Old 06-19-2006, 02:52 AM
Senior Chief

Default wiper and glovebox ?

after 5 years of restoring ,i have mounted the wipers and glove box.
1: when i turn the wipers of,should it go back in start position,or just stop when i turn them of. mine just stops when i turn them off,they do not go back to start position.

2: my glove box door doesnt opens when i push the lock. i have to hold a screwdriver on top,and take it down. the spring on the hinge is working.
is it only the spring in the glovge box hinge,that is supposted to open the glove box,when i push the lock..
i have not the glovebox light,or the glove box light sensor mounted...

thx

Old 06-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kennth:
Your wipers should park at bottom of windshield when shut off.
The glove box door needs adjustment, mine sticks also, i have a light in glove box.
Did you replace your glove box lock cylinder? I am beginning to think it could be the problem as mine started sticking after i replaced the lock cylinder.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Senior Chief

my lock cylinder is original.
do anybody know the problem if the wipers dont stop at start position after turned off?,have i wired wrong.?

Old 06-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the ground. Which I believe the unit grounds itself.....????
No sure
BUT.
I had my fuel pump at one time tapped into the wiper motor and it did the same thing.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

i noticed today that my wiper was not grounding.i havent grounded the original ground fastener.
i tryed to ground it with a wire from battery negative pool.here is what happend.
1: the motor worked nice,all speeds,but didnt go off when i turned the switch off.did go off when i remo0ved the ground wire.
2:tryed to turn the double contact wire holder,with 3 wires 180 degrees. the fuse inside the car blew each time.........

buy the way,,didnt understand was the post below meant about this:
I had my fuel pump at one time tapped into the wiper motor and it did the same thing.

thanks

Old 06-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The darned wiper motor that has perplexed too It has something to do with the internals... Mine do the same dumb thing.. I have had people describe what is supposed to happen, but I have not had a good lesson on how to fix it.. I got a second motor to try to take apart and see if I could figure things out. It's a pile of pieces on my work bench right now :-)

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372

Last edited by vidguy; 06-20-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the glovebox....

The two screws on the bottom can be used to adjust the door. Loosen them and pull the bottom of the door out just a little. Retighten and try again....you can play with the adjustment this way until you get it right...

Brad

Old 06-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the wiper motor.... there is a shunt in the motor that will burn up if it is not properly grounded... check the ground on the eyelet through the bolt... i think it was one of the ones on the drivers side of the motor. Mine did the same thing ended up buying a new motor. No way to fix that one at home.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

i wasnt grounded thru the original ground place. so the wiper is burned then?
I TRYED AGAIN TODAY:
WIRED THE MOTOR,TURNED THE SWITCH ,IT WORKS ONLY AT HI SPEED.BUT IT TURNS OFF WHEN I RETURN THE SWITCH..WHEN I GROUND THE MOTOR ,THE FUSE BURNS.

TURNED THE DOUBLE WIRE CONTACT ON WIPER,IT WORKS AT LO AND HI SPEED,BUT DOESNT GO OFF WHEN I TURN THE SWICH OF.HAVE TO TAKE OF GROUND TO MAKE IT STOP. I PULLED THE WIRES ON THE SWITCH,AND IT STILL WAS GOING...

IS THIS A SIGN OF WIPER MOTOR BURNED,BEACAUSE OF NOT GROUNDING THE MOTOR AT FIRST PLACE?

THX

Old 06-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the power is constant to the wiper motor when the key is on, The wiper switch actually cut's the ground, which turns it off.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, Kenneth the shunt is burnt out of that motor. It uses the shunt to park the motor. When you get the new motor, make sure it is grounded through the eyelet before your plug it in and don't plug it in backwards ( "Turned the Double wire contact") . I basically did the same thing with mine and burnt the shunt out too. Order a new motor buddy!

Old 06-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Senior Chief

thx cardo..i will be looking for a new wiper motor....

Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would put one of those star type washers under the bolt to get a good ground. That sucks kenneth, The grounds can be tricky sometimes.
I think PY has them correct?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Senior Chief

yes i think thay have....am i correct that the ground i connected with a brass plate,going from the lower bolt,and then grounded to the wiper motor plate? how is it secured to the plate,with a rivet,or a bolt?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is two different ways of mounting the wiper motor, not the motor itself but the internal cam drive (for a 67 application). When the drive motor is not mounted to the firewall you will see a set of cogs, one position takes the wipers home and the other takes them up to fullly open, pull the motor off the firewall and turn the cam or cogs 90 degrees and re-mount and see if this cleasrs your problem. However if you tried the switch too many times you already burnt the unit up. 1967 multiple speed wiper motors are not available as a reproduction so try to find a used one somewhere (e-bay ?).

Tim