Old 03-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Senior Chief

Default 7 Blade Fan Restoration

Any suggestions on how to clean up and restore the cooling fan on a '67 GTO?
I tried sanding (lightly) the blades and then cleaning them up with metal polish. Doesn't look too bad but I can still see little black specs in the metal and I'm not real happy with the way they came out.
I would like to hear from others that have run into this before. I'm sure there is a better way to do these fans. I would really appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967
-----------------------------------
Old 03-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Copied out of our club newsletter

I didn't write this but a very knowledgeable person in our club who restores only GTO's wrote this. I hope it helps.
--------------

In many restorations I’ve seen, fan blades are often incorrect or restored in the wrong way. In this article I will discuss what blades are correct for what years and how to properly refinish them. Every GTO produced from 1964 to 1967 came from the factory with an aluminum 7 blade clutch fan. Tempest and LeMans came standard with a steel 4-blade fan; the 7 blade was optional without A/C or standard with A/C. In 1968 to 1972 only air conditioning cars were equipped with a clutch fan, non-A/C cars had a 7 or later 5 blade “flex fan” with an aluminum spacer (this will be discussed in a later article.)

The diameter and pitch can easily identify the fan blades. The diameter is measured from tip to tip (the farthest distance across the fan.) The pitch can be measured by setting the fan on a level surface and measuring the highest point on the blade (also a good way to check straightness.) The same fan is used on all non-A/C GTOs produced from 64 to 67. It has an 18’’ diameter and the part number is #977014, it can be easily identified by the way the tip of the blade is slightly bent about 30 degrees. A 64 GTO with A/C or H.D. cooling uses a 19 ½” diameter fan with a pitch of 2 3/16” the part number is #977013. A 65 GTO with A/C or H.D. cooling uses a 19 ½” diameter blade with a small notch cut out of the blade at the tip for added clearance. A 66 to 67 GTO with A/C or H.D. cooling used a 19 ½ diameter fan with a 2 ¼” pitch. This fan looks similar to the 64 except it has square tips. Overall the standard fan was an inch and a half smaller then the A/C or H.D. fan and they all used the same style of thermostatic clutch unit.

Nothing looks better then a freshly restored engine compartment with the fan restored correctly. If your car is already done this could be a great weekend project. The appearance of the blades should be natural aluminum with the steel center painted about 80% to 90% gloss black. Some people believe they should be painted all black, but I have found on every original car I’ve seen they have been natural aluminum. I have also seen NOS fans this way. This look can be achieved quite easily with some patience and time and look better then NOS! First inspect the fan for damage, check the blades for straightness, cracks and excessive pitting or deterioration. A bent blade can usually be straightened out using a block of wood and a plastic mallet. Most likely the blades will have to be blasted; if they’re painted I recommend soda blasting because it will only remove the paint and it will not etch or pit the aluminum. If the fan is oxidized and/or rusty in the center I recommend bead blasting using a lower pressure. Do not sand blast, they will come out too pitted and will not look right! Once they are fully stripped take a burgundy scotch brite (extra fine) or triple zero steel wool and lightly polish the blades (be sure to always go in the same direction) they should have a slight shine but not too shiny. Next clean the blades with Pre Kleano or similar product making sure to remove all of the black residue. Carefully mask off all of the blades leaving the steel center exposed for painting, try to slide the tape under the steel center for a better job. I recommend the 2 inch green 3M masking tape for this job, it will go faster and the paint will not bleed through on the edges. Once it’s masked Pre Kleano the center again and prime with good a self etching primer; once the primer is dry use a gloss black lacquer to paint the center. I recommend Dupil Color or Krylon do not use enamel it will come out too shiny. Paint the fan from many angles to be sure you have paint on all of the edges, it easy to miss some. At the factory the blades were riveted to the center after the center was painted black so to replicate that look paint the head of each rivet silver with a Testors enamel paint marker (available in most hobby shops.) You can now un-mask the blades and enjoy the results, be sure not to touch the silver for a while, it takes a good hour to dry to the touch. I do not recommend clearing the aluminum because it will eventually yellow and chip off the edges. To keep the blades clean use window cleaner and some steel wool or a scotch brite. While the fan is off the car this is also a good time to check your clutch unit for leaks. If it is oily or you can see oil in you fan shroud or under your finger guard it needs to be replaced. Just install and enjoy the new detail under the hood in your GTO!

Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the information!
Looks like I will have to find someone that can bead blast the fan. I'm sure it will look better than the way I have trying (sanding/polishing), I just don't like the way it's coming out right now.
I really wish that Pontiac could have painted the blades (like most others did) in semi-gloss black, I would have made things much easier.

Thank you again, I really appreciate the info.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem. Good luck

Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

For the crevaces and the arms I used a brass wire brush. For the blades and the arms to finish it off I used a Porter cable orbital sander on mine with 220 grit paper to get out all the imperfections, then I wet sanded it with 300, 400 then 600 grit paper. After that I buffed it out till the blades warmed up a bit. Came out awesome. Took a few hours overall as mine was grimey to begin with. It was well worth the time spent.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in H.S. when I was rebuilding the 389 at the Vo-Tech shop one of my friends asked if I wanted him to polish up my fan.He brought it back in a couple days looking great!At the time I didn't know the blades were aluminum.

Thanks for the article