Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ha ha, he said hump!

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
no return spring needed with the hydro clutch.
http://www.abodysite.com/frameentry.html

What keeps the pedal up?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the pressure plate will quickly return the fluid back through the system and push the pedal back.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some progress made last night.

I took the OEM brake pedal assembly out. OMG. Ductwork to be removed. Wires added over the years across the pedal support that had to be moved. I.E., cut and spliced out of the way. Unhook the brake booster rod. Move the brake booster out to move the rod out of the way. Not much room to loosen and remove those booster nuts! Drop the cover under the steering column. Had to move the electric fuel pump switch I have mounted in it 1st. Move those fuel pump switch wires. Drop the steering column. Remove the bracket attached to the bottom of the column for more room. Then work and rotate the pedal assembly out while trying NOT to wound 40+ year old wires. All this while either standing on a step stool trying to see across the booster (or through the ends of my fingers....) or lying on my back. Blinded by a trouble light. My day job does NOT prepare me for this. As Ed on Wheeler Dealers say's "job done".

I also drained the transmission pan and removed the trans dipstick and the cooler lines. I have a BM trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. Forgot about that..... That needs to come off, probably next. Then the drive shaft, parking brake, crossmember, trans. I'm excited to see if the crankshaft is ready for a pilot bearing.

I got the GM fluid in for the TKO. I could have either spent an hour or so driving across town to pick some up, but...I ordered it on-line and Summit sent it to me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boostermove.JPG
Views:	573
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	278153   Click image for larger version

Name:	fluidgm.JPG
Views:	566
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	278154  

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Should be fun checking the run out of the scattershield while the engine is in the car!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

David is this the newer Kiesler model with the case that they designed to minimize fitment issues? If it is, follow their installation instructions before you make mods that other posters had to do. They may have a different case all together on their transmission...... I will certainly be watching to hear if this case is really a "perfect fit" or if they have achieved a NEAR perfect fit

Karl

Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LuxuryLeMansLa. View Post
David is this the newer Kiesler model with the case that they designed to minimize fitment issues? If it is, follow their installation instructions before you make mods that other posters had to do. They may have a different case all together on their transmission...... I will certainly be watching to hear if this case is really a "perfect fit" or if they have achieved a NEAR perfect fit

Karl

Keisler makes some mods to it, but cutting will be required. I can count on that. Off it comes...... This is not one of their RS600 models (year long wait) or the new 700, which isn't even out yet.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT WHORE View Post
Should be fun checking the run out of the scattershield while the engine is in the car!
Plugs out and spin the motor by the damper bolt. I have a magnetic dial indicator. They sent me a big dollar QuickTime scattershield and I hope that helps. This engine has been rebuilt in the past and I don't know if it was line bored or not. We'll see how it goes.

I probably should get some longer dowel pins? Then again, if it's out of spec I'll need offset pins so I suppose I'll wait and see exactly what it needs before I get anything.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about getting the pedals in and the hyd clutch working correctly than I am about anything else........until I see the crankshaft for the pilot bearing, add that to the worry list.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

did you order adjustable dowels also? the bellhousing will most likely NOT line up to tremecs .005" spec. RobbMc has some nice ones, i'd recommend the .014 offset, but don't be afraid to get the .021 offset also, just in case. nothing worse than getting all set up to spend some quality time on your project, then find out you need more parts. it's the story of my life... also get a couple big nuts to weld on to the original dowels to get them out. hopefully, your luck will be better than mine and the bellhousing will line right up.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
Not sure where to look for the photo's?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

link was suppose to go right to the thread, guess that doesn't work...

hit the classified/resto forum up in the top left corner
then go to 73-77 a body tech archive
then it's the 4th thread down

Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How can you recommend the .014 off set dowel pins if you don't even know if its off or by how much? I think you have the right idea David, take measurements then order as needed.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

mine was off by .010, i ordered .007 dowels and spent 2 afternoons trying to get it dialed in but never got the .010 out of it, just chased it around. ordered .014 dowels and 2 moves it was good 2 go.

2 afternoons spent adjusting, plus 4-5 days(and another $9 for shipping) waiting, is frustrating. i could've avoided that by just ordering both sets instead of hoping .007 would work. doing research showed me that aftermarket scattershields don't line up real well, some worse than others, so just giving a guy some suggestions based on my experiences.

so that being said i'd recommend .014 dowels, AND also get the .021 dowels(like i previously said). unless Dave can patiently wait to order them(if he needs them) after indicating. just a suggestion and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ALL suggestions appreciated.
I'm in no hurry.
Once I get that far in I'll make the call then. If it requires offset dowels, I'm calling RobbMc. I have one of their starters and a couple of their fuel filters. They make and sell and STAND BEHIND good stuff.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone tried the adjustable eccentric dowls?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For all of your hard work and aggrivation, I'm sure you will enjoy having the overdrive and a clutch pedal David. Keep us updated as to your progress.
One of the guys I met when I was in Houston put the Tremec behind his 400 and has put 17,000 miles on his car since doing it 3 years ago. He said it was the best thing he ever did, made the car so much more enjoyable to drive.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If money is not an issue by all means order the dowels but better order all three sets or the one you don't order will be the set you need, Murphys law. Dowel sets are $28 ea so $84 plus shipping would get you there.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dismantled a bit more of the car this afternoon. I took the trans cooler off of the grille. Then I cleaned up all the trans fluid I drained all around inside the valance panel area.....
I pulled the plugs and took the distributor cap off. Took out the driveshaft. Unhooked the parking brake. Took the cross member bolts and the trans mount bolts out. I also lifted the car another 1.5 inches, just for laughs. 2.5 hours goes by quickly.

Keisler had backordered my tunnel hump. It shipped today.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to really play stupid on this dowl deal.I have been installing stick shift setup for more than 40 years.Ansen,RC, Mcleod and quicktime bells along with early and late style bells with almost every 4 speed,Tremics,TKO 500s and 600s and have never checked my runout and have never had a issue.Have I just been lucky?What happens if your a RCH off?Tom

Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

re: hump

why not get the unit sold by PY, Ames and others?

re: tom s

you don't get a red head then - they be finicky