Old 12-29-2003, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

Are these supposed to be painted body color or black?

67 GTO winter project

Old 12-29-2003, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

Are these supposed to be painted body color or black?

67 GTO winter project

Old 12-29-2003, 10:22 PM

My car was originally Gold and after chipping some of the newer paint off I did find the factory Gold underneath. These are clearly visible behind the bumper, so I would think it would be body colour. ??

Brian

1967 GTO project in the works. 2000 GTP family hauler.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Except for one car all the ones that I have seen were the color of the car. BUT that one car was an unmolested 1967 GTO with 9000 (NINE THOUSAND) yes 9000 miles on it. It had black ones. So who is correct?

Old 12-30-2003, 03:53 AM

Old 12-30-2003, 07:08 AM

Wow, that's a cool picture. Maybe the colour varied from plant to plant? Hmmm. How long ago did you see that 9000 mile car? I hear there are many low mile old cars out on the island. I always wanted to go on a treasure hunt out there.

Brian

1967 GTO project in the works. 2000 GTP family hauler.

Old 12-30-2003, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine are black on my 67 built in Fremont Ca. in dec 66, and I am sure they were never changed or painted.

James Fasso
james@icvdm.com
'67 GTO Conv
"I told my parents I wanted to be a comedian
-But they just laughed at me"

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 12-30-2003, 06:53 PM

That's a great picture. Mine is painted body color and most others Ive seen have been body color as well. That picture and the info on the 9K mile original car are interesting. Anyone else with insight on this subject?

Old 12-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The ones on my 67 (Baltimore built) are black, as they were when I bought the car in 73. I parted out another 67 (Kansas City) with black. BUT, I have bought some other 67 fillers that were body color, and a pair of 66's that were body color. I beadblasted most of these, and the colors appeared original.

Old 12-31-2003, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 67 is black as well.
Brad

Hot Rod Cover Car -April '07
PHR Magazine Sept.'08
1244HP Pump Gas Dyno @ 11psi (32PSI MAX)
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...ipumpgas-2.flv
Old 12-31-2003, 06:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My fender extentions are black and everything I've seen leads me to believe that they are original. Built in Kansas. irgoatmike

Old 12-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Senior Chief

Just to add to the list:
Mine are also black. Baltimore plant,Nov. 1966.
Original car with 68K on her.

1967 Pontiac GTO
1965 Olds 442
2001 Pontiac TransAm WS-6

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967

GTO-The Great One for 1967
Old 01-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It seems like the black matches in nicely with the grill surround.

I know for sure on the '67 Lemans they are body color, but those cars have a silver grill surround, so a black fender extension would really stick out.

Also, it seems that '66 extensions were also body color.

Old 01-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Senior Chief

My experience on the '67 GTO and LeMans are as follows:
GTO has Black and the LeMans has body color for the same reasons that Andre mentioned.

You can't go wrong on a restoration by painting them black on a GTO.

Bob Kazian
Greer, SC
bobgoat67@aol.com

Old 01-03-2004, 07:06 PM

The vast majority (if not all) the Baltimore built '67 GTOs I have seen at shows have body color painted extensions (just like Tempest & LeMans cars have). Now, I am NOT saying that ALL Baltimore built '67 GTOs were built this way, but I have seen way too many (very high percentage) of Baltimore cars with body color painted extensions to assume this is what was done at the Baltimore plant. Conversely, I have never seen a Pontiac built with body colored extensions. As for the other plants that built '67 GTOs (Framingham, Kansas City, or Fremont), I am not sure.

I believe the designers intended the GTO extensions to be painted black to match the grille bezels. The question is why the Baltimore plant did not follow this painting procedure? Perhaps this information "fell through the cracks" at the Baltimore plant. Or, maybe someone in management at the Baltimore plant decided to skip the black paint for GTO extensions as the Baltimore plant built relatively few GTOs (compared to the Pontiac plant), and therefore thought it wasn't worth the hassle. Unfortunately, the person to ask is probably very old or dead by now, so we probably will never know for sure.

BTW - The assembly manual makes no note how these extensions are to be painted.

Old 01-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car was originally signet gold and the exensions were black. Just bought another pair and they were also black.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After following this posts since its beginning, I must chime in. I bought my first GTO in 1969, and have been restoring them since 1977, long before it became popular. I have owned and restored GTOAA concours winning GTOs. I have also judged the concours classes (67) at the GTO Nationals before they went to their present format. I have owned over 1 dozen 67 GTO's, including 4 original paint cars, 1 with 26,000 original miles, one with 29,000 original miles, one with 53,000 miles, and one with 75,000 original miles. 2 were red, one was blue, and one was cream. Every 67 GTO that I have owned OR seen (with original paint) has had extensions painted body color. Now, I am not arguing with anybody on this board. I do not have the knowledge of the plants that these cars were built, although most of the cars,at least in my area, were built in Pontiac. Again, I don't care to start an argument. If someone has a true original paint car that has black extensions, then evidently it was built that way. It would sure be great to have someone who worked at a plant during that time would could clear up things like this. I do know of these 'assembly line' pictures that have caused controversy in the past. Just my opinion.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-04-2004, 10:48 AM

On this subject of the 67 GTO fender extension color here is what I have seen, verified and noted since first becoming aware that not all 67 GTO's had black fender extensions. Starting in November of 1973 until this present time I have owned a total of 14 1967 GTO's. Starting with a Signet Gold HO Ht., all 14 1967 GTO's of various colors except black had the fender extensions painted semi-matt black, the same as the grillsorunds. What made me aware that some were not painted black was during the 4-year restoration of a Regimental Red HO Ht. I started to go to more national show events, the first being the 1989 GTOAA Nationals in Columbus Ohio, it was at that event and subsequent other events since, that I began to notice cars with the fender extensions painted body color. At first I thought that because these cars appeared to have been repainted that, that might have been the reason but was not really sure. When I began to look over some of the survivor cars, is when I began to see that again the extensions were painted body color. Up until now all cars I had owned had black extensions and some others ( a small percentage) I had seen had extensions painted body color, after talking to the owners of these cars and checking the cowl tag I began to think I found the answer, at least one that is understandable. You see; All the cars I have seen with fender extensions that are painted body color had been built at the Baltimore GM Plant and most of the cars I have owned were built at the Pontiac Plant, I owned one car that was built at the Fremont CA. Plant and one that was built at the Kansas City Plant again all of them had the fender extensions painted black and all with the exception of two had their original paint, and those two were resprayed in their original colors. I know that from the factory photos I have seen that they appear to me to be black, that all other cars I have seen other than the ones built in Baltimore are painted black, that all the ones I have owned have been painted black and as of now I don't know of any written documentation that supports this issue one way or the other. I have restored two gold concourse level awarded 1967 GTO's but I would not be so arrogant as to say that a given car should have them painted black or body color, this is just one of those issues that without documentation it is not yet totally solved, we need more input from others.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone asked how long ago I saw the 9000 mile car. A friend of mine bought it several years ago from the original owner and sold it about 4 years ago. I dont know it's present whereabouts. It was great to look at a low mileage car that nobody screwed with. The car was in excellant shape with no rust but being in factory original condition would never win anything at a show. Too bad people favor over restored cars to an original survivor.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:39 AM

I didn't have any idea what color they were supposed to be so I made a compromise and painted the whole car black.