bunch of good advice from board members here. But again, it was advice. If you choose not to take it (which you obviously did) it doesn't make the advice bad.... Just like the path you took doesn't mean it was the best, it's just the path you chose to follow.

If you're unhappy with the feedback you got maybe next time choose your wording more carefully. You originally implied you were second guessing your builders choice of compression ratio and selection of parts. Then months later you comeback and say you were never looking for anyone's approval ,speculation or Non-Real world knowledge or to have the parts you have been using Critiqued.

I'm quite happy you can lay rubber, you did good at your autocross event and above all happy with the new combination. We need all the Pontiac's out there we can get! If I knew anything about autocross I'd think your car would handle a little better if you lowered it some, but that'd be a good subject for another thread and we all know we want to keep our post count down.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Just for the record and not to russle any feathers, in terms of the comment in post 67 about cast rods running as good as aftermarket rods all you need to do is look at the weight difference.

In terms of the reciprocating weight a reduction in that has anywhere from 4 to 10 times the performance difference as that weight taken out of anywhere else on the car.

The improvement in the acceleration rate of a motor with even a 300 gram reduction in the motors rotating mass is substantial.
Whitmore had a customer who had a pretty stout 455 build and wanted to go to aluminum rods.
Dan did as requested, same everything, cam, heads, intake,carb CR ratio and it did not gain a thing at the track, zero.
It sounded like it revved quicker in neutral, but under a load did not rev any quicker.
Ran the same.